New update coming soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco Bijl

Axe Travels
Found this quote from the developers of rFactor2.
Jeremy Miller said:
Wish it was Friday but I am just planning for a test build (make sure everything fits together) for this week. It is highly unlikely we will have something on Friday... but we are working on the next update. I have no clue when it will be ready. Working on it pretty hard though.
So, it will not be this week, but the way I read it, the update is near again ;) Already curious in what will be addressed.

What are the wishes that should be in this update?

Hahahaha Christopher. Nicely said :)

I have to admit that there is a 8 page thread going on before this comment came, so I might have taken it out of proportian with putting it on here.

They have done some clean up actions on the ISI forum. So naturally, people started speculating about the update again (f.i. they un-stickied the thread for update 69). In reaction to those questions, Jeremy made this posting. So it's not just a remark he has put out,

I have to say that it would be nice to see some kind of planning from ISI. Would be nice to know what they are working on, instead of reading it afterwards in the release notes f.i.

The problem with publicising a 'road map' is that it builds expectation. Then when something goes a little off-track or isn't done when the plan says it should have been, there's a torrent of complaints from the vocal minority. It's the reason many devs never release exact info on what issues a patch will address, and won't give even a ballpark date on when it should be expected. Of course, the same vocal minority also tend to whine when devs keep quiet too, so it's a case of damned if they do, damned if they don't.

All I need to know is that they're working hard and that the sim is getting ever closer to the final release. As long as the next update takes a few steps forwards as opposed to backwards, I'll be happy.

In the rF2 forums they admitted to having unforeseen problems crop up and this has delayed the beta. Plus they didn't expect the outcry against the modid and rfmod system. I haven't heard exactly what the problem that came up that's delayed things is.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next update has no content, I expect it'll fix the existing problems (the GT cars really are not finished at all) and introduce certain missing features. Just a hunch. Although I expect that a Clio Cup mod would be easy to shove out the door and would satisfy some.

Well, I know form some projects they are working on content wise, and I also know that some is not to be released till the end of this year. There is a lot more coming. As I have read they are focussing more on the development at this moment, then on releasing new content. I do hope they finish the current content, and implement more in the game itself. To me, the content is important, but the stability of the game, and the possibiliteis in it are more important. F.i. the dedicated server needs a lot of work till its working properly. Also, there has been a huge amount of bugs found in the packaging proces. I also hope they address that in the coming update.

Well, I know form some projects they are working on content wise, and I also know that some is not to be released till the end of this year. There is a lot more coming. As I have read they are focussing more on the development at this moment, then on releasing new content. I do hope they finish the current content, and implement more in the game itself. To me, the content is important, but the stability of the game, and the possibiliteis in it are more important. F.i. the dedicated server needs a lot of work till its working properly. Also, there has been a huge amount of bugs found in the packaging proces. I also hope they address that in the coming update.
i agree marco, get the basics right, THEN work on something new

Content isnt the biggest thing imo. I mean we already see mods coming out and tracks and some are pretty good already.
So that gives room for ISI to work on performance etc without the cry from people for content. :)

One thing they should get rid off is the mod linked to tracks system imo. :)

I wish the system was more flexible. If they kept the modid system and the rfmod system, OK, but make it so a server can be put up without a rfmod too. Leagues can keep the rfmod system to save the confusion of mod versions and make sure everyone's on the same page, but also I can post a pubby with the Indy RC using 1998 Touring Cars if I want- WITHOUT a rfmod.

I just want some flexibility.

Ok, a quote from myself @ ISI about the mod system. I have already had some heavy discussions on this, and have a decent idea of what imo is needed to perfect the system in a way that all can have what they want.

I do have to say that, if this discussion becomes a discussion about the frmod system, I will break up the topic to 2 seperate threads.
ISI Forum said:
MaXyM;57051 said:
You have been asked once. So again, please let us know about those all pros.
Point is that we cannot see that. On the other hand cons makes rf2 useless online for most of us (doesn't matter that you may live with it)
Like said, from a community view, there are benefits. In terms of "club Racing", we are able to have customized rfactor UI's in the vmod. Use icons related to the communities, use custom sounds and/or other tweaks that might be of interest. In terms of League racing, the options are so much better then whatever is around now. Options for whole championships in the vmods, prepared skinpacks and all other stuff people now do with 3rd party software like SimSync. It's not ONLY bad things that come with the system. However, this is said by a Community Race Administrator, so I probably look at it in a different way then a regular racer.
MaXyM;57051 said:
We did that, reporting that the feature makes problem and cannot be accepted in that form.
Reporting something sucks and is not acceptable, is not helping out to make it work ;). At least thats not what I meant. What I mean is making suggestions. Helping out on making this work for all, while keeping the benefits the system has.
In short, there is only 1 problem (simply said). The issue is the "regular online racing". Non-community related driving, with friends or just other unknown people. If you race with a community, there is no problem as the track and car combo are predefined in an announced race evening.
MaXyM;57051 said:
What else community should do? Do you mean a person/team which will manage all released tracks and cars updating ATAC vmod any time new version of component will be released? Even so... what about some beta/rc versions released for community just for open testing. Should it be included into ATAC or there should be another mod which will join all cars with all beta tracks, oh.. and what about beta cars? how to join them with all tracks even with beta ones?
And who will download whole bunch of components (tens GB of data) to satisfy dependencies defined in this single huge vmod? Surprised? You deserve for explanation:
- you can see a server with car A and track B installed
- you have installed the same into your rf2.
- you want to join
- bam.. you cannot, car A and track B is joined with other 200 tracks and 200 cars using vmod.. even if not used on this server right now.
- race starts in 30 mins, but for sure you are not able to download 100GB or data in such short time...
I'm not talking about why anybody must be forced to download and install all available stuff if want to race only one track with one car.
It might work under one condition: any one will have installed all cars and all tracks including all existing versions. But it will not happen.
Marco Bijl said:
There is actually 1 argument in your post, I can't discuss. The "What if we want to use a different track or car combo" is absolutely true. To me, I could not care less about it, as I never do that. I drive 1 car, 1 track per session. Next day something else again, but thats totally personal offcourse. I can understand the problem you are refering to here, and I agree with that as well. Thats one of the downsides of the system.
There are offcourse the AllCarsOnAllTracks mod's, but as content will grow, they will die out as you need ALL components installed tu use those mods. Thats not desirable, and not doable.
Like said, I have to agree on you there. With the current system, that would be a problem. There are ways around that, but that needs tweaking of the system by ISI.
When I say "help ISI making this work", I mean making suggestions HOW this system CAN work for all. Well, most of us, all is undoable as it's impossible to please the whole world offcourse.
So, the actual question I would like to see addressed and answered, in a positive and constructive way, is what does ISI need to do to make this system work for both the communities, and the regular casual online racer.
F.i. what if the system was tweaked in a way that the vmod can be installed while NOT all components in the mod are installed? That would prevent the issue of downloading the Gb's in data.
Combine that with the option I gave to "push" the mod via the server side to the client, and you are back to the rf1 idea again, with all benefits for the communities included.
If you would like to have a go on a public server, you just see what track and car are used (via the info button/section I suggested f.i.), make sure you have those 2 installed (and ONLY those 2! Nothing else is needed), go to the server selection screen, have the vmod pushed over, and start driving. If you would like to change track or car, the server admin has to restart the server anyway, so a manual action is required anyway. No difference between rf1 and rf2 there. It's just that the admin needs to have his vmods sorted, and prepared.
If not all content is needed to install, and ISI fixes the Dedicated server with the opponent and car selections, the server admin can simply restart the server with the new content activated, whilst still using the same mod. No need to download Gb's of data, or at least download more then before in rF1.
There is 1 big difference here. Thats that I keep saying the system stays, but it is adjusted to fit the needs of most online racers. There is difference in that compared to stating the system is bad, and needs to be removed and go back to the old days. Progress is hard, difficult, and never comes easy. We need to help in a constructive way, instead of just complaining and saying the old days where better.

Last update on the next update ;)

Luc Van Camp;66489 said:
All you need to know about the track is that it is exciting and should provide excellent (online) racing :) . It doesn't matter which track it is and it should be a nice surprise; the excitement is all you need to look forward to :) .

Max Angelo said:
I didnt write the update is ready ... i said that the internal test of a new feature looks completed, i said that a minor issue related to the automatic update system has still to be fixed and i said that, in my opinion, the public update is getting mature for a release.

But, i wrote also i dont know when ISI wants to release it, because i have no idea about their release plans.

Said that, i agree the only question is when. :)
Max Angelo;66510 said:
Also, perhaps better to add ... if the update will contain the new historic track i dont think at all you will have it in May, because the required internal testing time.

I think the next update might be mature for a release, but without the new historic contents.

Decisions are in the hands of ISI! :)
Max Angelo said:
Well,

IF update is in May
Then no vintage stuff

Basic stuff! :)

So, it's still not sure if it will be in May, and IF it will be in may, there is no new vintage stuff in it... Basicily, I do not expect it before June. Not sure why, just a feeling I get.

I DO like it that there is a new track coming. No info on which one, but it will be coming. ISI even mentioned it on their facebook.

Since updates and content are two separate things, then I don't see why they don't just release the update as soon as it's done. Why the discussion over whether to wait for the historic content? It doesn't matter... just let us have the update and we'll be happy to wait for the content.

Since updates and content are two separate things, then I don't see why they don't just release the update as soon as it's done. Why the discussion over whether to wait for the historic content? It doesn't matter... just let us have the update and we'll be happy to wait for the content.
Thats exactly what they are doing, except for this, the update and the content is ready at about the same time ;)

It's a seperate thing for ISI. Most people work on the update, some on the content. If the update is ready and tested before the content is, it will be released seperatly. If they are done at the same time, it can be released at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 99 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 178 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.0%