New Thrustmaster T500RS GT5 Wheel!

Brian Clancy

Premium
The first look at Thrustmasters new offical Gran Turismo 5 wheel!

More info to follow and I hope at some point a review! Thanks must go to Johan Top for the original post in the SRH Forum!
*1080º
*About 500€ official price (not confirmed)
*30cm diameter
*7kg weight
*Industrial FFB (Par 150 mNm, 3000 rpm, 65 W, 52mm)

TM5.jpg

TMP.jpg

T500.jpg

Offcourse some want a good wheel. But not all console racers are going for quality.
Just compare the stats of units sold of the 360 wheel since the release of Forza 3 and units sold and ordered of the Fanatec wheel.
And with this PS3 wheel and his price it will even suffer more. Because you also can use a DFGT, G25 or a G27 on it. With the DFGT and G25 even under the 100 bucks. :)

Upvote 0
Laurent Cortier;683994 said:
???

The Fanatec wheel for the 360 was a huge success : 10.000 units limited edition, completely outsold in a few months. So much so that Fanatec has issued a new version of it : PWGT2, due out in a few days/weeks.

It's true that us PC racers like to spend on equipment though, but more peripheral : cockpits, button panels, rev counters, handbrakes, and for the real ones, a motion sim ;)
That doesn't mean a console racer doesn't want a good wheel, and many sim racers own both a console and a PC.

I wouldn't count it out of the equation at some point. They all use USB interfaces so its not an impossibility.

If I was going to buy a wheel for the PS3 alone I think it would have to be the DFGT for me. Ok it has no clutch but that aside its a lot of bang for the buck.

Upvote 0
Ivo Simons;682285 said:
Nah dont think so. Console racers are totally different. We simracers spend our money on equipment. Console people spend there money on other games.
If they are aiming for a wheel. They go for a DFGT or a cheap G25. The Fanatec wheel for the 360 was also not a success. If people went for a wheel they went for the MS 360 wheel. Even how crap it was.

I think you are wrong here ! The Fanatec wheel was a limited edition and it Sold out ! I had to buy the MS 360 wheel because there was no other decent alternative. I am now looking at purchasing the Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2 wheel for xbox !

Upvote 0
I gotta go with Ivo on this one. You guys that would buy this for console use are the exception to the rule. I think if you compare the total number of GT5/Forza3 copies sold and compare that to the number of wheels sold(any that would work for the PS3), you would find that the percentage of "wheel drivers" is much lower on consoles when compared to PC's.

Upvote 0
Reuben Clemons;684613 said:
I gotta go with Ivo on this one. You guys that would buy this for console use are the exception to the rule. I think if you compare the total number of GT5/Forza3 copies sold and compare that to the number of wheels sold(any that would work for the PS3), you would find that the percentage of "wheel drivers" is much lower on consoles when compared to PC's.

It's certainly an exception to the rule (when console gamers spend money on steering wheel) but if once in awhile there are those like Fanatec with the PWTS and now Thrustmaster who prepare to take their chances.

Besides, the PS3 unlike the 360 will run almost all PC wheel and in all cases vice versa and because of that the investment (as long as Thrustmaster is keened on quality) can be minimal. And I'm sure there will be a "PC" version- meaning the buttons on the wheel may not have PS3 symbols. And that definitely lines up quite nicely with Thrustmaster recent re-introduction back to higher end product with their HOTAS WARTHOG™ (Joystick/Throttle):

technology_174a_001t.jpg

Upvote 0
Anyone seen one in the flesh yet? Are they still using cheap plastic and making poor solder connections? Are they also using STmicroelectronics for the 8bit interface? Are they also trying to make 300% profit on the unit?

Pah... No thanks, I'm not falling for their BS again lol.

Upvote 0
Agreed, that rubberized grip might serve any owner well for a long time, but it does nothing in terms of giving the owner the feeling of actually driving a Ferrari tbh. The original has alcantra, at that price why couldn't Thrustmaster throw some alcantra on it? :(

Original:
ferrari-458-challenge-steering-wheel.jpg

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.3%
  • < 4 years