Nothing is better than iRacing

T

tyuS

• tyuS

Who wants to buy RF2?? When their tracks get and actual 1/100th of an inch off from real world courses then maybe, MAYBE I'll look into it.

iRacing is where it's at. Nothings better than iRacing plain and simple. Try it once you'll never go back.

You can debate the quality of both sims, but I'm not sure everyone realizes how popular iRacing is becoming. It's had steady growth since launch.

The quality at the top is spectacular. Greger Huttu, Richard Towler and now Roland Ehnstrom are all battling to be the best. Maybe for the average racer that might not matter, but if you enjoy competition iRacing has a lot to offer. The community and organization is outstanding.

Occasionally, I look at all the sessions running each night. Every night of the week it's between 500 and 800 iRacers racing at any given instant. 500 to 800 is a ton. And that doesn't count people on the forums and doing test sessions. They used to report how many iRacers were on the forums, but with the new forum software we can't see it, but it was typically 1,500 users or so... RaceDepartment and NoGrip are two of the biggest forums out there for rFactor and you don't see anywhere near those kind of numbers. Sure there are lots of individual league sites, but iRacing has those two.

Anyway you slice it, iRacing has developed a hard core following and you can't say everyone is an idiot for spending the money... iRacing has to have something substantial to offer or so many wouldn't spend the money. Everyone may not like it or see the value, but those are impressive numbers.

Normally about 10-33% of the 500 to 800 are in hosted sessions. Many of these are leagues or friends racing together. I wonder if many here even realize iRacing has a ton of leagues just like rFactor.

Here are the growth numbers since launch in terms of active iRacers and monthly subsriptions. The active racer growth is the one that matters. It's been very steady. 14,000 active iRacers in November 2010 and December numbers will be even higher. More races. More drivers. More splits with closer competition. That's compelling for many sim racers.

iRacing160111.jpg

monthlyActive.png

weeklyActive2.png

I just checked the RaceDepartment forums and there are 4 viewing iRacing and 11 viewing rFactor. NoGrip right now has 4 viewing iRacing and 14 viewing the rFactor forum.

If you're not an iRacer, it might look like iRacing is gaining some additional forum posters over time, but what you might not realize is that iRacing has about 10,000 active iRacers per month and there are usually 1,500 or so online at any given moment. 500 to 800 might be racing, but many of the rest are in the forums. Likely, it's in the hundreds on the forums. They are very active. You might look at the 11 viewing the rfactor forum and say, "rFactor is way more popular...". Maybe is, but you might be underestimating iRacing, because it's a centralized service. There may only be 4 viewing the iRacing forum on RaceDepartment, but 500 viewing the iRacing forum on the service.

I enjoy both NoGrip and RaceDepartment, but you don't get a sense for the size and growth of the iRacing community until you get involved. It's pretty big right now and it's not cheap, so they must be doing something right.

The iRacing forum on RaceDepartment will likely continue to grow, but it's just the tip of the iceberg. The iRacing community is larger than most think and very active.

iRacing main problem is that it is too serious, you fear racing and losing iRating or Safety rating, so most people only practice or test offline... boring... racing with AI in rFactor or Race series is a lot more fun.

iRacing main problem is that it is too serious, you fear racing and losing iRating or Safety rating, so most people only practice or test offline... boring... racing with AI in rFactor or Race series is a lot more fun.

Given the growth in iRating active members, it seems like that's the problem for you, but not everyone.

As for your "most only practice or race offline" comment, the participation statistics don't show that at all. What are you looking at?

As I said, it's economical reasons why I can't race. I just cannot afford it. Or, I can, but that means I have to move out from where I live, and well... Then it ain't much point in subscribing to iRacing is it. It all depends what you are looking for. This might sound cruel, but so be it.
If you are looking for a full time hobby, and have way too much spare time, then you are doing the right thing with iRacing, especially when it comes to trying to get a Pro-license. If you would like to drive the most realistic sim, but can enjoy "slow" cars, then you stay at rookie, and maybe buy one D-car. That's fine. But, if people want to drive different cars, on different tracks, but don't want to use lot's of money. Then iRacing is the wrong thing. I've spend well over 300USD on iRacing. And I have two D-cars + 3 or 4 extra tracks. (and of course some monthly subs). It might not sound much. But that is my grocery budget for a month... And, to be somewhat on the pace, I have to use a lot of time wach day, to practice, tune setups, practice some more, tune some more setups,- and keep on that way. Not possible, I have work to do, I'm a student and I do have a social life. And last, but most important. I'm trying to get my racing career up again, and cannot throw any money out on things that isn't important. iRacing is cheaper than an IRL career, but it is virtual.

Oh well, I guess people get my point. I think it's just to simple from the iRacing-fan view to say "that for the price, it's very good. It doesn't cost /that/ much. See how many who is using money on it, it can't be that expensive" etc. There are more variables than just getting the most realistic sim. I can see why people are buying it and driving it. I just hope the iRacing guys can see all the reason not to buy it as well.

Given the growth in iRating active members, it seems like that's the problem for you, but not everyone.

As for your "most only practice or race offline" comment, the participation statistics don't show that at all. What are you looking at?

says the guy working for iracing posting in the '''rfactor 2'' section................ nice set up.... have some dummy account that has 2 posts set up in rfactor2 area so iracing can have a permanent advertisment one of racings largest forums... oldest trick in the book.

I would love to see this entire thread moved to iracing section or deleted. this was there plan, post in rfactors area keep thread bumped up.

they did same thing in codemasters forums. pretty dirty and low. Jack B has to be getting paid by iracing no one is that dysfunctional to post all this bs statistic on like 9 or more different forums boards for free.

------- and if iracing is so great why do you have to post all these stats on all these forums Jack? why are you not racing instead if it is so great? if it was so great you would not to be posting all this propaganda on other racing games sections and forums. :)

and your name is not jack b .. stop acting like your jack backus.

Who wants to buy RF2?? When their tracks get and actual 1/100th of an inch off from real world courses then maybe, MAYBE I'll look into it.

iRacing is where it's at. Nothings better than iRacing plain and simple. Try it once you'll never go back.

NOT, when you have to keep dishing out cash each month for every track and car...

I have looked into something on this. And do you know if you play IR for a year with the same money you could get a car and do Sundy fun cup racing in real life if you have a way of getting your car to track. That's how silly IR is its a joke

I have looked into something on this. And do you know if you play IR for a year with the same money you could get a car and do Sundy fun cup racing in real life if you have a way of getting your car to track. That's how silly IR is its a joke

Where are these Sundy fun cup races being held? I would like to participate in one here in Southern California.

So for $99 you can buy a car and race it on a real race track? I need info on that, I'd love it!

Seriously people, if money is the only reason you don't run it...then fine that is your reason. I've paid for 80% of the content on there and it didn't break my bank account because I continue to earn money. It isn't like I am given $40 a year to live off of. If some of you have a hard time parting with $8 then I can't imagine what you go through to pay $50 for a new Sim.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone, but just flat out annoys me how shallow people seem to be over money. iRacing hands down has the best racing anywhere. Best physics? Well it's better than 90% of the crap mods that people release for rFactor. However if you want the best racing online iRacing is the place to be. If you want customization and indulgence then obviously there are better places to spend your time and money.

However I enjoy running races with full fields.

What a ridiculous post.

I can afford iRacing if I want, however I refuse to pay that much for what is essentially a game, and I've also heard bad things about the online experience. I will only spend the money if I see some value in it, doesn't mean I'm being shallow.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back