Nextion to Vocore upgrade for my wheel

I have recently purchased a VPG RSPG wheel, and it is honestly quite amazing, except the screen (and maybe the button leds)

It is my first nextion screen and after getting used to the flexibility of my CSX-3, it looks horrible. It is also much harder to change dashes as well.

Has anyone opened up a VPG wheel before? It is a really hard upgrade?

Nextion screens use serial communications wehreas Vocore utilise USB. So you'll more than likely need to include a USB hub in the wheel. Not to mention the mounting solutions are very different.
I wouldn't suggest this unless you're pretty proficient with DIY.

I've had multiple Vocore screens in either wheels or DDUs and every one of them had power related issues.

Either they:
- Wouldn't power up;
- Froze
- Lost Power or had dropouts
- Had to be connected only to USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 ports
- Had to be connected directly to the PC and wouldn't work with USB Hubs

I don't know if it is because it can't get sufficient or reliable power from USB, however based on my experience, I won't buy another Vocore based product.

I have recently purchased a VPG RSPG wheel, and it is honestly quite amazing, except the screen (and maybe the button leds)

It is my first nextion screen and after getting used to the flexibility of my CSX-3, it looks horrible. It is also much harder to change dashes as well.

Has anyone opened up a VPG wheel before? It is a really hard upgrade?
I have the same wheel, no problems, plus you can get screens custom made for not much money.
So, you do not say exactly what your problems are with the screen. I say that because I returned it back to the manufacture to change the screen from Perspex to gorilla glass, a big difference?

I've had multiple Vocore screens in either wheels or DDUs and every one of them had power related issues.

Either they:
- Wouldn't power up;
- Froze

I don't know if it is because it can't get sufficient or reliable power from USB, however based on my experience, I won't buy another Vocore based product.
Interesting, I've had the opposite experience.
I've had nothing but trouble with my USBD480 wheel, my vocore products (3) have been flawless.

Are you running AMD or intel? AMD has a lot of USB issues.

My only complaint about Nextion is a big one, modifying the dashboard easily.
I have tried the Nextion editor, but gave up, the learning curve is too high just to modify my dash board.
Totally unlike most SimHub dash boards which I have no problem with.
Does any one know how to modify Nextion dash boards easily.:(

My only complaint about Nextion is a big one, modifying the dashboard easily.
I have tried the Nextion editor, but gave up, the learning curve is too high just to modify my dash board.
Totally unlike most SimHub dash boards which I have no problem with.
Does any one know how to modify Nextion dash boards easily.:(
Unfortunately there is no real easy way to modify nextion dashes. That was one of the main reasons I moved to Vocore. For those suffering with vocore screen issues. This could be a usb bandwidth issue. If you are running a bunch of hubs and devices off the same controller this can happen.

Last edited:
I create my own dashes for simhub, even posted some of the older versions here.

I don't mind learning creating nextion dashes as well, but vpg software does not allow them to be uploaded. It has to be signed with firmware (not very sure about the process, but in short i am not able to upload other nextion dashes apart from vpg provided ones)

It is a shame really. It is a great wheel otherwise. Useless screen. Might end up selling the wheel.

Either they:
- Wouldn't power up;
- Froze

My csx3 is a usbd screen. My grid ddu5 is a vocore screen. Never had any issues with any of them. My pc is AMD 5900X, has a USB PCIX card with 4 USB 2 and USB 3 buses. Using powered hub too.

I create my own dashes for simhub, even posted some of the older versions here.

I don't mind learning creating nextion dashes as well, but vpg software does not allow them to be uploaded. It has to be signed with firmware (not very sure about the process, but in short i am not able to upload other nextion dashes apart from vpg provided ones)

It is a shame really. It is a great wheel otherwise. Useless screen. Might end up selling the wheel.
Wow, it's really disappointing to be locked into a vendor specific dashboard. Especially at the price point of the hardware. Changing and modifying dashboards to your needs is a large functional point of even having a display.

Hi there, I’m Manny from VPG you can create your own dashboard using the Nextion editor and upload them using the software. If you send us a message on IG or FB or an email we can get on discord together and I will show you how to do that step by step

Hi there, I’m Manny from VPG you can create your own dashboard using the Nextion editor and upload them using the software. If you send us a message on IG or FB or an email we can get on discord together and I will show you how to do that step by step
Hi Manny,

I just wanted to have an empty dash, since i have my own DDU and can't turn off the screen.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 196 88.3%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 37 16.7%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 30 13.5%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 32 14.4%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 62 27.9%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 76 34.2%