No grip at all in Formula Two

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Updated to the latest build and finally tested the F2 car. I try to do a few practice laps on Palm Beach and this car spins at 60km/h. <---- not joking.

This cannot be right or did I do something wrong here? This car is impossible to ride without a 360 spin in every corner.

Try making the default setup much softer and add more downforce and so on, also lower the car at the front. This should make it better driveable at Palm Beach :)
Also wait until enough rubber is on the track. Green track drives like a wet-track.

I also don't like the F2 much atm, as I don't feel much useful stuff through ffb and the annoying understeer is very untypical for open-wheelers. But I think a part of it has to do with the tires falling to very low temperatures very fast.

let the track grip up Bram, specially afte rthe update the tracks seems to have lot less grip at the start, I found the same thing when I booted up the game after the update but after 10 laps or so (wiht AI cars also helps) the grip levels increased and it was much easier.

i had a little go tonight. the back end seems to want to step out.
may i ask, do people trail brake up to apex and hold a little throttle to balance car? i seem to have more success doing this but if i ease off brakes or throttle, the back end steps out :-S

Bram make sure the track is very rubbered in, (can use 15 or 20 a.i. drivers doing laps in time accelerated mode for a couple hours game time).

If that doesn't help you then work on setup.

If that doesn't help you, then maybe try reading some articles online or books about racecar driving technique, those really help.

Also, visit the official rFactor 2 forum at ISI's site, there seems to be quite a lot of help there, and a thread specific to the f2 aswell.

I don't have any problems with understeer or oversteer myself but everyones different.

Hope this helps :)

Bram=fast;)

It becomes a bit irritating when you point something odd in a game and the first assumption is that you have no idea how to drive.

A green track will not let you push so much, maybe add 1-2 seconds per lap at worst. But the street in front of my house is far from 'rubbered' and I don't' see cars spinning. If something is not normal then it is not normal.

But the street in front of my house is far from 'rubbered' and I don't' see cars spinning.
That made me laugh so hard I almost pissed myself but damn its so true :)

I have more grip with my roadcar on normal roadtyres than with this F2 vehicle. I don't understand how a classic F2 has significantly more grip than a modern F2 and hardly anybody says anything about it :)

Lets hope its just the beta phase but I start to fear.

. But the street in front of my house is far from 'rubbered' and I don't' see cars spinning. If something is not normal then it is not normal.

ISI are incredibly inconsistent, so it'll be up to the modders once again, but as it is rf2 is quite a disappointment, especially as most complaints at ISI forums are effectively rejected by the fanboys and ISI staff.

What I don't understand is how they can build great cars like 60F2/3+GT4, yet nearly everything else loaded with problems.

If the modders can build cars with GT4 physics vs the iceracing physics of the GTR, then it should eventually do well, but I'll buggered trying to figure out how to drive some of the weird cars in the game+FFB for G27 whilst good is inferior in many ways to GSC.

Thats an interesting thing. Are all the current cars build by ISI or do they outsource upcoming cars to modding teams and let them build it?

If the latter I hope they hire the guy(s) that build the classic formula vehicles as they are spot on. Nissan 370Z same. But the modern open wheelers are off way off.

I agree that ISI rejects a lot of suggestions but at least they are consistent in that for years now and to be honest they have always done what they think is right and that resulted in a very good game: rFactor.

So for me its not really a problem they go their own way as long as the game keeps improving.

1. Your road gets used all the time 24 hours 7 days a week, totally different than a track that gets used maybe 10 days in an entire year, but judging from your post you probably don't know this and don't know much about racing, because that is a pretty silly comment from anyone that knows anything about racing.

Also, it isn't just 2-3 seconds improvement, I have seen much bigger differences in racing over a 3 or 4 day period.

2. To say that in rf2 the classic f2 has more grip than the modern f2 is completely wrong wrong wrong. That just proves that you are now not speaking facts, but simply hating or trolling.

The modern f2 corners at faster speeds and brakes in shorter distances than the classic, that means more grip for the modern one.

Maybe you don't understand that in sims we cannot feel speed and we cannot feel g forces of how hard we can brake, corner and accelerate, and so we don't realize just how quickly we are going through a corner, or how quickly we are braking. Well, if you can't realize that, then there is always telemetry that does not lie, and you will easily see that the modern f2 has much higher levels of grip than the classic f2.

3. I and many many many others don't drive the f2 and can't even go around a corner without spinning, that clearly tells me you need to really work on your technique, setup makes big difference aswell.

The f2 physics aren't perfect I know, but if u can't make it around a corner at any decent speed, then it's on your end where the problem lies, as I have raced myself and watched many many laps of the f2, and I see people driving hard, getting understeer, oversteer etc without spinning.

Bram make sure the track is very rubbered in, (can use 15 or 20 a.i. drivers doing laps in time accelerated mode for a couple hours game time).

If that doesn't help you then work on setup.

If that doesn't help you, then maybe try reading some articles online or books about racecar driving technique, those really help.

Also, visit the official rFactor 2 forum at ISI's site, there seems to be quite a lot of help there, and a thread specific to the f2 aswell.

I don't have any problems with understeer or oversteer myself but everyones different.

Hope this helps :)
I found this quite funny, it really made me chuckle

I understand your point and I agree with the weird little girp of the F2 car car, but the no cars spinning in the streets thing was a bit over the top? dont you think? :D

Yes, but not more over the top than non-rubbered/dirty surfaces that behave like ice/wet.

My personal feeling, too much marketing for the masses. The so called 'track evolution' has become a must in most part of the latest games. The problem is that (this is my IMHO) the real grip difference between fresh and used track is not so noticeable for normal people (pro's excluded). There is A LOT of players basically unable to drive 10 laps within the same 0.500s, their inconsistency is bigger than the tenths slowly gained from extra grip. So, what do you do with a feature that most part of your customers don't perceive? You boost it until they notice, too dam much.

Anyway, that is general, I suspect Bram's problem is more specific to the F2.

And Marco80... well, what can I say. I have no idea of racing. Neither about the state of my daily washed by rain (dutch) street, nor basic economy (tracks used 10 days a year... Monaco and a handful more?). And Bram is obviously hating and trolling... in his own forums. Right.

P.S. I must say, there is an idiot with a black BMW in my area that takes the turn screeching, that moron would be terminal damage in half of the sims I've tried. For once I would like reality to be closer to sims, not the other way around.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 357 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 251 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%