Nico Hulkenberg confirmed at Force India for 2015

Nico Hulkenberg Force India F1.jpg

After some recent speculation that the Sahara-Force India team were waiting on Ferrari to confirm their driver line-up before announcing their's, it seems things have quickly changed for the team as today they confirmed the talented German Nico Hulkenberg would be retained by the team for next year.

After consistently impressing in F1 since his rookie year in 2010, Hulkenberg has spent the majority of his F1 career with the Sahara-Force India team, with only solo seasons with Williams in 2010 and Sauber in 2013 blotting their relationship. Despite being consistently linked with top line driver it seems unfathomable that he remains without a race winning F1 race seat.

This year is another example of Hulkenberg's talent as he currently sits 8th in the drivers standings with 76 pints after scoring in 13 of 16 races so far, 29 more than team mate Sergio Perez. This is despite the team falling back in terms of overall competitiveness as the season wears on.

Sahara-Force India team principal Vijay Mallya announced the confirmation of Hulkenberg earlier today "Everybody in the team is delighted to see Nico remain a Force India driver for next season, We rate him very highly and he has done a tremendous job this year by consistently picking up crucial Championship points. We know him extremely well: he's a true racer and he knows how to motivate the team. I am convinced he is one of the best talents on the grid and I am proud that he will continue to race in the colours of Force India."

Nico Hulkenberg also added " It's good to confirm my plans for next season. This is a team I know extremely well and we've enjoyed a great year together with some special results, The team has big ambitions and I believe we can have a competitive package once again next year. We have a strong partner in Mercedes and everyone in the team is motivated and hungry for more success. I have a good feeling for 2015 and there is a lot to be excited about as we try to build on the results we have achieved this year."

Whilst Nico Hulkenberg can be happy his F1 seat with Sahara-Force India is confirmed for next year, it does seem increasingly frustrating that despite showing an abundance of talent Hulkenberg again is overlooked for a race winning seat. He is a potential future F1 champion it seems the only thing holding him back right now is his lack of commercial package he can bring to teams. For now he will simply have to continue to display his talents with the Sahara-Force India team for next year. What are your thoughts on this announcement?

The reaction of Giedo van der Garde today: "Congrats buddy Nico Hülkenberg, hopefully we can have some nice fights next year, like the old days ;) " (from his facebook page).
He hints at a race seat. Force India (instead of Perez ?) ?, Sauber ? ...

• Deleted member 130869

It amazes me his agent still hasn't landed him on a proper seat, especially given who he - agent - is (unless that has changed and I don't know). That guy has McLaren, Ferrari, Mercedes and now even Williams talent written all over him.

The recent changes in the car and the tracks seem to have brought out Pérez' potential and we now often see Sergio beating Nico. That won't bode well for him in the future so hopefully he proves me wrong but staying at Force India beyond 2015 will be career suicide given the (stupid) trend of only giving youngsters a shot. Lotterer proved talent overcomes age, and age can sustain speed easily into the 35-year old range. But it's the Red Bull effect, we'll see how long it will last.

Geido Van Der Garde's reaction sounds to be letting the cat out the bag slightly I hope I'm not jumping the gun in believing it sounds like he's confident of a race seat next year which he deserves after his season at Caterham last year

With Max in the Toro Rosso we have plenty of enough Dutchies in F1. Guido is a nice GP2 driver but at his age not the super talent for F1. There are plenty of other drivers (with less rich father in laws) that deserve a shot.

Geido Van Der Garde's reaction sounds to be letting the cat out the bag slightly I hope I'm not jumping the gun in believing it sounds like he's confident of a race seat next year which he deserves after his season at Caterham last year
Well drivers have hinted at a race seat many times, only to then not race the following season :p

e.g. Alguersuari :)

It surprises me a bit, I thought that he would leave F1 after Ferrari would not contract him. I hope for him that Force India is able to give him a good car next year. This man is a real talent.

And about v/d Garde. As a Dutchman I hope to see him race next year, but I do not find it one of the greatest talents in F1. If he acquires a seat it has more to do with the size of his wallet (or actually the wallet of his father in law) then his talent.

• Deleted member 161052

He should deserve a podium finish in my view.

It amazes me his agent still hasn't landed him on a proper seat, especially given who he - agent - is (unless that has changed and I don't know). That guy has McLaren, Ferrari, Mercedes and now even Williams talent written all over him.

The recent changes in the car and the tracks seem to have brought out Pérez' potential and we now often see Sergio beating Nico. That won't bode well for him in the future so hopefully he proves me wrong but staying at Force India beyond 2015 will be career suicide given the (stupid) trend of only giving youngsters a shot. Lotterer proved talent overcomes age, and age can sustain speed easily into the 35-year old range. But it's the Red Bull effect, we'll see how long it will last.
If Perez would have scored as many points as Nico, Force India would be 9 points ahead of McLaren instead of 20 points behind them. I agree that Perez had his moments this season, but if I have a Red Bull, Ferrari or Mercedes I need a driver, who delivers very good everytime he gets in a car and can deliver outstanding results like Nico did nearly once or twice every year. Perez has these moments maybe a tiny bit more often, but the rest isnt strong enough. If you have a WC car Nico will win you the title, Perez may have some superb races, but I am not sure, if he will deliver every race.

Nice one, he's a good driver and deserved to go to Ferrari at the end of 2013. Hope we'll never see again drivers like Maldonado or Ericsson, too bad for such a tough championship

I remember in 2012 when he was driving for HRT at Interlagos he was running 5th in a HRT and was fighting with Lewis who was in a McLaren that was until he punted Lewis off the track

It was Hulkenburg wasnt it or was it karthkein the Indian bloke? I know they both had brilliant races when it comes to mind
Hulkenberg has never driven for HRT.
Karthikeyan used to drive for HRT before they went under, and he never punted Hamilton off at Brazil, that was in fact Hulkenberg in the Force India that did that. It was Karthikeyan who got into an incident with Vettel in Malaysia where Vettel seemed to cut back in front of him too soon and punctured his tyre.

I don't really recall any brilliance from Karthikeyan in his whole career other than simply existing lol.

Hulkenberg has never driven for HRT.
Karthikeyan used to drive for HRT before they went under, and he never punted Hamilton off at Brazil, that was in fact Hulkenberg in the Force India that did that. It was Karthikeyan who got into an incident with Vettel in Malaysia where Vettel seemed to cut back in front of him too soon and punctured his tyre.

I don't really recall any brilliance from Karthikeyan in his whole career other than simply existing lol.
I think it was Karthikeyan that was going to score a point but then stuffed it all up and Nico taking out Hamilton

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 200 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%