1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Newbie Race Sim player from the UK - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Metalogic, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Metalogic

Metalogic
    Premium Member

Hi - I'm just getting into Race Sims, after finally getting some decent hardware (gaming laptop with an Nvidia 970M GPU and quad core i7 CPU), and have researched some of the games online.

I've looking to buy a serious racing sim (e.g.. Rfactor 2, Race Room Experience, Automobilista/GSCE, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars etc.), but it's just not practical for me to have a FFB wheel and pedal setup in my living environment currently, so sadly will be limited to using just an Xbox One Controller, for now anyway.

I understand that all the above do support an Xbox One Controller to some extent, but which ones are most playable with just a controller and no wheel? I'm most drawn to Automobilista/GSCE, Rfactor 2 or Race Room Experience, but am unsure how playable these would be with just an Xbox One Controller, and would consider others, including ones not on my list above. Is this the right place to ask, or should I post this question elsewhere?

Initially (as I have a lot to learn), I will mostly probably be playing single-player, so am also looking for a game with a good AI. It could be fun to race against humans, though!

I'm open minded about which types of cars to race, but would probably favour "tin tops" over open wheel.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Embarrassingly, Backmarker Champion 2015 & 2016 Staff Premium Member

Hi, and welcome to Race Department, hope you enjoy your time here. A couple of suggestions for you to try. On Steam you can get a free game called Copa Marcas, it's the touring cars included in SCE/Automobilista also free are 11cars and 3 tracks on Raceroom R3E and you can test drive any car as well. You could ask for further advice in the appropriate forums where others will have a better answer than I can give you.
    Hope that helps a bit.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    "Racing amuses me" - Enzo Ferrari Premium Member

Good to have you at RaceDepartment @Metalogic ! +1 to Assetto Corsa. I'm a self-professed fanboy of AC and make no claims to the contrary but hear me out. There are quite a few guys out there who bring their laptops and controllers with them to race on the go. With AC's impending, albeit delayed, release to Xbox One, there is good controller support there too. Check out this ------>Assetto Corsa Xbox 360 Controller Settings thread in the AC forum. The wheel will come soon enough; just give it time ;). Once the sim racing virus takes hold, it's down the rabbit hole with you!

Also:
    Consider going premium! It's the best value in sim racing and you can sign up for our RaceDepartment driver academies and improve your technique in a session with some of the best sim racers around. I wont harp on about it too much as the information is all listed here.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Metalogic

Metalogic
    Premium Member

Good to know about what sounds like good controller support in AC and the game has nice graphics for sure, but I've read that the AI is not good, which could limit single player use, also that there are some other issues with the game currently. I am interested in racing against humans, though, and may well go premium here, though fitting things I with family commitments may be tricky, also not sure how well I would do if everyone else is using a wheel...

The game I'm actually most interested in is the upcoming Automobilista title, it even has Minis in it, which I have a soft spot for, but I'm not sure how playable it will be with just a controller.

5. Paul Bennett

Paul Bennett
    Premium Member

It going a be case of try before you buy like Kenny said, RRE has some free content for testing. rF2 has a demo an Copa Marcus is free so that's a start, StockCarExtreme an Automobilista have a game pad controller setting.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    Sim Racing News Editor Staff Premium Member

Hey mate and welcome...

Cant really add more than has been said above regarding controllers, so i'll leave it as just a quick hello :)

Welcome to RD buddy

7. Metalogic

Metalogic
    Premium Member

Thanks for the advice everyone!

8. Ryan

Ryan
    "Racing amuses me" - Enzo Ferrari Premium Member

@Metalogic I don't know if you've noticed, but some of the Assetto Corsa and Automobilista clubs are running freemium races. If you sign up for one of the spots on hand, you can score yourself a free month of premium membership and race wheel-to-wheel with people from all over the world:

Stock Car V8 @ Brasilia - Monday March 7th 2016
    Vintage DTM @ Nürburgring GP - Thursday 3 March 2016
    599XX vs Zonda R @ Monza Tuesday 8 March 2016
    McLaren F1 GTR and McLaren P1 @ Silverstone - Thursday 10 March 2016
    GT2/GT3 @ Nürburgring GP - Friday 4 March 2016
    GT2 @ Spa - Sunday 6 March 2016
    GT3 @ Monza - Saturday 5 March 2016

9. Metalogic

Metalogic
    Premium Member

Thanks @Ryan - think I will need to spend some time learning how to drive vs AI in a racing sim before I'm able to race against humans, but I'll bear that in mind for the future

10. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Embarrassingly, Backmarker Champion 2015 & 2016 Staff Premium Member

It's a very real chance to get a feel for how friendly and helpful club racing can be. You will learn much quicker being coached by other club members than by driving with the AI. Club racing is not just about winning it is about enjoyment and having fun in a friendly and safe environment. I urge you to take advantage of the freemium offer, you won't regret it:)

11. Metalogic

Metalogic
    Premium Member

Just gone premium :)

• Like Like x 1