Nvidia GTX 970

El-ahrairah

Prince with a thousand enemies
Im curious if there is anyone running this card at the moment... and if so what their experience is like.

I'm having all sorts of nightmares at the moment. For whatever reason the card is only utilizing 20-30% of available GPU in any kind of multiplayer situation (aka lots of cars on track). This severely inhibits my frame rate (:inlove:0fps). In SP/practice situations though it uses what i would call a normal chunk of GPU (80-90%) and the frame rate is awesome (100+).

Tried just about every variety of setting in the Nvidia control panel. Also tried several different driver versions. Research shows this is a pretty systemic problem with this card architecture and there seems to be almost no resolution put forward by Nvidia in the past 6 months (judging by post age).

I dont see this being a bottleneck issue with any other component since CPU and Mem usage is all nominal.

Screenshot examples...
TFlJiJd.png

yYgYWQK.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Something wrong with your CPU usage online. Can you see cpu load by core ? I think I read somewhere recently that AC was trying to do a lot of things on only 2 i7 cores and was hurting framerates.

I have an asus 970, triple screen 55 fps online full grid with only a fx-6300...

edit : here http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/2-cores-doing-all-the-work-on-i7-poor-frame-rates-with-full-field-of-cars.25917/

This is pretty much exactly my problem. After more research I can see only two CPU cores being utilized while the others pretty much idle. Seems to be an AC limitation, but it looks like they will try fix it in the future. Stefano tweeted just the other day they might be close to improve the games multithreading capability (aka use more than 2 cores) so hopefully a resolution is close.

I find my frames take a huge dive online when pTracker app is on, they drop from ~280 to ~160 in the pits then drop to around 100 in a big field with it on, it stays over 200 with it off. I have a GTX970 and a 4790K @ 4.5GHz with DDR3-2400.

Click off pTracker and see if it helps.

Last edited:
@RenZ_
I'm fairly certain this is down to the fact that AC is not a multithreaded application, thus it will only ever utilize 2 CPU cores. Because the single core performance of a 4790K is probably significantly stronger than the 4710MQ I have, you can still achieve >60 fps despite this limitation. Even performing tests with bare minimal graphical settings and no apps the FPS differences are negligible.

Take a look at the thread @PhilS13 linked above for more detail on the problem.

Kunos will almost certainly have to fix this for the console release, so I'll just have to sit tight until then.

I hope they do fix it for your sake, but honestly it is around 100FPS difference sitting in the pits turning pTracker on and off in a league practice session. I am surprised you didn't notice a difference, it sounds to me graphics related.

As you have a laptop and a GTX970M (equiv to a GTX960 desktop roughly), have you made sure the GPU is running in maximum performance mode properly? if it was a CPU limitation pTracker would change the FPS IMO.

Yeah I made all the configuration changes in Windows and the Nvidia driver to use max performance (aka **** the battery mode). I'll test the pTracker thing again tonight... if it makes a difference like you said then it might be a decent bandaid fix so I can at least play on busy servers.

@RenZ_
I'm fairly certain this is down to the fact that AC is not a multithreaded application, thus it will only ever utilize 2 CPU cores. Because the single core performance of a 4790K is probably significantly stronger than the 4710MQ I have, you can still achieve >60 fps despite this limitation. Even performing tests with bare minimal graphical settings and no apps the FPS differences are negligible.

Take a look at the thread @PhilS13 linked above for more detail on the problem.

Kunos will almost certainly have to fix this for the console release, so I'll just have to sit tight until then.
But is Stefano wrong in saying that cpu multi-threading has nothing to do with the FPS drop?

I still believe that is the core issue. Just turning off apps can help is all I am saying.

No doubt they will get it right for the console release, those AMD CPU's don't have huge single thread performance.

But is Stefano wrong in saying that cpu multi-threading has nothing to do with the FPS drop?

I get how trying to rebuff a statement made by Stefano probably wouldn't go down well... but I fail to see how it WOULDNT have an impact given the current evidence. Not just mine, but other players on the AC forum.

Also in that thread that Phil linked, another AC staff member did say they were aware of the current problem and are looking into improving it.

At the moment is as designed, AC mostly uses 2 cores, but we're working on it to improve resources usage.

Better side by side comparison of the two scenarios. Left half shows single car on t rack 120+ FPS. right half shows 22 cars on track 25~FPS. You can see in the first scenario CPU usage on the 2 cores is high but not maxed, whereas in the second scenario both are bricked, with thus puts the GPU into some form of panic mode.

Might attempt rollback to Win7 over the weekend see if there's much difference.

sLymJuv.png
sYYMhDl.png

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 144 7.5%