NSU TT vs Toyota Corolla - Killarney - Tue 16th October

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyertc65.jpg

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL
Class: NSU TT (Download) vs. Toyota Corolla ( Download )
Track: Killarney Motor Racing Complex ( Download )

Practice start time: GMT 19.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 19.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 19.30 ( 15 laps)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 19.50 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 20.10 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.20 ( 15 laps)

Note 1: Default Skins that come with the Mods Only ( Default list ).
Note 2: We are using the SIMBIN lobby for this event. See here how to switch lobby
Note 3: The cars listed next to your name are the cars in the order which you will be driving them.

Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

Entry List:
  1. Stuart Thomson - NSU / Corolla
  2. Rokas Charlapavicius - Corolla / NSU
  3. Tim Ling - NSU / Corolla
  4. Arnaldo da Anunciacao Junior - Corolla / NSU
  5. Hans Sneep - NSU / Corolla
  6. Ondrej Kapal - Corolla / NSU
  7. Roland Warmenhoven - NSU / Corolla
  8. Jack Smith - Corolla / NSU
  9. Carlos Diaz - NSU / Corolla
  10. Knut Omdal Tveito - Corolla / NSU
  11. Konstantin Paul - NSU / Corolla
  12. Jacob Boonstra - Corolla / NSU
  13. Eck Simpson - NSU / Corolla
  14. Rupe Wilson - Corolla / NSU
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver
Rules:
This is being held in our Club, using Club Rules, and should be driven in that spirit.

Two so close cars when it comes to performance and lap times. But so different impressions.

The first race was amazing. It couldn't have been better I think! I crashed during qualification (mark of really hard pushing) so I started last. I had very good start and amazing fight with Jack and red Toyota behind (sorry I didn't check the driver) - I was really pleased with myself, I mean, I was very close but still provided safety driving. It was so much fun.

But then it started to feel like I wore out the tyres. I lost confidence in the car and didn't push and later I was messing up my braking points. Knut caught me, we swapped twice so I was again in front of him, but then I hit the kerbs and lost my rear... I think that is all to mention.. Oh wait, once again, it was incredible race! I loved the Toyota.

The second race was worser. Like I mentioned I loved the Toyota, but I can't say the same about NSU. The Toyota was playful, going sideways everytime, predictable, quite forgiving but hey, it could punish you (like me). The NSU felt boring to me, very calm, it wasn't pleased when you pushed a bit more to get just small slide. Not suitable to my racing style. I spun in quali (again, mark of hard pushing :D) and started last again.

But I had another great start, a lot of NSUs spun in front and I settled at 4th place. I was doing stable times, it felt good, but alone racing. Until green angry NSU got behind. We swapped at the same point like in the previous race with Knut, but he did the same mistake and again I was in front. But a lap later I again hit the kerbs and it ended up with very bad parking position:
vlcsnap-2012-10-16-23h04m03s232.jpg

Not only that it took time to get out, because I didn't know where the hell I am :D But the car was quite damaged. It couldn't go straight anymore and in turns it was pretty nervous.

Thanks for very nice evening guys, see you in a week for another challenge in the championship ;)

WOW, what a lovely track and what a great pair of very well matched cars. They drive very differently, but the pace was basically identical for both, at least for me. Well done Stu and Knut!

The NSU keeps you on the edge, I actually find it trickier to drive than the RSR. The Rolla just LOVES to loose the rear under hard braking and downshifting if you aren't smooth. Both cars EXTREMELY involving to drive. Goes to show that huge HP is not needed to keep you on your toes.

Race1) Spent the ENTIRE race chasing Rolly who did an exceptional job of keeping the gap to me steady, I didn't see him make any mistakes, at least not any that I could take advantage of. Nice drive Rolly.

Race2) Had a nice battle with Rupe, I overtook him, he overtook me, and then he spun which put an early and sad end to our little squabble. Then it was a bit of Deja vu when I found myself chasing Thommo down but just couldn't close the gap, we must have been running identical times lol.

Grats to Thommo for both races.

Mixed emotions after these two...

Race 1:

My qualifying attemps have become something of a "legendary" ones. This time I messed up the hairpin, so I thought that if I haven't completed my lap I would get to do another one. Wasn't the case as I was frantically waved off by Stuart (sorry mate :redface:). Then we had a race. No wait, correction, everyone else had a race :D. In the first few corners I was crowded out and instantly became involved. Two guys spun in front of me. One of them was Konstantin, the other one was Hans maybe? The latter ended up completely sideways and despite my best effort to get to the grass I hit him gently. That separated me from the field and I was down in 9th for most of the race in one of the dullest rides of my life. Then, as usual, there was a few random spins from the others, two of them in fact, and I picked my way up to 7th in my Corolla.

Race 2:

Qualifying was marginally better (as I expected in a NSU) and I qualified in the midfield. At the beginning I was once again in 7th behind Ondrej and tried to keep up. I spent the majority of the race behind him, closing on him only in the latter stages of the race. Meanwhile, there were more casualties, this time I think it was Knut and Hans, who both spun. So all of a sudden I found myself going after Ondrej for 4th rather than 6th. So, like I said, I started to close on Ondrej in the latter stages of the race as his tires seemed to start fading away. Then, only a handful of laps from the end, as he was exiting the fast double right-handler before the longest straight, he got too much curb which got him out of shape and shot him across the circuit into the barriers (very unlucky mate :(). After this I was left in 4th for the remainder of the race.

Well done to all the podium finishers, I wasn't threatning them today.

Rokas

Till we meet again....

I did not participate in the race because I used the wrong timezone. : (

Where do I find this information on the forum?

Where are you? I will try to tell you at what time locally the race starts. It's 19:00 GMT right now because Europe is in Daylight Saving Time until the 28th of Oct I believe. After that they start at 20:00 GMT.

:thumbsup:
I wasn't expecting to race today but its what i needed to do...
And you guys made me feel allot better with the great banter on t/speak.. BIG BIG THANKS
but id been practising yesterday evening and was felling good with both cars, each having there strong points in certain parts of the track,
So i arrived late and had a blast. In race 1 the laps went so quick and before i new it we were crossing the line ... great racing Stuart...and a nice big field, GTL rocks...
Race 2 was also fun while it lasted, great fun and was hoping me and Carlos was going to catch up Stuart and put some pressure on him, but no i got cramp in my calf and that was it ... my right leg was shot... ahhhhh the pain nothing worse ..i tried to carry on with my left
leg doing all the work but it was no use...so i retired and watched from the side..
I was standing most of the day in my heels...(boots with heels) honest..:redface: new rock planet
...This is a great track made even better by a great group of racers with 2 cars that are so much fun.. thanks to Stuart for giving us a great night ...and all the gtl clan...you made my day/night complete...:):cry::D
And Knut get well soon that's an order
Right, time for a coffee and a fag..:p

Great Fun Race Night !!
Surprise for me Q on p5 with the NSU,but as usual lost it in T1 an continue from last place,but there was never a dull moment in the race,T2 I think 3 guys of manage to avoid it, having nice battles here an there the 15 laps where over before I now it did not no where I finn but who give a d... after having a great time on track !:cool:
R2 Corolla, the story is all most the same as in race 1,Q on p8 last after T1 but again no dull moment in race :) !
Grats Stu twice ! thanks guys for a great race evening !!:D

This is the burden of the Race Admin - we set up events that we think (well, that we know) will work, and that people will enjoy if they have the right attitude, but then we still have to cross our fingers and hope we're right. It's gratifying when it comes off like last night.

I knew, remembering a couple of races from more than 18 months ago, that these cars are very close in pace, and that we have the makings of a VERY nice TC65 group. The races I am talking about (some of you may remember them) were around Doni National & Magny Cours National, and a load of us had 2 really good multicar battles right through both races. I clearly remember I used the Fulvia 1600 that night, and had superb racing with Warren in his Mini, Carlos in his NSU, Hutch in a Corolla.

As for last night, Race 1 was immense - me & Rupe in NSU & Corolla respectively absolutely nose to tail from gun to flag. It soon became apparent where each car had an advantage, but they were so slight that we were less than 0.5 sec apart for about 10 laps. The Corolla was slightly quicker through T1 & T2, the NSU was then slightly faster through T3, T4 and the double T5 & T6, all of them sitting nicely in it's 3rd gear power with enough revs to still have some pull. The Corolla then just had the edge (but I really do mean "just") on the back straight, so pretty much every lap was a case of who could nail the last turn best, and who could brake the latest into T1. Rupe put a very nice move on me in R1, going round the outside of the last turn, and holding the tight line into T1. Then we had about 10 laps where I could just about get level, but Rupe was able to pick his lines to make it look extremely unappealing. Eventually, I got a better exit out of the last turn, on the tight line into T1 and made it stick as Rupe went a little wide. I was expecting him to come straight back at me because of the previous 10 laps, but he dropped a wheel over the kerb and gave me some breathing room of about 1.3 sec. Until the penultimate lap where he absolutely nailed the last turn and took 0.6 out of me, but that was the gap at the end. Loved the NSU, it's a fine mod, and a very quirky alternative. Heavy steering, long rev range and fat torque curve - because you aren't rowing away at the gearstick it doesn't feel fast, but it is.

R2 was a bit quieter, although with me & Rupe again qualied 0.01 sec apart in opposite cars, so was expecting more of the same. We quallied behind Eck & Knut, but I got a good start and settled in behind Knut, who slowly pulled away to about 2 sec. There seemed to be a bit of chaos behind me, as I saw multiple names in 3rd, changing virtually every timing split. Knut then had a spin in the fast double left hander going onto the back straight, and I inherited the lead. After that I was able to maintain the approx 2sec gap to Carlos until the flag.

TS afterwards was a real postmortem of the event, people expressing their prefs for the NSU, others for the Corolla, Knut sharing his setup tip for the Corolla (increase Front Bump essentially), Tim giving it a go and changing his opinion on the Corolla to something more favourable, favourable comments about the track pretty unanimously.

Sometimes, just sometimes, setting yourself up to be shot at by posting events can be worth it. Last night was.

A slightly better night, though not much.

The NSU was enjoyable to drive, and somehow I managed to Q6. Carlos messed up his start & Hanson fell off at T1, so up to 4th! I was still with the pack coming into the last turn, buy a little to much gas put me into last. A phone call near the end of the race completely blew my concentration, leading to last place.

I had to go out before R2, and just made it back in time for Q2, getting P11. However driving the corolla was like driving on ice. Persistent enterprise won me last again.

As Thommo said, Knut's damper adjustment made the corolla more manageable (front b4/r3 rear b2/r1), though I haven't had time to test it properly.

[EDIT] WATCH OUT! "REALLY LONG POST" ALERT!! [/EDIT]

I very well do remember the Doni/Magny Cours event Stuart mentioned, as it was my first RD club race ever. I never saw anything of that NSU/Corolla fight though, as I was stuck at the back:laugh:

I do recall my first attempt of driving the NSU @ Zolder too, and remembered it to be quite a handful.
During my practice laps for this event on monday, I struggled quite a lot to get to grips with either car, I got mad at myself because I couldn't figure out how to drive them properly and as a result I really didn't like them. The first time I got into the Corolla after driving the NSU made me like the NSU more already though, as that little Toyota felt like driving a rallycar with slick tyres on ice at first. Boy that was... eh.. weird.. Must have checked XD for flat tyres at least 5 times..:D

But, the track was awesome as I learned last week already, so fun was to be had regardless..

Race night was indeed a different ball game. Stu uploading his setup:notworthy: helped my driving the Corolla a LOT, especially when braking. So spent all my P1 time in that one, whilst having to drive the NSU first.
Switching from that to the NSU just before Q1 made that feel easy though. So after a reasonable Q1 lap and R1 start and some others spinning off I quickly found myself up into 3rd place, watching the Stuart vs. Rupe battle unfold a few seconds ahead of me (in fact I almost crashed a few times :O_o: because I was too busy watching their battle :laugh: ), unable to get any closer, but managing a steady gap to Carlos behind.
And did NOT crash for 15 laps! And, I didn't crash in 15 laps!! So a somewhat lonely, but solid drive to 3rd place! unexpected, but sweet!

The Corolla for R2 promised to be more of a struggle. I managed good laptimes in P2, but consistency was not to be found. After a not too great Q2 and R2 start I found myself mid-field, but gradually progressed forwards due to others' misfortune. So without really overtaking anyone on-track, I eventually found myself as far up as 3rd again, now watching Carlos ahead of me chasing Stuart. And again, my plan to just brake-earlier-than-I-think-I-need-to and Accelerate-slower-than-I-think-I-can paid off as AGAIN I did NOT crash!! DID. NOT. CRASH.!! :confused:
For me, that's quite an achievement. As is finishing in 3rd place again, although I got DQ'ed after the finish for driving the wrong way :roflmao:

Good results help a lot to get to like a car/track of course, as does seeing other seasoned racers struggle like yourself. So in retrospect I like this track even more now, both its layout and atmosphere, and still love the little NSU for its bathtub looks.
About driving the Corolla, well, I'm not sure yet. Maybe it takes a little more skills to drive than I'd like it to, but no doubt these 2 cars absolutely make a perfect match!

Thank you Stuart for another top notch event, Knut for introducing the track (me thinks?)!:thumbsup:
Grats to Stuart for a double and to Rupe and Carlos for 2nd.
And thank you all for being a great bunch of guys to play this game with, I had an absolute blast last night. Hope to CYA soon!

I found the NSU TT very easy to control while I constantly struggled to manage the Corolla, especially in turn 2 and the last Banked corner. I could not consistantly find the right balance between braking and gearing in these turns. Overall, come race time, my times where close for both vehicles.

In Race 1 I inherited the corolla..so I knew I was in for a bit of a hairy one, only because of those two before mentioned corners... and they got me several times.

After a fair start I settled into mid pack and fighting with several drivers but mainly Ondrej I believe. He showed experience and wisdom when trying to get by me as I was a bit irratic at times. Tried to hold off Knut near the end but that Banked corner got me again and he easily slipped by. Finished 7th but mainly due to others having the same troubles as myself.

In Race 2 driving the NSU I went off the Banked corner during qualifying which sent me to last position for the start. 3/4 through lap one I had moved up to 10th spot only to go wide and slide off the Banked corner..last again, but I felt that I could catch up some because I really had a setup that suited me. In lap 2, I encountered a struggling Tim and I luckly avoided a major accident but we did make contact...no major damage. Seconds later I was able to sneak inside a sliding wide Tim at turn 2.and now I saw Hans down the road. Ahhh... the joy of the challenge....so much more fun when you are in the mix with others. After getting close to Hans and company I went off the Banked corner again. Really surprised because the car felt great...oh well...still 13 laps to go. Next thing I know Jacob is behind me and we have a couple rounds until I spun off. From here to the end I was having a great race fighting with Hans and Jacob and near the end they faultered which moved me to now 8th. Moments late I passed Knut who had an off..so I finished 7th.
Very enjoyable. WD podiums: Special stars to Stu and Roland for double medals..not an easy feat and yes Rupe and Carlos you were there also for a podium moment. All around great experience Stu. Cheers to all drivers.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back