• Goodbye Dan Gurney, and thanks for the memories...
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Follow RaceDepartment also on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and / or YouTube.

EU NSU TT @ Macau - Tues 17Oct17

Discussion in 'R3E Racing Club & Leagues' started by Ross Garland, Oct 6, 2017.

Added to Calendar: 17-10-17
  1. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Oh no! It's him again! Premium

Ratings:
    +2,196
    @Vertigo346 It's actually surprisingly easy to get a cut at Macau, especially in that hairpin.

• Wow Wow x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Vangelis Parginos

Vangelis Parginos
    Greek SimRacing Community Premium

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Sorry guys i have to sign out. :(
    Have fun and see you Thursday. :thumbsup:

• Sad Sad x 4
  3. Patrick Fournier

Patrick Fournier
    Death by snoo-snoo Premium

Ratings:
    +479
    Ah yes, during practice it just says off track warning or invalidates your lap when you touch the rail, I guess it'll count as a cut during the race....... that should be.... interesting...

4. Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan

Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan
    Mr. C Premium

Ratings:
    +1,304
    I think this hasn't been tested quite good, the more you delay the slow down the more time it ad's up, example: last WTCC round with me and Otner, got a cut on T1 decided to take the penalty in T2, at the cut moment I had 1.2 by T2 it was 2sec and either way you have to really slow down not just eas the throttle and invoking the FUN thing, if you get a cut by mistake (lost control of the car, tried a bit hard, you are in a battle, someone passes you a bit hard and you are forced wide)by having a drive trough it takes all the FUN of the club event, with a slow down you might catch up and battle again.
    Also in Macau it's very easy to get a cut, if you touch the walls (and you will touch the walls) you get a cut, so be careful out there

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala

Ratings:
    +2,196
    Yes, though there's also a contact penalty in effect, and it's very hard to read the text, given that it's yellow on white background, so it's kinda easy to confuse the two.

Also, during the race, drive through notifications show up for everyone, and they cover the virtual mirror, which will also be fun.

6. Ross Garland

Ross Garland
    R3E & AMS Club Manager Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,732
    All the more reason for people to race without cutting then, isn't it? Slow-downs have just as many issue like the one I mentioned, as well as ghosted cars remaining on the racing line and reappearing right in front of people. No system is perfect and never will be, so it's about using what we have to get the best result we can. In my view that is currently drive-throughs.

7. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala

Ratings:
    +2,196
    Well, to me, it kinda comes off as trying to make the racing as unenjoyable for everyone as possible based on some unfounded and very much subjective impression there's supposedly a lot of people "abusing" slow downs. I'm not a big fan of punishing everyone for something a few individuals might (or might not) have done. It rarely works as intended anyway.

But I guess that's also just a subjective view and don't worry, I'm (hopefully) past arguing about stuff like that here. I know I'm the "vocal minority" and such here, so let's just race (or not if it turns out to be too frustrating).

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan

Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan
    Mr. C Premium

Ratings:
    +1,304
    like I said above, what about when you get an unintentional cut?In my view the better system is with slowdowns as I stated above, each cut is handled differently and the longer you wait to do it the longer the penalty will be, but my view is pointless as I am just a racer.
    I really don't get it how you can abuse a slowdown? can someone enlight my stupid brain?
    ty

p.s. not looking to argue or something just want to know, as from what I know you can't abuse slowdowns

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  9. Ross Garland

Ross Garland

Ratings:
    +2,732
    You're right Martin, I have no idea what I'm doing, have zero experience, and the decisions I take as club manager are completely random and founded on nothing but my own whim on any given day. I don't need evidence I've collected with my own Mk1 eyeball or race replays week after week, I just wake up and think "I'm gonna do this today, just for the hell of it!" :rolleyes:

If we weren't bothered by what "a few individuals" do, then we would not need any rules whatsoever. Rules aren't there because the majority are a problem, they're there to keep the minority in check.

The fact is that this switch is going to have an absolutely negligible affect on racing for the vast majority of people. That's already been proven by the fact that it's been used for a number of weeks already and yet there was no sudden rush of complaints, was there?

Those that don't cut will never notice the change. Those that do get warnings before getting a penalty, giving them an opportunity to clean up their act. Yes, there will be a few occasions when someone gets penalised harshly, but exactly the same thing happens with slow-downs too. And guess what? When it does, people bitch about it. So whatever system we use people will always complain and feel hard done by when it fails to do it's job 100% accurately... just like real racing drivers do whenever they disagree with the stewards, which is pretty much all the time.

10. Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan

Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan
    Mr. C Premium

Ratings:
    +1,304
    @Ross Garland you are taking things a bit strong, I never suggested or dreamed that decisions are made randomly, I myself was an RD admin and might know a thing or two about being one.But my own opinion be it bad or not is that slowdowns has better effect on all the field, and I know I am one of those "abusing" the track limits or "abusing" the slow-downs and with each rule change I won't approach it any different, I am a competitive soul and by being competitive I have fun, having great battles and such.
    Last Sunday was a stop/go penalty and o boy half the field got it, me got it for pushing to hard, others from fighting and others from losing control of the car and even if they did stop or slowed down they still got a stop/go and I saw a lot of dnf, if less talented or people with less practice lose focus or control for a bit they get a drive through and their at the back of the pack with no chance of catching up
    If I am the problem, I will gladly not do Q session and start from the pack or if I infringe/abuse the slowdown will take a harsher RD penalty than see R3E club numbers fall, just saying...

11. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala

Ratings:
    +2,196
    It's not my fault that some of your decisions just come off as knee-jerk angry reactions to something you randomly experienced. It's really not. But by all means, you can blame it on me if you want, I'm OK with that I guess.

And I just don't understand the logic behind your decision. Apparently there's plenty of people abusing the slowdowns, enough so that it justifies tightening the rules for everyone in the club in your eyes. Since you seem to be able to tell reliably enough somebody is abusing the cut penalties (and we'll ignore the fact that it's actually debatable to mark as "abuse" something the game absolutely allows you to do), wouldn't it be better to simply punish the people who do abuse the penalties, instead of punishing everyone by making the penalties more harsh? And like I've mentioned elsewhere, I'd really love to know how to tell, since then I could spot the "cheaters" as well. Unless you're actually *not* able to tell for sure who's abusing the penalties and who's not, but that would mean I'm pretty much right and you really *are* just acting based on your subjective opinion/feeling that "he definitely is abusing the penalty, I'm sure of it", using your "Mk1 eyeball".

That's all I'll say about this.

12. Patrick Fournier

Patrick Fournier
    Death by snoo-snoo Premium

Ratings:
    +479
    There was a super scary post across the board a couple of months ago about admins cracking down on people abusing track limits, what happened with that??

13. M4LLY

M4LLY

Ratings:
    +331
    Sign me up please. Gonna try these cars in vr as they are slow but fun!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Ross Garland

Ross Garland

Ratings:
    +2,732
    Actually it is, because that's the way you personally are perceiving them. The reality is that it is not what they are at all.

That's hardly my fault, is it? I've already explained a couple of time so if you still don't get it then what more do you expect me to do?

That's exactly what we are doing. Why should we make staff's jobs harder and more time consuming with incident reports and personal penalties when there is an in-game solution which will only affect those abusing the rule we are trying to enforce?

It's really not that difficult. If someone gets a slow-down and continues to put their foot down to the next corner, they're taking advantage of a flawed game mechanic. If they do it more than once on the same part of the track, they're abusing track limits and the flawed game mechanic.

Great, so now let's just get on and enjoy some racing. :thumbsup:

15. BBKing212

BBKing212
    Premium

Ratings:
    +202
    It was great and intense race.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala

Ratings:
    +2,196
    That was absolutely amazing. I think I'll actually record replays for this one as well, even though I very rarely do that nowadays.

• Like Like x 6
  17. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +3,941
    That was great guys really fun to watch. Congrats to both podiums and brilliant racing all. Big plus, no disconnections.
    2017-10-17 2053 0003.jpg 2017-10-17 2054 0009.jpg 2017-10-17 2054 0015.jpg 2017-10-17 2054 0017.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  18. pjlee1998

pjlee1998
    Peter Lee Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +215
    Well that was awesome! Two wide through turn two and over and unders for the entirety of Lap 1 and 2 in Race 2 with @Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan and @Vertigo346, only for my own stupid mistakes to put me down to third :rolleyes:. Amazing fun though :D:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 6
  19. Kuba Oczos

Kuba Oczos
    Snoopy Premium

Ratings:
    +69
    Crazy one, very much alive with those little cars waving through narrow corners.

I am very sorry I have given a little tap to someone (in harpin 2nd race) what ended in his spun, I thought you will give me some space so we could get there side by side (was space to do so I believe), but as I was little bit behind so it is my fault :sick:

Then, on the literally last lap I accidentally pushed some button on my numeric keyboard so the camera switched to someone else car... Pretty funny, I was pretending I am driving when I just thought: "Wait is this my car? Seems it changed colors" Then started pressing some random camera control buttons and it turned out my car is looking straight into the wall at harpin agin :roflmao:

I also tried new FreeTrack cap this race as I got it today :cool: So much immersion it introduces but I am afraid I will not be able to drive with it; it lowers my fps significantly, when my average (when freetrack off) is around 40 fps on my ancient PC so it becomes hardly playable when there are many cars on grid :(

Thank you for the race and sorry once agin.

• Like Like x 8
  20. FeltHat

FeltHat
    Premium

Ratings:
    +632
    [​IMG]
    be careful, they are always watching :cool:

• Haha Haha x 5
    • Like Like x 1