Nissan GT500 Released for rFactor 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Nissan GT500 rFactor 2 Release.jpg

Studio 397 have been rather busy lately developing and releasing their first new build for rFactor 2, and now the studio have dropped a nice little surprise on players just before the jolly fat man in red comes to visit on Sunday - releasing the long awaiting Nissan GT500 from the 2013 Japanese SuperGT Championship!

Previewed as early as 2013, the Nissan GT500 is an extremely impressive piece of technology that went on to great success over in Japan's premier GT series during recent seasons. Weighing in a just 1,100kg and kicking out an awesome 530bhp, the Nissan is a high performance, high technology and high downforce GT race car that perfectly showcases the often underrated SuperGT series over in Japan.

Following seemingly endless years of preview and speculation about this car in rFactor 2, finally Studio 397 have surprised fans of the title by adding the vehicle as a free download for the simulation, available immediately. Featuring four official liveries from the 2013 racing season, the Nissan GT500 can be downloaded via the rFactor 2 Steam Workshop page now.

rF2 Studio 397 Nissan GT500.png

rFactor 2 is available to purchase for PC on Steam now. Recently benefiting from the removal of paid online access, the game is currently 50% off in the Steam Winter Sale.

For further information on the future of rFactor 2, check out the December Development Roadmap post here.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to take part in some of the best League and Club Racing events on the internet. Interact with our vibrant rFactor community in our dedicated rFactor 2 sub forum, download mods for the game or share a setup or two for your favourite cars.

Are you happy to see the release of the GT500 after such a long wait? Does the new momentum of the sim since Studio 397 took over development encourage you as to the future of rFactor 2? Have you tried the car, and has it been worth the wait? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I really don't understand the issues people are facing with rF2. It's always worked and been pretty straightforward for me and many others that I've raced with over the years.
The only tweaking I need to do is whenever Nvidia release new drivers and I have to constantly tweak NCP and NI every time due to it being a fresh install.
But that isn't rF2's fault anyway.
Graphics settings are pretty much burned into my brain now anyway for optimum settings on my setup so takes less than 5 minutes.

Installing content is so easy. It's on the steam workshop if you're installing a mod from a website you just download to where all the other files are and then install it from the main menu. No fuss and no issues...

Also the FFB. I don't think I've ever altered it. It just works out of the box so to speak. Now and then it needs resetting so I mapped a button for that on my steering wheel. Job done.

I think some people are never happy with rf2 in the first place and then try to make it better which it doesn't get to be honest.

I just use 8xMultisampling and I haven't done a driver update in month because the one I use works and newer drivers don't help my 780 nor a dx9 game.

FFB wise I only disable the rumblestrip pull factor. Oh and sometimes I change the sound of speed to match a specific venue...but that is all. (and something s397 should automate tbh..)

Last edited:
That's mainly track lights.

A few builds ago it was like this: dark but doable.
It's already much brighter now.

If you can't see the road in that video. You have dark monitors. Some monitors clip blacks to full black beyond a certain range. Little nuances in black are gone that way.
So make sure you have good calibrated monitors.
thx-brightness-pattern-100538283-orig.jpg

In this picture there is a drop shadow behind the THX.
Yeah i can see that THX image well. In AMS i can see perfectly with headlights. Not to talk about real life which is ok too light wise. ;) I tested Sebring with different cars in rF2 and i couldnt see where i was going. Maybe i can try to brighten the monitors up during night, but thats not so handy in an endurance race. But i dont see it as bright as in videos and pictures from others. Its very very dim for me. Have to investigate some more. Something is apparently wrong somewhere.

EDIT: Quickly tested some other combos and it was really good, lol. :D I think i must have tested some car that possibly didnt have strong headlights. But its still pretty dim (too dim) during sunup/sundown. That could be increased a little bit. Not when sun hits the road, but when its between sun hitting the track and coming up. I tested 2 combos before during that time and it was dark to the point of needing headlights, and the headlights did almost nothing.

Last edited:
For me rF2 is pretty much plug and play, especially now when it's on Steam and all ISI/S397 content downloads automatically. Basically FFB settings, graphics settings, sound settings and wheel settings (when you load the right profile for each wheel) are if not perfect, at least pretty good on default values. If you talk about difficulty when you get into modding and more complex things, then I can agree, it takes a bit more effort to understand that. But for a user that doesn't want to get into these things, the default install is good enough most likely (same couldn't be said about rF1 which had almost no stock content and required almost a hundred parameters to be adjusted in FFB alone).

Not a single disagreement with any of the above. My biggest issue by far lately has been offline racing against AI which are either too slow, are unable to navigate the track, or shove me off the track. It seems to go without saying that not all combos work well. The problem is that finding the ones that work, along with aggression, etc. settings requires testing. I just created this thread so let's see how that goes.

I really don't understand the issues people are facing with rF2. It's always worked and been pretty straightforward for me and many others that I've raced with over the years.
The only tweaking I need to do is whenever Nvidia release new drivers and I have to constantly tweak NCP and NI every time due to it being a fresh install.
But that isn't rF2's fault anyway.
Graphics settings are pretty much burned into my brain now anyway for optimum settings on my setup so takes less than 5 minutes.

Installing content is so easy. It's on the steam workshop if you're installing a mod from a website you just download to where all the other files are and then install it from the main menu. No fuss and no issues...

Also the FFB. I don't think I've ever altered it. It just works out of the box so to speak. Now and then it needs resetting so I mapped a button for that on my steering wheel. Job done.

Don't disagree with any of this other than finding offline combos and settings that work.

I think some people are never happy with rf2 in the first place and then try to make it better which it doesn't get to be honest.

I just use 8xMultisampling and I haven't done a driver update in month because the one I use works and newer drivers don't help my 780 nor a dx9 game.

FFB wise I only disable the rumblestrip pull factor. Oh and sometimes I change the sound of speed to match a specific venue...but that is all. (and something s397 should automate tbh..)

Don't disagree with any of this.

I tested Sebring with different cars in rF2 and i couldnt see where i was going...

EDIT: Quickly tested some other combos and it was really good, lol. :D I think i must have tested some car that possibly didnt have strong headlights. But its still pretty dim (too dim) during sunup/sundown. That could be increased a little bit. Not when sun hits the road, but when its between sun hitting the track and coming up. I tested 2 combos before during that time and it was dark to the point of needing headlights, and the headlights did almost nothing.

Would be interesting, if this issue persist on latest ISI tracks, too? Maybe car headlights needs to be increased the intensity? But a quick compare between an older ISI car and the GT500 shows, that the light intensity wasnt changed.

Perhaps you are expecting an unrealistic headlight brightness during dusk or dawn. Yesterday i was driving my real life Ford F150 at dusk (the darkest part of evening twilight) and i could barely see any light projected on to the road surface from my headlights and it really didn't make much of any difference turning my headlights on or off at this time!

This new GT500 car is fantastic to drive, and I really hope someone does a sound mod. Just did a bunch of laps at the excellent Sebring 12h layout (Virtua_LM track) and it was incredible. Does anyone know if I could somehow use the sound from a different mod? I've got the URD T5 paymod and those engines are nearly identical to what they run in GT500.

GT500 really need better sounds. In replay cameras it sounds Ok'ish, but onboard, they are awfull. Maibe they are a placeholder, till S397 get better samples... Other than that, car is good.

Good sound samples from mods are hard to find, as anyone who has made the effort of acquiring some original samples would probably encrypt them. The original sound samples are good even in this car, they sound just fine on the FR3.5 2014 which uses a similar(ish) Renault engine. The problem is that they appear muffled and distorted on the GT500, the Renault samples were somehow processed badly for this car.

Don't know about the T5 but EGT and PX are not encrypted, kinda funny they had reasons to do it but didn't, meanwhile Enduracers....
Breaking this encryption is not hard tho
If the EGT and PX are not encrypted then a good chance the T5 has none as i was only assuming it would.

That depends on the encryption strength you are using. :)

Last edited:
Sounds pretty much the same to me at least in these videos, it sounds like exactly the same sample used in both but with some sound filter applied on the GT500.

Couldnt play the 1st vid , but many are saying the same as you, which is why I posted as for me they are not the same which has me wondering what I have done to my sound files. I do agree though the sound is very off in the Nissan.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 319 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 219 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 161 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 279 13.5%