Nordschleife - laserscanned?

Just having the Ring would be awesome but everything I have heard so far said AC is coming with 10 laser scanned tracks...we only have 7 confirmed I believe.....
IMO a laser scanned Nord would be as big if not bigger announcement the even Ferrari :D
Not getting my hopes up just yet but it sure looks like it could actually be...If and when they do announce it the wait will become just shy of unbearable.

I can understand the need for laser scanned tracks for actual race teams who wish to do testing.
as it way cheaper to test and run simulations on a simulator than the cost of going to the circuit itself.
then it all depends how accurate the simulator is..
Ac seems to be right at the top with what ive just experienced with the teaser..
so yes and no for laser scanned tracks it wont make that much difference to me the average Joe driving round the track ill get just as much enjoyment for a non laser scanned track..
I assume it will also be also quicker to produce if its laser scanned as you don't have to make every little bit of structure so it would cut down on the build time and maybe be cheaper in the long run for the developer...and produce allot more possibilities for the future use of their sim to race teams..
as opposed to the sim race community...:)

LOL. If someone gave you a mod track, and said it was laserscanned, you wouldn't know the difference.

It's mostly about the prestige.

EDIT: Magione in the TP is a good example. If someone offered me Prato/Newbury from netkar, and Magione from the TP, and asked me which of those was laserscanned, I'd pick Prato/Newbury before Magione.

It's a great thing to have, of course, but it is not very correlated with my enjoyment of racing.

So because the corners are 1 cm off in a track made of pictures and blueprints 99% of the immersion gets lost? lol

99,99% of the sim racers have never been on the ring in real life and barely know the difference so i think thats very exaggerated Hampus.
You might get the shape somewhat right but you will never, not once get elevations even remotely correct.
Or all the bumps.
When we get the laserscanned one, remember this conversation and we can compare and you´ll see that it´s like night and day.

Great example would be Sebring. Take VirtuaLM´s track and compare it to iRacing.
It´s light years apart. flat land vs oh **** i might actually break the suspension here.
Not to mention the dimensions of the track, VirtuaLM´s is like a parking lot in comparison.

As i said, 1% (if you are lucky) at getting the same immersion as a proper laserscanned track.

Why buy a BMW when you can buy a "copy" in South Korea. I mean it´s the same....right?

IMO of course.

Oh, that's going to be interesting...pictured below: me right now. More or less.

kingofpopcorn1.gif

Hampus Andersson I am sure it will be a difference of night and day, i am not questioning that. I am just saying that for me personally as a simracer I honestly don't care if a eyescanned track is a few inches off. As long as righthanded corners aren't turning to the left I fine with whatever Nords version we will get.

Of course I don't say no to a carboncopied nurburgring.

As I'm not a professional racing driver and do not race on the Nurburgring in the real world. I'm fairly sure that unless one is a professional driver with massive real world nurburgring experience, they would not be able to tell the difference.

If for example somebody was to tell us that it was a laser scan, even if it was not, assuming that it was an exceptionally well done example none of us would question it. The GT5 version is exceptionally well done and isn't a laser scan. Ultimately the laser scan isn't necessarily improving the experience at all, all it really does is give peace of mind to people who want to believe they are experiencing the real thing.

I understand why people want laser scans, because it has it's advantages and there can then be no question as to the accuracy, but I dislike the way people cling on to the word.

You know when SimRaceway released their Silverstone I had discussions with people who didnt like it because it was just like any other mod and even if it was the new layout it couldn't compare to iRacings scanned version. The issue here was that they didn't know it was actually a laser scanned circuit, it was pinpoint accurate.

What this tells me is the phrase "Laser scan" is more important to some people than the actual track itself, and people will base their opinions often solely around this phrase.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 209 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 150 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 266 13.6%