New to iRacing, would like some tips.

hey guys im getting iRacing tommrow and would like some beginner tips (before i start), if it helps ive played Race 07, GTR2, Rfactor and Forza 4 and have a pc compitable wheel. ive seen some youtube videos of other players, some say smooth and take your time and some say rush. ive got may career plan almost set, im gonna go road but cant decicde between my 2 favourite american series.

any tips would be welcome

p.s would like to thank das for persuading me to buy this

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK Just got IR and love it....But I have found that in Rookie, the racing is not as it should be? I am reasonably quick setting times .400 off pole, I have found that even if I race my race and do it clean I get tagged but some numpty Im overtaking and it costs me rookie point even as its not my fault.

Question: How do you get around losing rookie points. Im going backwards from where I started.

Someone above said get out of the rookie licence quick? HOW?
I have watched lots of tuts and vids of how to go fast and steady around tracks, I love the Charlotte track and Daytona Ovals....Is there a way of just racing those without having to host races?

In answer to your question. Don't race the rookies. Start at the back and put in a ton of clean laps in the races. Your SR will shoot up if you're incident free.

I know its not what you signed up to iRacing for, but in Rookie, you experience what you are talking about, as everyone seems to be completely devoid of any racing nous.You end up getting hit and shunted and your SR takes bug hits through no fault of your own. Rookie races just seem to be notoriously bad. It generally improves once you get rid of the red stripe, lol.

You can run any tracks you have in TEST mode, otherwise to run offical series at these tracks you would need the appropriate license level otherwise you can run races in hosted (but there is no loss/gain for SR in hosted sessions).

;)

Pitlane starts might be good. I do advise starting on the grid and just taking it easy. People that start from the pits don't learn to start on the grid. You need to train your incident avoidance skills so starting from the grid works well.

Note that your SR goes up as you complete corners without incidents. Even with damage, a little repair and some slow laps might boost your SR after all. SR in Rookie class is like hitting the jackpot. Big points for little effort. You can gain, even if your race has gone bad.

Or take pole and leave the field ;)
Usually the 1-2-3-4 guys are good racers. It´s the lappers that are the tricky bit.

ill second that statement.
was in a skippy race last night( i know not quite a rookie car but it is if you look at it as the open wheel rookie car ;) ) at Mid-Ohio and led the race from pole until 3(maybe 4) laps from the end when i came across a back marker who didnt have a clue what he was doing.

was closing on him fast down the main straight and was trying to work out where i was going to pass him when he slowed right down and stopped just short of the apex of turn 4 causing me to unbalance my car trying to adjusting my position and spin out. this allowed 2nd place to catch me up and was fighting him off ( had about 1.5 sec gap) when i started catching the back marker again in the same place and was 2secs behind him .

this time he kept going but decided to slow right down at turn 8( i think it is ) in the middle of the track which is just after a blind crest, this resulted im me hitting him right up the rear and allowing 2nd place to get through (think he must have got a yellow warning as he was right out of the throttle and managed to crawl past on the inside). the 2nd place guy was then very sporting and gave me back 1st place a couple of corners later alowing me to do the last lap and take the win.

Back to the topic of how to get out of rookie class, the tip i would give is dont fight with anyone, start on the grid but if anyone looks as if they are trying to get past in the first corners let them. just concentrate on keeping it clean and tidy. if you have a car behind be aware of them and if you think they are going to try a move get out of the way and let them past( it might hurt your pride but will save a crash). with this tecnique you should manage to finnish about mid field not loosing to many iracing points(you could well gain some) and more importantly keeping you incidents low so as to keep your safty rating improving. one last tip never quit out if you have to pit because of an acident get back to the pits and repair , the more laps you can run the less damage will be done to your safty rating

...dont fight with anyone, start on the grid but if anyone looks as if they are trying to get past in the first corners let them. just concentrate on keeping it clean and tidy. if you have a car behind be aware of them and if you think they are going to try a move get out of the way and let them past( it might hurt your pride but will save a crash).
This is the essential part. Just leave 'em all be and get your incident-free laps in completely ignorant of your position or iRating (which doesn't show to Rookie class drivers anyway).

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 349 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%