1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

No cockpit view in GRID 2!

Discussion in 'GRID 2' started by Mateusz Najda, Aug 8, 2012.

1. "In-car view is out, after Codemasters' research discovered that 95 per cent of players use chase or bonnet cameras to play." Found it, when I was reading EuroGamer article. If it's true, than I won't be buying GRID 2. They can force me to drive with certain cameras, but they can't force to buy their game;) Maybe I'll reconsider it, if moders would add this view to the game (if it will be possible to mod it).

2. Leon Charmant

Leon Charmant
    Premium Member

Regardless of the presence of a cockpit view I'll be getting Grid 2 on release date. Had so much fun with the original so this will be an instant buy for me. A real shame about the cockpit view missing (used that mostly in the original Grid), but bonnet cam will work just fine. It'll remind me of the good old days of Need for Speed (the Underground series and Most Wanted) where I used have bonnet cam. Great stuff, loving the trailer!

3. There has been a hell of a backlash against Codies on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fm89CbB1Cs&feature=youtu.be&a) for taking out Cockpit view, so they I asked this on Twitter to @gridgam, ”Is there a bonnet view or not, if so I don’t see why people are making such a big fuss over cockpit going it’s almost the same…” and they replied ”Can confirm that there is a bonnet cam.”, so in my opinion it isn’t such a bad call, so they can focus their time on other, more important this to improve the game, watchg the video that I have linked in this reply to see more…

4. Rupe Wilson

Rupe Wilson
    Keep Yoga real Premium Member

So this is Codies idea of taking there race games more serious,
    Cockpit view is a must for me.... cross this of my shopping list....:thumbsdown:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

I am curious where they get those numbers from. They say from extensive data analyzing from their previous game where 5% ever used cockpit view.

Not saying its not try as the more arcade style games seems to have a higher number of swingman drivers but it seems very low. If the numbers are correct i think the made a wise decision as it saves them tons of dev time.

6. I've read that they got those data from multiplayer.

7. Leon Charmant

Leon Charmant
    Premium Member

I too find it hard to believe that only 5% of players use cockpit view, clearly their must be a some form of misinterpretation of their data. Their released statement about the matter (see the Centralised news and information thread) is a very professional response towards the community and I do understand their decision. At first I felt a little uncomfortable not having the option to drive using cockpit cam, but its exclusion is not going to take away the fun I'll
    have with GRID 2 :) A lot of people are saying they won't buy GRID 2 if there is no cockpit view (you should see the outcry at the Codemasters forums, for one) but I'm certain that at a fair number of these people will still end up buying the game. The videos and information to come are only going to make people more excited and I do genuinely hope that these people will be able to experience the game. Cockpit or not, I'm sure that it's going to be great fun to play!

8. I definitely did not use cockpit view in the first one, or in the Shift games. Didn't really work for me at all.

With their multiplayer kerfuffle in the original game, I'm surprised there's this much interest in this to be honest. I sure as hell won't go anywhere near it.

9. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Backmarker Champion 2015 & so far this year. Staff Premium Member

I think this is a timely reminder of how small the sim racing numbers are in proportion to the entire gaming community.
    Four years ago it was even smaller, games like Forza plus F1 2010/11not forgetting GT5 have encouraged more mainstream gamers to try more sim like games. So their figures may be pretty accurate for the time. I couldn't drive the damn thing anyway inside or out so it makes no difference to me,:redface: if it works with a wheel I'll buy it for the career mode.

10. Bram

Bram

The multiplayer was okay as long as you drove with people you know. As with any racing game the public racing was a nightmare with people driving more off than on the track :)

11. Cheaters driving the wrong way with freight trains instead of cars were a slightly bigger issue than people cutting :p

12. Bram

Bram

13. Dont you mean:
    how small the sim racing numbers are...playing Grid in cockpit view online...in proportion to the entire gaming community....?

Sounds like they got stats from the previous game, not the entire community.
    Anyway, I quite enjoyed a blast on Grid in cockpit view but never online.

Grid is not exactly the first port of call for 'sim racers' anyway is it?
    So apart from sim racers getting a bit bent out if shape with the notion that a 'driving game' is excluding cockpit view on principal, its probably not a game a sim racer would be paying out for anyway. And even if they did, it wouldnt be for realism, it would be for fun, which consoles are aimed at, rather than high end PC gaming rigs.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Could all be a bit of guerilla marketing. CM engineer some controversy, get people talking about it, getting front page space on forums, spreading the word, and then they shark in with cockpit view in the release and come back all 'we listened to the community' and all that sort of stuff.

Or maybe they will release it as a £3.99 DLC a day after Grid 2 drops.....
    :D

15. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton

I stand corrected, but you get my drift. I cling to my naive belief that all games should be, fun and wonder why sim racers in particular seem to torture themselves over every game that potentially uses a steering wheel.:confused:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rupe Wilson

Rupe Wilson
    Keep Yoga real Premium Member

For me that's the bit that made these games great .. it was the cockpit view great detail and the sound and visual effects, ( it was never about the physics) all racing round with a group of friends on a Saturday night after a few beers...Dirt/shift has the same effect ....
    Stunning graphics and crashes...
    If i want serious i use a sim....
    you cant seem to have the same fun with a sim the physics/(or my ability) don't allow it.. imo
    I know i cant drift my 600 bhp monster through this twisty track in my real/sim/world but i can in Grid.. i am a driving god that oozes Kudos out my exhaust:roflmao: and if you can do all this in cockpit view...:notworthy:

• Like Like x 1
  17. I loved the Cockpit view in Grid and all the Codie games... but getting rid of such an awesome camera is ... :( If there will be no cockpit camera I think I will not buy it. I mean I wanted to get it when its released but reading this is just shocking. Its a really nice game to play for fun and the cockpit view with all its sound effects and everything was just epic :unsure:. Without it a huge fun-factor will be missed and many people will simply not get the game because of that feature ... codies is surely dropping the ball ... "We will concentrate only on racing games now" ... yeah and now you taking away key features that we all love in racing games specially grid .. :thumbsdown: .. thats just sad :unsure:

18. Yeah I did get your drift mate. Its a sad loss, but for me, I gave up CM console ported games after F1 2011 and I simply will not be mugged off by them again, expecting and hoping for something which they seem to promise often, but deliver rarely.

Yes I had fun playing Grid in cockpit view, and I still can play Grid in cockpit view - so not all is lost.
    For new titles, something to get excited about, pay money for and have serious sim fun, it has to be bespoke to PC.

19. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton

I never could play Grid, I just found it to be undrivable. Mostly use pc but I enjoyed Shift and Forza on Xbox and GT5 on PS3 as well. Codies lost the plot after Toca 2 and CM2, I never enjoyed their driving games after that and I'm not a big F1 sim fan.

20. Grid was very easy to drive but okay and yeah codies changed their style .. its now for the "wider audience" :/ ... that means arcade. If you want to simrace stay with rfactor,Iracing or other stuff .. but those console stuff really is going down.