No grip at all in Formula Two

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Updated to the latest build and finally tested the F2 car. I try to do a few practice laps on Palm Beach and this car spins at 60km/h. <---- not joking.

This cannot be right or did I do something wrong here? This car is impossible to ride without a 360 spin in every corner.

Is there any way to start a session with a rubbered in track? I tried the natural progressing and green settings but they felt identical to me. This sim drives me up the wall, i get so frustrated every time i try to venture out in an open wheeler i usually end up walking away before i chuck my steering wheel at the monitor. It just feels like no ammount of "babying" the car is enough, it goes from fine to snapping into a spin at a hair, i had to give in and add low TC (which helped me not come out of every damn corner backwards) but the car feels very twitchy under breaking, i don't understand how a car in 3rd decelerating suddenly snaps into a backward spin like that.

I'm FAR from a pro but every time i get in this thing it makes me want to give up. I have moderate success in other titles and gas and electric carting but this game is my bane. Literally makes me want to quit sim racing at times. :(

I felt like this at first but trust me, if you persevere and run a good 5 or 10 laps slowly you will build up speed and get used to how it drives.

It's a good car once your used to it, and i don't expect they are easy to drive in real life!

I felt like this at first but trust me, if you persevere and run a good 5 or 10 laps slowly you will build up speed and get used to how it drives.

It's a good car once your used to it, and i don't expect they are easy to drive in real life!

Not saying it should be easy but everyone I've seen (non proffessional driver) who has a chance to experience a drive in a F1 car always say the same thing: "SO MUCH GRIP". I feel like im on an ice rink and its infuriating. I break traction off the track going something like 35 miles an hour and miraculously skid across 50 feet of grass and gravel, it kills the realism for me. I get frustrated beyond words every-time i boot up this mod, I cant come to grips with it. I can barely turn the steering wheel without hearing the tires skreech and break traction. I can't fathom how the folks in the FSR league are so insanely fast, these cars feel like sleds on snow.

Not saying it should be easy but everyone I've seen (non proffessional driver) who has a chance to experience a drive in a F1 car always say the same thing: "SO MUCH GRIP". I feel like im on an ice rink and its infuriating. I break traction off the track going something like 35 miles an hour and miraculously skid across 50 feet of grass and gravel, it kills the realism for me. I get frustrated beyond words every-time i boot up this mod, I cant come to grips with it. I can barely turn the steering wheel without hearing the tires skreech and break traction. I can't fathom how the folks in the FSR league are so insanely fast, these cars feel like sleds on snow.
I've only had a few races in F2 and you do have to get some temp into the tyres before you nail it but I wouldn't say it's as bad as you describe. I don't think comparing an f1 car is a good comparison either. As you go down the formula from F1 the grip levels are going to be less and less. I personally can't drive the f3 cars in GSC for the same reasons you say about the F2 cars here.
I'd say get some rubber down and warm the tyres for a couple of laps and see where you are then. Obviously the spring rates and tyre pressure will help too.

I agree comparing an F1 to an F2 car isn't really the best comparison tool but its the type of car im most familiar with driving in a sim. I'm currently leaving 29 ai cars lapping a few sessions to get the tack a bit more rubbered in, I noticed a slight improvement but still pretty slippery. I guess im having trouble getting heat into and keeping it in the tires, I can't really push the car at all without ending up backwards in the gravel.

What steering angle do you set your car to? In game wants to go to 450 but i tend to set it around 270 but feel anything over a 10-15 degree correction will snap the car.

Edit: about the So much grip comment, that was regarding the videos posted by Renault when they had the F1 driver program that would take you from road cars to open wheelers and ultimately into an older year Renault F1 car (07 or 08 car i think) but they had all day training coaching and support both on and off track. It wasn't an average joe hopping into an F1 car and setting competetive times.

I agree comparing an F1 to an F2 car isn't really the best comparison tool but its the type of car im most familiar with driving in a sim. I'm currently leaving 29 ai cars lapping a few sessions to get the tack a bit more rubbered in, I noticed a slight improvement but still pretty slippery. I guess im having trouble getting heat into and keeping it in the tires, I can't really push the car at all without ending up backwards in the gravel.

What steering angle do you set your car to? In game wants to go to 450 but i tend to set it around 270 but feel anything over a 10-15 degree correction will snap the car.

Edit: about the So much grip comment, that was regarding the videos posted by Renault when they had the F1 driver program that would take you from road cars to open wheelers and ultimately into an older year Renault F1 car (07 or 08 car i think) but they had all day training coaching and support both on and off track. It wasn't an average joe hopping into an F1 car and setting competetive times.

I use a DFGT and set it to 500 degree's. I felt the same when i first drove it at Palm Beach and was 5 seconds behind the rest and struggling to make one lap.

The biggest help i can give you is treat the accelerator like its made of glass in 1st and 2nd and be really gentle with the wheel, no sharp turns etc.

It is probably one of the most difficult cars to drive besides the 60's F1 but it is so much more rewarding when your nose to tail with someone lap after lap.

If i could set up an online race id open one so we could just drive round and round slowly at first getting you used to it, i know it sounds silly but it helps.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 364 15.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.2%