Newcomer

Hi there,
I'm new to multiplayer sim racing, having only raced on forza 2 and 3 before. I bought Race07 a few hours ago and have done a few events with the AI and am enjoying it.

I'm effectively wondering how I should break into the multiplayer aspect of it all, I'm still waiting on a wireless receiver so I can hook up my wheel, so I'm only using a gamepad at the moment, and I'm slightly worried about not being competitive (I can do about 1.37 - 1.38 consistently on Brands Hatch in the 3 series).

Alongside this, having never simmed before, I have no idea what kind of etiquette is involved with it. I really don't want to jump onto some server and find out I'm in everyone's way, either through not knowing what I'm doing, or just being damned slow.
So I'm wondering if there's a friendly environment where I can find out whether I'm competitive and learn the ropes, without ruining somebody else's race.

On the other hand, I don't want to jump into a race full of 8 year old chimps and get crashed into once every 3 seconds for the duration of the event, which is my experience with every other online game... ever. For this reason I've held out entirely on going multiplayer before seeking advice.

Thanks for your input,
Biscuite

First of all, welcome :) Those are a lot of questions :) Let me see what I can answer for u.

In regards to racing etiquette, take a look at this information. Basic rules are explained here.
If you want to join the simracing, I would suggest you apply for a license on the bottom of this information. Make sure you read all the terms and conditions so you know how the process goes.
After that, join the racing events. Here you will have no (or almost none) 8 year old wreckers. IF someone misbehaves, he will be addressed via the race admins, so there is some control in the level of racing.

When you have your license ready, and you want to see of you are competetive, just join a race, and see what you can do in qually. That should give you some view in the competition.

My personal experience with the random online servers, is to either quallify in the first 2 rows, and how you manage to survice the first 2 rounds. About half the field is gone after round 2, and the "normal" racers stay in most of the time. That gives you an opportunity to get some laps experience. Other option, if you cant make it to front rows, is no qually. Start as last, and let the wreckers fight their war first. Keep clear of the mayham created in the first laps, so you can drive some nice laps afterwards. I know this is not what most of us want, but it is the way of the least frustration for myself :)

Have some fun!

Turned away at the first paragraph I'm afraid, no real names for me online. I'm not interested in anyone else's name and they certainly shouldn't be interested in mine. Thanks for the response and your time though. A shame, but this isn't the place for me. Maybe I'll see you on some public servers after I've forced some friends into buying.

See you around,
Biscuite

To bad. Like said above, the events are worth it, and personally i don't see why I should not register with my real name. Me participating in simracing is not something I would like to "hide" for the rest of the world, so I don't care :) I have nothing to hide for that matter, and if I would have something to hide, I would use a different name there :p

Take a look in the Post your movies section, and see how the races are held and driven. I am pretty sure that will at least make you think about it once more :)

License FAQ said:
Races at RaceDepartment.com are governed by our Licensed Membership Agreement. In order to take part in our races you must apply for a license which is free of charge. Licensed members are required to change their username to their real name.

Actually, it does say that :)

I could bet a lot of e-coins that not everyone is using their own names here.. For some it can be a problem for various reasons; famous/known person, netbullying, you name it.. Some need to separate real name from screen name. I don't personally know anybody not using real name but i understand and accept if some individuals can't do it.

It was a little close call for me but that particular annoyance disappeared at the time i joined so i have nothing but positive to say about RD:s privacy policy. If the alternative is to have that person not race among us, i choose modified real name. But if there are no real reasons, then it is not acceptable to not comply with rules like all of us. Zero-tolerance policies doesn't work in real life as the multitude of situations people live in are drastically different in this global community. The point behind the rule should be respected as it is there to stop trolling, wrecking and the usual problems that affects all anonymous gaming communities. To enhance the responsibility and to give people a chance to really stand behind their own actions and words by using their own legal names.

We do, our whole policy is about using real names. We have done that for years now as one of the first in the online simracing community and more are following.

Have you ever seen Lewis Hamilton driving in his McLaren as "TheBlackDude1984"?

There are plenty of places on the interweb where you can drive with a nickname though, we aren't forcing anybody. Actually our disclaimer is pretty clear on that. If you don't like to use your real name, don't sign up as RD is not the place for you.

FYI, we have a flawless way to check it:

inspectorgadget.jpg

I see a resemblance.....

But anyway, when I race online, I also use a fake name. Except when I would race RD, I would use my real name only then. Futher, there are SO many ways to check on people, that the usage of my real name at RD wont make a difference to me. But indeed, its personally.

I am also pretty sure not everybody here uses their real name, the same way I am sure not everybody is keeping the max speed on the highway. Rules will be bend or broken everywhere. However, be aware that when found out, there will probably be a consiquence. And since I like the info I get on here, I don't feel the need to cheat :)

I do like the idea behind real names, it really keeps a lot of negative stuff out. One of the main reasons why RD became popular in the first place and many other sites/leagues have joined that practice. And if one really has good valid reason to use fake, i think things can be arranged with staff (i'm not staff, so really don't know..). But as such, it probably would be a first as such situation would probably be too sensitive to even let the staff know... If it's just convenience or other not life threatening situation, expect to be kicked instantly out. It's only fair for every one else who have chosen to leave anonymity here..

The only exception we have made in the past is that Fernando Alonso is driving under his nickname Xose Estrada! He really would't have a life otherwise.

We started with real names in I think early 2007 and look how many other sites have adopted this system ever since. I can't recall one serious league or club site where the members race with a nickname.

We consider simracing as a serious sport / hobby and using real names is a first small step towards some form of professionalism

I started serious simracing during this summer so I was on the same boat you are now. I can definitely answer some of the questions.;)

1. Your timing at Brands Hatch 07 is good. You will not win any race with it online, but when you join the serwer with around 25 players two or three of them will have similar times and there will be a lot of fun competing with them. If you think logically you see that during each race you only compete with one guy at the given time so not being able to compete with so-called 'aliens' is not a problem.;)

2. Steering with a pad can be a problem but does not have to. I personally find Brands Hatch relatively easy to drive on using pad. My times are very similar compared against a wheel (though I have a very cheap budget wheel). The problem with pad is that it's harded to do consistent lap times. If you drive at 100% you may get time 1:37 at BH 07. But when you do so usng a pad it's very risky to drive at 100% all the time and I'm sure you noticed that as well. The other problem are overtaking maneuvers. You are less accurate with pad and this get's even more risky. Bear in mind on public servers people have a lot of problem with that even when using wheels (you will realise that when you join them for the first time:p). A good solution is to stick with FWD cars. They are more forgivable.

3. Don't be worried about server rules. First reason is that the rules aren't complex. You are expected to show good sportmanship and that's it. Some servers also want you to use speed limiter during pits all the time, but it is clearly stated by messages, which display regularly at the top of the screen. The second reason is that... there will always be somebody worse than you. I know it's hard to beleve when you actually didn't try it yet, but there is a lot of simply mindless players. Use your brain and you will gain an advantage over them.;)

3. You really should not be affraid of joining online servers.;) The only thing you need to learn is the track. Learning in an online game is just plain stupid. You aren't competetive and cause danger on the track. But if you know the track and use your brain you have no problems. It's that simple.

EDIT: Try different cars. Some of them appear to be very forgiving. I personally find Formula BMW very easy to drive and online competitions are easier to me than with WTCC cars. Too bad there aren't many online servers with these cars.

I'm planning to move onto more stock content rather than mods for my events now. The fact is that people want to play the newer addions. GTR Evo and Race On are getting old now.

With regard to names - iRacing doesn't give you the choice and look how popular that is.

The only exception we have made in the past is that Fernando Alonso is driving under his nickname Xose Estrada! He really would't have a life otherwise.

We started with real names in I think early 2007 and look how many other sites have adopted this system ever since. I can't recall one serious league or club site where the members race with a nickname.

We consider simracing as a serious sport / hobby and using real names is a first small step towards some form of professionalism
I just read this today but that with Xose is a joke, right?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back