Nordschleife - laserscanned?

RACE 07's Brands Hatch is one of those tracks where corners in real life go to the left and in the game to the right.

However take Simbin's Nordschleife and/or Com8's one for rFactor and they are pretty good considered they aren't scanned. Have done on both version countless of laps and never bored myself for a second :)

R3E's Bathurst is not much wrong with either.

I have driven the Nordschleife in so much sims AND in real life. But nothing comes close to the real one. And my opinion is, that a laser scanned Nordschleife (didnt have GranTourismo that?) would be the greatest thing we can get for AC.
Not sure about it being laser scanned but GT5 is pretty close. Obviously I didn't have a race car in real-life. ;)´

This video is pretty great, produced by Sony.

To the people saying that laser scanned tracks aren't that much better than non-scanned versions, play Race07's Brands Hatch and then try iRacing's laser-scanned version. Surprisingly large difference.
+1
I remember first time i attacked T1 in Brands and nearly shat my pants at the drop.

SPA is another great example. PCARS version is a joke and that´s done by a professional studio, not some guy in a basement somewhere.

Am I the only one enjoying racing simulations, no matter if the tracks are a few centimeters off or not? Who cares as long as it's roughly the same.
Try meters. elevation way off, for the most part not even half the elevation it should have.
And lack of bumps which in itself increases immersion tenfold.
And no, you are most definitely not alone, which is good for simracing in general and modders.

But after i tasted laserscanned tracks for the first time i´m not going back.

And on top of that, learning Silverstone in one sim means you can transfer that knowledge to another sim with laserscanned tracks, they are afterall carbon copies.
Only thing that might change is the grip but the dimensions are the same.

I have driven the Nordschleife quite a few times in real life on my motorbike, and the ring in netKar Pro and rFactor didn't feel quite close to the real thing.

Zandvoort in iRacing however felt spot on from my own experiences. It's about the banking of the corner, the bump right in the middle of the corner, the elevation of the Scheivlak etc... it's all those small details that trick your mind more and more to immerse.

A laserscanned Nords' would be such a great training tool for all those guys who are going to drive some laps with their own car. It would be a great way of learning the track and it's intricacies.

Not to mention the completely new aspect to watching races on TV.

If you have driven the laserscanned track in a game you know exactly what the driver goes through, it´s very neat actually.

An example was ALMS Sebring 2011 i believe. Porsche and Corvette enter last corner, Porsche takes the inside and i knew that if he keeps that line the car will lift up in the air due to that massive bump on the inside of the corner and sure enough his car gets lifted up in the air, he hits the Corvette and i think both crashed quite heavily.

Laser scanned or built with different reference materials can BOTH offer exceptional quality.

The problem is that by the time you invest in techniques to get very accurate data you approach the cost of laser data collection so you may as well just get point cloud data and build/surface from that.

There is a good chance that because of the way ownership rights and all that jazz works, that data is owned by many tracks these days, or at least is licensed by scanning businesses/providers to end users under agreement with the track owners.

So basically, the AC team probably just pay for data then build with it.

Having laser data doesn't guarantee anything though as the big step is clouds > surface for what you drive on and ultimately that is a statistical process. Even iRacing will 'lose' some surface detail beyond their track mesh density size.

If you compare a really well made track that didn't use scan data with one that did, they are both often exceptionally good. Half the issue is that many games ran single cross-section tracks so adding bumps was impossible.

I'll agree with Hampus though, getting top-down is the easy bit. Getting vertical data is the really really tough bit.

I have logs from good GPS and in top-down the averaged plots match up with my land-line vector data, satellite imagery, and are within a few percent of measured data.
BUT, vertical accuracy isn't so hot... 10cm accuracy with 2m CEP from what I remember on my device, so polling every 50cm means my vertical trace through space wasn't so good. Averaging it out removed all the details.
However, walk along with the same device and get 3cm density, or about 30 points per 1m, and suddenly you'll be getting much nearer that 10cm on vertical accuracy.

With a decent GPS base station and logging kit on a smooth race course I think you could easily see 2cm vertical accuracy. You could walk around each side of the course and down the centreline and have a pretty accurate trio of profiles to build a very very accurate track from!

But as said, when you have laser you get the kerbs, run-off areas, armco, fences, grandstands, etc etc, all in with the same data set. That is useful for the artists as well as the people making an accurate driving surface, so I guess that is why they go laser data.

Not sure what my point is, but laser scanned doesn't guarantee anything vs non laser scanned...
Obviously it tends to mean artists get things in the right places, and looking the right shape/size, and the track surface comes with enough detail... but that can ALL be done without laser scanning. It just takes time and generally we don't see many 'games' invest that much in their tracks.

I could build any track extremely well without laser data, it'd just take an absolute age to get data sets good enough to match laser quality.

I'm looking forward to the next generation of xbox kinect type scanning tied in with GPS and photogrammetry type point clouds from motion!
Imo in 5yrs for these types of jobs (ie, non real life super-accurate construction types), we'll be able to scan a track and surroundings for not much at all vs current laser scan systems!

Dave

After reading a thread on the iRacing forums about laser scanned Nordschleife, it seems that LIDAR own the rights to laser scanning the track, so iRacing aren't able to do it. So it seems unlikely Assetto Corsa will be getting it either which is a shame.

After reading a thread on the iRacing forums about laser scanned Nordschleife, it seems that LIDAR own the rights to laser scanning the track, so iRacing aren't able to do it. So it seems unlikely Assetto Corsa will be getting it either which is a shame.
If I recall correctly, AC and iR don't use the same method to laser scan the tracks.
In iRacing, they put the scanner on a tripod and move it to several different places around the track to have some details everywhere. On the other hand, guys at Kunos rent a small van that they drove around the track at a slow speed, gathering the circuit geometry along the way.
I thought that maybe the licencing issues vary with the way it's done?!

Laserscanned 'ring is one of my simracing dreams, but of course if it's properly modeled from scratch it might be okay as well. After all I did learn to love the track in rFactor :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 302 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 211 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 152 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.6%