New rating system in place

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
We have upgraded the "like system" on RD and from now on you'll be able to rate forum posts with a wide range of options.
-2gp.gif

Besides the rating we have included a little bonus for premium members. Hope you'll enjoy this improvement.

I don't need to make you look funny, Hampus. You are pretty good at doing that yourself. But with that being said I'll back out of this thread I'll lean back and enjoy the show. :)

Just keep one thing in mind: you have no say in all this and this will never change. So feel free to nerd rage as much as you want, it doesn't affect such decisions. :)

And again the class of a staff member is shown right before our eyes.
If it changes or not we will see, i would not be so certain of your claim as there´s proof prior to this that contradict your view.

And if it stays it will most certainly be because of me rather then logical and rational thinking.
The fact that you even agree to my statement (to an extent) is also an interesting thing especially when you consider it nerd rage which would make you agree to this "nerd rage".

You hate me so much that it clouds your judgement.
And having a super moderator with a clouded judgement is.......yes it´s bad.

Last edited:
I think it's an interesting idea, but it is too complicated to use. Winner, creative etc. What does 'Old' even mean for posts?

The concept is alright but I personally got used to a simpler system in place ;)

A great example is one of my posts here,

• clear.png
    Dumb x 3
  • clear.png
    Agree x 1
  • clear.png
    Disagree x 1
  • clear.png
    Optimistic x 1
How is this going to benefit anyone other then look nice?
What am i supposed to take from this? That 3 people think the post is dumb, one agrees, one disagrees and one thinks it´s optimistic.

It´s completely and utterly useless.

Last edited:
I think it's an interesting idea, but it is too complicated to use. Winner, creative etc. What does 'Old' even mean for posts?
To indicate something like "old news" perhaps.

Too many options for me as well. I'll probably simply stick to using like/dislike, but don't mind others having options if they want to use them.

I can also play the dumb game.
Edit: and with Senad giving a "winner" symbol to the above statement you have 2 members and 2 staff members agreeing about the negativity of the system.
Looks like you misinterpreted the winner I awarded you :D

NB, not a staff member.

Hi!

Please remove that Rating System since it's online for only some hours and already abused! Or at least look for a solution that it's not happening anymore!

One guy (Majuh) negatively rated a post from me because of a little spelling mistake. Which is really nonsense imo. See http://www.racedepartment.com/forum...t-news-discussion.44395/page-157#post-1511179

Sorry that I am from Germany and that English is not my first language. I really feel heavily insulted to get a negative critic because of a spelling mistake. It doesn't help at all the discussions going on and is only spreading bad temper.

Seriously we don't need grammar Nazis here. If nothing will happen I will stop posting here since it's not nice to be afraid of posting because of a spelling/grammar/whatever mistake.

Looks like you misinterpreted the winner I awarded you :D
Maybe we should have an irony button too, one for every single emotion ever conceived by a human perhaps?
then we can just remove the reply button as well as it would be rendered useless.

Or we can keep the like, something that was actually never broken.
If i like a post it can be for many reasons, "informative" included.

System is great too, I´m the fourth most liked person on RD. Yet i´m the most disliked person, with none other then the nicest guy on the forum, Mr. Bram himself right behind.

Yea system works fine..

Last edited:
Reading this thread is hard. I now have an urge to abuse the system just a little bit in this thread only; I must get this off my chest and then I can go back to normal.
Sorry.

*Edit
Mkay, I am feeling better now.

I think that in the big picture the system will only be abused by very very few people. I am talking one in every .. I do not know how many hundred. But we have to wait and see.

To naysayers, consider this: Next time the forum software is updated this specific thing might break but the staff will be too busy with other new toys and nobody will mind the loss because they are too distracted with other shiny things and racing.. :thumbsup:

TL : DR
We will have our fun and then move on to something new.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Well, according to the statistics since there can only be a certain number of people abusing, if I abuse the system responsibly in a secluded area there are fewer people left to abuse it irresponsibly! This keeps the rest of the forum under control and a fun place for our fellow RD members to be.

And about including Tom&Bram. I mean, I cannot single just you out; that would be mean and I am not here to bully you because that would be wrong. I have to be at least somewhat inclusive.

Anyway, back to racing! :thumbsup:

Actually I am not racing lately. I have my Saitek X52 setup and have been poking around in DCS P-51D Mustang, War Thunder, and to a lesser extent in some other DCS titles. But once I get my fill I will toss the wheel back on my desk and do some more racing. :cool:

Well, according to the statistics since there can only be a certain number of people abusing, if I abuse the system responsibly in a secluded area there are fewer people left to abuse it irresponsibly! This keeps the rest of the forum under control and a fun place for our fellow RD members to be.

And about including Tom&Bram. I mean, I cannot single just you out; that would be mean and I am not here to bully you because that would be wrong. I have to be at least somewhat inclusive.
Lies, Damn lies, and Statistics..

And i think you missunderstand statistics completely.
The statistics do not keep track of you and through some telekinesis you stop other people from abusing it.
You just ADD to it Einstein.

You might as well have said that you went out and shot people on the sole reason that now serial killers won´t murder them.

Edit: no Tom you are dumb.

Last edited:
There's a thread about this already, so I'll lock this one. :)

However, I'd like to give you a response so that you don't have to make the same post again. See, I don't see how someone telling you about your bad grammar / orthography is offensive. If it's bad, it's bad - plain and simple.

If someone pointing that out really and honestly offends you that much you can still work on your language skills, so that people don't have something to complain about in the first place.

But that's merely what I did, back in school. In my eyes that seemed to be the easiest solution. Doesn't necessarily have to work for you but I'd suggest looking into it if it bothers you that much. :)

Tom from Munich

I like the new rating system but I agree that some people may be abusing it - we do want a 'positive' community, don't we?

Hence, I would propose removing the 'bad spelling' and 'dumb' options. All of the others (like, dislike, agree, disagree, funny, winner, informative, friendly, useful, optimistic, creative and old) are either positive or couldn't really be considered hurtful in anyway. However, I think that 'dumb' is simply, well, a 'dumb' option and bad spelling I agree it is not a very good one to have. This community is a multicultural one and many people here cannot speak english very well, let alone have it as their first language. Personally, I am Australian so English is my first language and I almost always have correct or very good grammar and spelling because it comes naturally to me. However, I can understand that many people do not have it as easy as I do on the sim racing forums, many of which are in English. If I tried posting in Chinese, a language I'm learning, then I'd certainly get a 'bad spelling' mark on my post (well, you can't really 'spell' chinese wrong, but you know what I mean).

Well I am English and I can't spell for the sake of me. And I don't claim to.
If somebody want to pick my spelling to bit's let them. I don't really care.
It might even make me check my post more thoroughly before I hit post.

We all can make mistake with grammar even the guys who claim to be good at it. :whistling:

Well I am English and I can't spell for the sake of me. And I don't claim to.
If somebody want to pick my spelling to bit's let them. I don't really care.
It might even make me check my post more thoroughly before I hit post.

We all can make mistake with grammar even the guys who claim to be good at it. :whistling:

I'm not claiming to be perfect - I'm not. I make mistakes, we all do (as you said). Thus my point is that I think that the 'bad spelling' rating is unfair because not even fluent speakers of English can be expected to get it right every time.

EDIT: Made some typos. There you go.

Since my thread got closed and I have no chance to respond, I do it here.

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum...em-in-place-grammar-nazis-on-their-way.74072/

To be honest I really have no idea why on earth you RD stuff guys got the idea that guys can rate posts negative. We are still in the internet and it will be abused for sure. See some posts above me what Ian has done. It's just offending to rate every post dumb and does it help us in ANY way? No.

Please remove negative ratings. When someone doesn't agree with your post he still can reply and point out what he thinks. It adds to the discussion and isn't abusive like now.

And @Tom Endres Is it hard to accept that I feel offended when someone is nitpicking every little error you make? But as I see the staff doesn't care about it (at least you) so I should think about to leave RD...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 358 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 252 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%