1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

[Nov 19, 2013] R07: Week 47 WTCC (Laguna Seca)

Discussion in 'RACE 07 Racing Club & Leagues' started by Dennis Phelan, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan
    more about staying on track. Premium Member

[​IMG]

The server is setup with an extended first practice session of 900 minutes. Please only use this practice session when racing online for fun, do not vote it round to an official qualification or race sessions unless being asked to do so.

WTCC '06 and '07 cars, Vauxhall Vectra excluded
    Official Practice: 20:00 GMT
    Qualification: 20:30 GMT [Superpole]
    Warmup: 20:45 GMT
    Race Starts: 20:50 GMT, 45 minutes
    Games Needed: Race 07, Race On

Information
    Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM #R
    Password: Click here for the server password
    RaceLog: After each session your fastest laptime, result and rank are published inside the RaceLog system. Click here or quickly navigate to the RaceLog section of your choice via the navigation button on the site and forums
    Discuss, support, encourage and share!
    This event thread will be the central thread for WTCC discussions and race reports this week and we very much like to see your race reports :)

Our racing clubs are foremost meant to gain online experience so please help other drivers out when they have questions about the event, the car, the track, the setup or a combination. Remember that first post where somebody else helped you for the first time, helping is nice!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  2. Rapidly found myself in one of those expanding universe scenarios.
    Guy in front moving away.
    Guy behind moving back.
    Isolation.
    So I pitted.

Couple more laps at the end and I might have got Patrick back.

Speaking personally, I really don't have fun trying to nurse a car on ruined tyres for 20 minutes and nothing I do setup or driving wise seems to make them last. Now I know what feels like to be a current F1 driver. But one of the slow ones. Like Chilton. Hah!

If these events were 50 minutes instead, it might just make the difference for those that choose to pit and those that insist on ice dancing home.

Have you ever considered sometimes running this as a two race event? Same time, but over two 20 minute races?

Just thinking out loud.

Oh, and Justin, cheeky little overtake there down the corkscrew. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
  3. Justin Swan

Justin Swan
    RD-DVLC

We use to do 2 x 22min races in the Wtcc, I think it's probably only the last 6-8 that we've switched over to the 45 min races. I personally like them as they are right in the balance whether to stop or not. I was so close to stealing a second place tonight, so many reasons why I didn't make it work and all my fault but it was certainly a possibility. No chance of catching 1st place but I knew that when I was looking at the whole pack in front of me on the grid lol.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Justin Swan

Justin Swan
    RD-DVLC

I arrived late and was in a hurry :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan

WTCC, STCC and most other races, for the almost five years that I've been here, have been 2 x 20 minutes or 2 x X lap races. Mini Fridays has been the only exception and many of them were also run as multiple races at rotating venues[three different tracks on one day]. This is very relatively new and has brought changes.

There is much less contact between drivers with the long race and fewer complaints about drivers. Less cutting of corners also. So aggression has gone down and driver skills and race knowledge have increased, I know mine have. We went from a single 30 min race to a 40 min and it could be increased to 50 min :sneaky:

Just yesterday we ran the older 2 x 22 format and there were several contacts, one verbal comment on TS and I think at least one "Sorry" afterwards. Seems it's easy to get back to the old ways. As long as I don't see
    aggressive driving with the 2 x format I'll keep using it for some of the events :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan

My raceday:
    I was happy to have a car that I was as fast in today as I was four years ago!

I put in a Q lap with race fuel in the tank and did much better than I should have. I don't like starts from near the front, especially as I don't start well.

So, I go from 4th to 9th very quickly. That worked with my desire to go the race without a stop as long as I didn't do any slides off track. Re-enforcement for a drive carefully and maintain the tires came at the corkscrew when I turned Aleksander around after he slowed for Florin's messy approach. Back in the groove, I closed on Alek and then on Hamed who pitted rather than face my approach. Then I watched NJK and Florin both pit while grinding out the best laps I could. Both got me back by the end of the race but overall staying out worked very well for me.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Don't want to completely burst your bubble :) but with 7 laps to go to I needed to save what little was left of my tires so I calculated how much time I could give back each lap and still take 2nd. I could have gone faster if I had to, but then again if I did then I very well could have blown a tire. 45 minutes is right on the hairy edge of surviving without a pit. I was riding on the rims at the end. Fun race, I still have the bite marks from you chewing on my a** from laps 5-15 :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Haha Haha x 1
  8. Justin Swan

Justin Swan
    RD-DVLC

And there was me thinking I had you rattled :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Don't get me wrong, you were gaining on me fast because of the tire situation and I was very aware and concerned about your progress. I calculated that you could gain x seconds per lap and I would still take second, so I made the decision to go only as fast as I had to to save my tires. If I had tried to go as fast as I could I may very well have blown a tire out and then waved at the field from the side of the road as you went by :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013