Night transition or rain?

night is mostly a visual thing that doesn't really change the mechanics of the game at all.

Well I'd argue that the dynamics of how one picks up the track markers, braking points, turn in, etc not to mention the experience of tracking opposing traffic in mirrors becomes a whole different feeling and somewhat different skill set. To transition seamlessly from day to night on the same track fighting the same cars is I think a very interesting challenge.

Though one other thing that should be mentioned is that in an ideal representation of the track conditions the transition would also change the track temperature and therefore alter the handling of things so its not purely visual either. In a proper long race it could be an interesting thing, but for most people who only do sprint races its probably not as compelling as rain.

I would also say that night is not just a visual thing that's nice to look at (although I do love it on racing broadcasts for the looks for sure). Temperature changes can influence the driving and tyre choices. During sunset/sunrise you'll have to look into the sun at some points of the track. At night the lack of light on track influences the driving (unless it's a track entirely lit up with floodlights), depth perception and peripheral vision is impacted. Quick, irritating changes in light can become fatiguing. Blinding lights in the mirrors, bright rear/brake lights or cars pointing your way for whatever reason can pose a challenge. Dirt and smears on the windscreen lead to distracting reflections and make seeing out harder over time (wipers don't clean everything and headlights also collect dirt, so there's tear-offs and cleaning crew). All sorts of challenges in endurance racing. But also all stuff that makes the racing less of a static experience.

I disagree, I think its more than just having less light. From what I´ve been able to pick up from some drivers (interviews), especially at the 24h of Nürburgring, when night falls its like another layout, like the difference in reference points and parts of the track that are literally pitch black as not even headlights illuminate them. Combine this with heavy rain+ traffic, one of the manliest challenges there is racing wise.

Well lit tracks like Daytona however, yeah might be just visual. The atmosphere it gives you still is kinda cool though and adds to the immersion.

There is even more than that. You have to factor dew point, which effect horse power and track surface. Increasing one while decreasing the other plus reduced visual could make it seem like a different track and car!

Neither. Rather have loose surface support.

If forced to choose... I've put almost 3500 hours into AC and not one single time have i thought to myself "you know, this would be more fun if it was raining." But every now and again I think night might be neat, for screenshots and such.

Last edited:
I still say rain and always will, night races are way more limited in most motorsports,
where as rain is almost a daily occurrence, it dramatically alters the outcomes of the racing and results,
but obviously needs doing correct and be very dynamic,
I have won countless races in games in the wet it really does sort the men out from the boys,
even lapping people in 2nd.

Well, since I finally got SOL running about a month ago I can say that just about every session I've setup since then has had either night-to-day or day-to-night transition. Only one had rain, briefly. So I guess I know what my preference is. :D

Driving the LA Canyons at sunset and watching it transition to full night and seeing all the city lights and radio tower lights and flames in the hot air balloons and AI traffic headlights winding up the road toward you...well that's my idea of sim driving bliss. :)

I was fortunate enough to live somewhere for a while were it hardly ever rained.
But was born to a country were it always seemed to be raining, not so much now though?

The last possible inducement for me would be a wet circuit.

Night and day, I can live with that.

It adds some interest.

If we are talking about AC, well I just hope rain gets fully integrated in Content Manager/Shaders Patch together with Sol. AC has probably some limitations for the wet tarmac physics, but still it would be awesome to be driving around LA Canyons and it starts pouring.

Last I checked, this is 2019, so both.:D
Back in the days, a long time ago, in a distant galaxy, meaning a long time ago, in GT5, on PS3, we had rain and night, so not having it on a PC in 2019 and having to choose does not sound right.:whistling:
Now there is having rain and there is having rain, it needs to be done right, like it is done in ACC, could be better but as good as I have ever experienced it in a SIM. Done wrong, like in other SIM I won't mention and it is a waste of time.
Not doing night right, should not even be a subject of discussion.:rolleyes:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back