1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

NEXT SERIES: NEW POLL (Open Wheel)

Discussion in 'Xbox One | British GT Championship' started by Rob, Aug 30, 2015.

1. F1 Historics (Lotus Open Wheel)

53.8%
  2. Formula C (GP3)

46.2%
  1. Rob

Rob
    XBO: OctoberDusk06 Premium Member

The two most popular open wheel classes have been culled. Please vote for one by September 13th. This will be our main event. Number of votes is most important, but also participation of the voting block (in past open wheel events on pCARS) is a factor too.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  2. Rob

Rob

F1 Historic (Lotus)
    Cars:
    Lotus 49 Cosworth
    After a difficult first year for Lotus in the 3 litre formula, Chapman went back to the drawing board and came up with a design that was both back to basics, and a leap ahead. Taking inspiration from earlier designs, the 49 was the first F1 car to be powered by the now-famous Ford Cosworth DFV engine after Chapman convinced Ford to build an F1 powerplant.
    The Lotus 49 was one of the headlining cars in Grand Prix Legends. Virtual versions are in development for Assetto Corsa also.
    [​IMG]

Lotus 72D Cosworth
    Colin Chapman's efforts produced one of the most remarkable and successful designs in F1 history. Taking the stressed engine layout technique from the Lotus 49 and adding advanced aerodynamics produced a car that was years ahead of its rivals. To begin with however, problems with the handling of the car had to be overcome, due to a lack of 'feel' caused by the anti-dive suspension geometry - which was designed to prevent the nose of the car dipping significantly under braking - and the anti-squat set-up at the rear, which was supposed to stop the car 'squatting down' under acceleration. Once the suspension was modified, there were no further problems. The car caused a sensation amongst the media and fans, with many people clamouring to see the remarkable car in action.
    [​IMG]

Lotus 78 Cosworth

The 78 was loosely based on the Lotus 72, sharing the same basic wedge shape and internal layout, but featuring detailed aerodynamic improvements, better weight distribution and a longer wheelbase. It had a slimmer, stronger monocoque, which was developed from the 77. The bodywork was made up of fiberglass body panels with aluminium used to strengthen the chassis at points. The car created quite a stir when it first appeared, and outwardly seemed ahead of its time. Internally of course, it was a quantum leap ahead. Andretti worked hard with the car, testing for many thousands of miles at the Lotus test track.
    [​IMG]

Lotus 98T Renault

[​IMG]
    A difficult car to drive with assists on, the Lotus 98T forced me back to driving school in turning all assists off. Learning the many unique handling characteristics of cars from the turbo F1 era. From approach to grip and sliding the car to braking distance, gear changes and general techniques in maximising speed. Note that cars like this don't always require you to be on the power 100%, its about being progressive and controlling the throttle.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  3. Rob

Rob

Formula C

4. Michael Watts

Michael Watts
    XB1 Gamertag: michaei watts Premium Member

I like the 78 and 98

5. Rob

Rob

Funny you mention those. The 98T became sort of a legend in a PLC Hardcore League that Peter and I participated in via F1 2013. He termed it, endearingly, "The Bathtub" and that stuck. It was such a handful, even on the 360. With pCARS, it's even more appealing. As you probably know, it's both maddening and so satisfying at the same time. Such Turbo boost.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mcnasty1

mcnasty1
    mcnasty0421

Would we be running all the historic cars on just the 98t?

7. mcnasty1

mcnasty1
    mcnasty0421

Just ran the 78 at Road America..so far its my favorite the turbo is certainly a challenge but the 78 imo is just more fun to drive.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rob

Rob

All of them. We would simply pick as many "historic" tracks (too bad they didn't include old Monza and Spa, as they were mapped) as possible (and there are many, including the Green Hell, which, yes, they run, as Railer pointed out to my consternation) and then couple them with a classic car on a rotational basis. I don't think any of these cars had assists, so cockpit only, real assists, standing starts, etc., and a very different, but similar car every race. In a prior league like this with F1 2013, we rotated cars per person per race, but the participation is not steady enough to do that here.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mcnasty1

mcnasty1
    mcnasty0421

Ok cool

10. Very, very fond memories of that series, such a lot of fun. Just one slight correction.. it was the Williams FW07B that I named the 'Bathtub', slowest car on the grid and with just 4 gears but oh so much fun to drive. Would love to see that and others from the classics in this game :inlove:

The 98T was indeed one of the harder cars to drive fast and consistently in the game, the turbo kick was tough to manage at times but also because of it's lack of gear indicator on the dash. I certainly had some fun in it though.

Ironically I was watching a great program on the iconic Lotus 72 yesterday and this morning :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rob

Rob

That's right. The 98T was actually one of the faster ones. And your wish is a distinct possibility, I think, Peter, as there is a "?" under the Lotus Classics on the WMD/SMS Car page. They have the license to them all probably, and I would not be surprised to see them add a few more. :thumbsup:

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. This one is a no brainer for me despite how much I enjoy the GP3 cars. The historic's just have so much character and of course some seriously fun memories for me from my time in Grand Prix Legends. These cars are the closest you will get to that experience and I reckon a series with them is a must do, if not this time certainly some other time.

The 72 is just so iconic and in the game it's a fantastic drive. You can almost feel the history oozing out of it at every turn. Stunning job by SMS.

Of course the Lotus 49 is the actual GPL feature car and it's incredibly well done in this game. I would say that it has much more understeer than I remember and possibly too much grip as it was one of those cars that you could really throw into a corner and drift around but in my brief time with it this morning it seemed to have to much grip for that. But even so it's a beaut.

These cars at the Ring I can tell you were something else!! Can't wait to get it dialed in and take it for a spin there now I have got in to it for the first time :inlove: May not be able to get me out of these historic's now. If only Zaandvoort, Kyalami, Mosport, Rouen, et al were here for us to race on.. looks off into the distance relieving past glories lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Michael Watts

Michael Watts

I wouldn't mind running some Formula C, but I really would like to run some different tracks. We've yet to run any American tracks and I think you are really missing out. Willow Springs is very sparse and boring, but Watkins Glen, Sonoma, and Road America are really good tracks. There's also a really 3rd really nice track in Germany that was in Shift II. Dubai could be fun, maybe a run at Sakkito, or China, Catalunya. You can even run some different layouts of those tracks. I won't be anywhere competitive in an open wheel series that you've guys already had a lot of practice in. So I might as well enjoy the scenery. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Rob

Rob

Bear in mind this is not a popularity contest, so your vote carries a lot of weight. The folks who have been racing in open wheel and GT3 from the start will carry more weight, as will those who have made more races. (Not including, of course, those who came in late but are consistently there). That's not a dig against your post, Mike, but actually the opposite. You have been such a solid and active supporter, and I really appreciate all your input. Just wanted to say I hear ya.

If you want American tracks, the more likely series to get them is F1 Historic. They actually did run in the U.S.A. A lot. Back when F1 was not Euro-centric. So we have more flexibility. Think Watkins Glen and Laguna Seca, although in reality, the Glen was the only track they came to often and most others, until recently, were temporary street courses, like Phoenix, Dallas, Detroit, and Long Beach, so Laguna is the closest to that.

On the Sedan side, I think it's just open. They are all over the world.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rob

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  16. Watkins Glenn was a hugely popular F1 race back in the early sixties right up to 1980. It was also one of the featured tracks in Grand Prix Legends (yes I know.. how many times am I going to bring that game up lol) so it would be perfect for any historic series involving the Lotus cars we have. I spent some fantastically enjoyable hours in the Lotus 49 at this track and can't wait to recreate those time in pCars.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Michael Watts

Michael Watts

LoL, I changed my vote to the GP3 they are a lot of fun, and still provide diagnostic info. I could see them running GP3 at CotA. I know they don't have that...but Just think since it's Our series we can run where ever we want to run. But I guess if we run a World schedule in LMP900 we don't have to race around in the GP3's I just want to enjoy all the tracks (as small of list as it is).

18. I could very easily see the Lotus's running on that track also. I think they would be a real nice challenge there.

19. Michael Watts

Michael Watts

Changed my vote again. Voting solely for the 98T and the possibility of running the Glen.
    Those cars are very Senna-esque.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. Rob

Rob

You can bank on that.

• Like Like x 1