1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

NEXT SERIES: A NEW POLL (Tin Tops)

Discussion in 'Xbox One | British GT Championship' started by Rob, Aug 30, 2015.

Pick One Tin Top Series You Want Next.

Poll closed Sep 13, 2015.
  1. GT1

22.2%
  2. LMP900 & GT4

77.8%
  1. Rob

Rob
    XBO: OctoberDusk06 Premium Member

Two popular Sports Car/GT classes have been culled. Please vote for one by September 13th. This will be our main event. Number of votes is most important, but also participation of the voting block (in past open wheel events on pCARS) is a factor too.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  2. Rob

Rob

GT 4
    In the GT 4 series you step among other things racing cars such as the BMW M3 GT4 and the Ginetta G55 GT4 against each other with no assists. Despite the good performance we recommend you here again to brake late before curves and to take enough momentum with. In addition, you should use on long grades the slipstream to overtake your competitors easily.
    This is to race cars, as you already know from other racing games. This means that you do not expect any surprises in terms of performance and handling, and ye shall find along well even without prior testing.
    A typical race day in the GT Class 4 looks like this:
    1 x Training
    1 x Qualifying
    1 x Sprint race
    1 x main race

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  3. Rob

Rob

LMP900
    Welcome to the one plus ultra of all racing classes in the early 2000s. You start your season in this class with one of these cars**:
    2003 Bentley Speed8 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentley_Speed_8)
    [​IMG]

2002 Audi R8 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R8_(LMP))

[​IMG]

1999 BMW V12 LMR (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_V12_LMR)

[​IMG]

These were the predecessors of the modern LMP1 cars. The vehicles are similar in terms of handling to their little brothers from the LMP2 class. They are, however, a cut above them, which extremely high top speeds. The have no assists or KERS.
    As always, slow down until late in front of curves and take enough momentum with. Again, you should use the slipstream to better overtaking can. Grade on long straights is the slipstream essential!
    Unlike the previous classes you completed here no certain number of laps, but ride as long as until the time expired. The duration of the race can you set before the race on the calendar.
    ** Note: These a fraction slower and older than the LMP1 cars, but do not have assists, KERS.

A typical race day looks like this:
    1 x Training
    1 x Qualifying
    Endurance Race

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  4. Rob

Rob

GT1
    These cars are the pinnacle of Grand Touring racing and race with no assists, extremely high speeds, and closer performance to open wheel cars, such as a DTM car.

Cars
    :
    1997 McLaren F1GTR Long Tail
    [​IMG]
    1998 Mercedes-Benz CLK-LM
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  5. Michael Watts

Michael Watts
    XB1 Gamertag: michaei watts Premium Member

I think you can run the GT1-Xs on the track with the LMP1's. I thought you were going to ban the RWD's as they were fictional and more advantageous to drive.
    After watching the race at Miller Motorsports park there is another option...
    a Spec RUF series.. Momo GT Cup. eh just a thought. I know how you love the RUF's Robert!

6. Rob

Rob

Thanks. Yea, all possibilities, but I've got to stop the merry go round of options at some point. That's why I had some early discussion with you about some potential Touring cars that would be workable. Your Trans-Am suggestion didn't win out over your GT4 suggestion, so I kept the GT4, but the other car it tied with (LMP1) was also a tin top (technically) so they were combined because they do run together in real life.

I never liked Porsche or Ferrari, but occasionally a car comes along, like the Italia 458 by Ferrari, that is the exception. The Ruf felt like that on line. So, I took the leap, and don't regret it, but the Audi was my first choice. Aston or Beemer would be in real life.

I'm not banning anything. All that is to be decided later. By discussion. But since the LMP1's got four votes, they are on the list. We can work out the details later. The GT4's got three votes, but we don't have the numbers to make a mixed series work, other tan alternating. Open wheel will involve a spec ride, many have expressed wanting to be able to choose from a class of cars in a GT/tin top series. It makes sense to me, since there is brand preference there.

I'm not sure the GT-X1 cars exist in real life, or in real life racing, rather. No car can compete with the LMP1 cars from Europe. Here, the United Sports Car geniuses banned the class when they bought Panos' ALMS. Guess it was too complicated for them.

But we do have a vote. So, we have to move on with the results we have. The GT1 cars were added to at least give a classic GT option (with choice) to an otherwise spec class that is not even run in America anymore, but really getting popular in Europe due to it's cutting edge technology and speed with good manufacturer support. However, the cars are not the best when it comes to getting a handle on them (even with TC) or trying to see out of them. That's not a good mix, lol, but hey, it was popular. I think everyone was watching the WEC race today over there. I know I did.

7. Michael Watts

Michael Watts

Well, what ever series pans out I'd like to run some races in America. We've got some great tracks over here and we haven't even touched on them other than our brief test at Willow Springs. The American tracks need some love too.

8. Rob

Rob

Oh I agree completely. I was hoping the tin top series would do that, but if folks are going to gravitate toward LMP1 cars and GT4 cars, it's going to be awkward with either F1 or GP3 as the open wheel European series, but we shall make it happen. Can't ever forget about Willow, Watkins, or Road America. They missed the best one, but I'll give them a pass. lol.

On another note, there are some great unknown road courses over here too..like VIR, Barber, NOLA, Mid-Ohio, Lime Rock, and Utah.

9. Rob

Rob

Took a look at the LMP1 class again Michael and you were right in that they are not equal and it's because of assists and KERS. Only two (the ones from 2014) have both KERS and TC as the sole assist. The RWD Fictional has ABS/SC and KERS and the 2011 Audi R18 does not have KERS. So, we have a choice of two.

10. I'll have a look at these cars this week. One thing that I am a bit confused about though is if the assists are what makes them unequal then why not just run them no assists. I do that as a matter of course anyway and we are all big boys so I am sure no assist is not a problem for us surely :whistling:

• Haha Haha x 1
  11. Michael Watts

Michael Watts

give it whirl Peter... I don't have a wheel so I can't really say. I just know those cars are super light and very torque-y. I would rather race, though instead of trying to drive my car out of the gravel every couple of laps or so. I'm just not that confident in the FFB allowing me to save the car when it snaps loose, hell I'm not confident in the wheel even working.

12. Rob

Rob

I have tested all of these many times and was in the LMP1 cars last night. I agree with Michael. It's like trying to drive with the Turbo Boost of the 98T at *all* times. These cars are extremely powerful. Remember, they are heavier, but almost as fast as an F1 car. If any car needs TC, these do. Besides, you know I'm a big fan of Realism over Artificiality.

That said, Peter, I did disable to assists on the GT1-X Cars because they are fictional and their counterparts (where you can find them) do not run with assists, since they largely run sprint races, although I'm not sure about LeMans and Enduance Events, but that's not going to be our format. The GT1 cars have no assists, but the two choices there are pretty weak.

13. Well, I had a go of them all this morning and I have to say I'm surprised that you think they really need any assist. I found them more than stable running with no assists. I threw the car around a bit to try to get it out of shape to see how I could recover and it was fine for me, even with no FFB to go by. My only issue was the restricted view but I didn't want to spend time messing around with the camera settings so just drove it as it was and I am sure I could make that a bit better once I do and thats how they have it in the real world so it's cool with me. The GT4 cars are nice too, I like the GInetta but would probably stick with the Aston if I went that route. but I would like to take the LMP1 I think simply because they look so cool and I've never driven them in a series before.

On the GT1X front I found them more difficult off the bat, especially the RUF, I always find that a bit too cumbersome for my liking. I always base my findings on the default setup because that is more often than not where I am in these cars due to not enough time to spend ages setting them up and these cars I felt would need much more time in setup to get them comfortable for me. Very understeery due to the weight I guess. While the LMP1's are pretty much decent out of the box and I could see some good racing in them.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  14. Rob

Rob

I'd have to say that I found pretty much the opposite. Maybe it was because I'm used to the Ruf, but I had no problems taking it up to speed at Spa. Oh well, guess that's why we have voting. The LMP1 cars are nice, but I think they would get a bit tedious for me after a couple of races. Not the best car to feel like you are driving in a race, but sure are fast....

We could also drive the GT3 cars without assists no problem, but they have them in real life. Thus, we have them. The GT1 cars don't The GT1X cars should not. Also, the LMPS1 cars, unlike the GT3 cars and other LMP cars, have only TC. They really don't feel much different, except coming out of the corners, then we get to the slider. That's the flexibility. You can dial it up or dial it down according to your preference. We all could.

15. We don't all have them ;) It just goes against what I want from my racing that's all. In the LMP1's I wouldn't dial it down I would dial it off full stop lol. Takes away the fun for me knowing there's something other then my input controlling the car... that's where artificiality comes into it for me but horses for courses I suppose. I simply couldn't see any reason to have it on at all tbh in those LMP1's.

The RUF just felt like a boat lol. I'm sure I could dial it in with time on the setup but that's always whats short for me so I would leave that car alone for now.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  16. Rob

Rob

If the consensus is no assist then I will choose cars without assists however if the consensus was as it was before we started the GT3 league then assists are fine as long as they're realistic. That was the sense I got and I'm not sure why the change of course now because the GT3 cars are actually easier to drive without assists.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  17. Rob

Rob

It's really the same reason why I don't choose fake cars on rather not drive a car that doesn't have what it has in real life and that includes assists but that's just me and like you said it's just horses for courses.

18. Michael Watts

Michael Watts

I can't say I've driving the LMP1's without TC its always been with Real Assists. So I don't know. I have driving the LMP2 with no assists, and those buggers are as hard as the F1 cars. I takes a lot of time to get used them here. And Peter, it may be easier to drive the beast without FFB getting in the way. I find myself fighting the car a lot of times. When I get a new wheel I can test and give my two cents. I don't mind trying either way I suppose, just not sure how well these cars will drive in the rain without Real Assists. As far as GT4...After playing around with the Mustang in GT4 (Remove the rear roll bar completely) I'd give that another try but would still probably end up with the Ginetta if I ran a GT4 car.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rob

Rob

The ffb is not a factor for me as I'm used to and like the F1 style of car. As do others. But Michael you make a good point. I try to do two things mainly. Get a consensus and keep it real. The LMP spaceships really are just open wheelers in disguise so they lack the lateral grip of an F1 car and don't have the lb per inch downforce. Ergo for many they are tough and really not true sedans. But they got the vote. My personal opinion is that an LMP900 would fit best. Or an LMP1 class with a little less power and no assists (but they don't exist). I think we need to keep it "real" unless the car is fiction.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  20. Don't get me wrong I am not saying turn them off if thats what people want, just making the point that I won't be using them. As I said it's horses for courses... I just like my courses a little more challenging ;) I made the same point when Pete Evans spoke up against the fact that they were being used. You can still have fun racing no assists even when driving against others who are using them. Admittedly in the rain it's much more of an issue but it's a choice I make for my own personal enjoyment so I am fine with that.

I wouldn't agree that the GT3's are easier to drive without assists. I am definitely quicker if I use the assists that are allowed but I just prefer to stick with how i've always driven, it went against the grain and felt odd for me when I tried them after soi many years without them so I turned them all back off.

• Agree Agree x 1