New Qualifying Rules

Ι bet it won't happen. Thats what the strategy group always does. They announce changes only for things to change prior to season and be kept like they previously were.

My favorite setup:
Friday: Practice
Saturday: Qualifying 1 hour long, 12 laps per driver
Sunday: Race

But ya, i'm on the best way of becoming a grumpy old man repeating "when i was younger everything was better" over and over again.

Fun fact: I remember the great racing while Senna was still with us, but i can't remember the 2 qualifying sessions, and overall i don't see any advantage in splitting a qualifiying session.

That won't happen.

There are two possible situations:
1 - Top teams set a good time and let the rest of the field waste their compounds, so it will be even worse for the others.
2 - The rest of the field decides not to participate to this dangerous game, and just ignores the changes , set a laptime nd hope for the best.

That won't happen.

There are two possible situations:
1 - Top teams set a good time and let the rest of the field waste their compounds, so it will be even worse for the others.
2 - The rest of the field decides not to participate to this dangerous game, and just ignores the changes , set a laptime nd hope for the best.
I think that the cars have to be on track for the whole session

yes, one cannot help feel that all this tinkering simply exists because the basic idea is flawed: if you still have individual firms pouring unlimited amounts of money into the venture, the cars will by definition be anything but equally competitive, no amount of tinkering will make them be so. to wit: last season we had a number of races where the result sheet showed the two cars belonging to one manufacturer side by side through most of the grid. so even if the lineup at start is maybe a bit more mixed, after 80 laps the technology which allows the pitcrew to influence the race a lot and the inbred discrepancy between cars as caused by different budgets will play out so that each car / driver combination reaches between 99 and 100% of their possible result, dito: first and second: one manufacturer, third and fourth: second manufacturer, fifth and sixth: third manufacturer, a.s.o.
the only solution i can think of: limit budgets severely to even out the playing field and forbid any sort of tele-communication between pits and driver, just the old board and naught else.

I think that the cars have to be on track for the whole session
I doubt it, that cannot be enforced if you allow tire changes. Everybody would start developing small "technical issues" to stay in boxes as needed. And the fastest car staying on track is actually an obstacle for the rest (I bet he would not be pushing once the time is in).

It's anyway a mess, I guess we will see something else next year after everybody discovers what a non-sense is this.

My favorite setup:
Friday: Practice
Saturday: Qualifying 1 hour long, 12 laps per driver
Sunday: Race

But ya, i'm on the best way of becoming a grumpy old man repeating "when i was younger everything was better" over and over again.

Fun fact: I remember the great racing while Senna was still with us, but i can't remember the 2 qualifying sessions, and overall i don't see any advantage in splitting a qualifiying session.

I'm quite definitely a brash youngster who shouts something needlessly complicated like "Your pre-concieved notions of what is better are entirely due to anecdotes in your youth and not evidence of the system itself being better, damn grumpy old men running the world and having no regard for future generations!" buuuttttt...

... I still agree with you. I'm not sure why the F1 branch keeps trying to implement these new systems in an attempt to equalize the field whilst skipping over the well tested systems such as weigth penalties like those used in the FIA GT of old, the WTCC and the BTCC.

It was not broken...so there really was no need to 'fix' it.
F1 keeps shooting themselves in the foot with these 'hail Mary' passes.
The 'powers' running the show seem so far removed from their viewing public, that they don't care to ask what is driving them away.
A simple solution to keeping more teams on circuit at any given time would be to give them an additional 'free' set of tires...which would then be handed back if not used.
Most teams would 'jump' on the opportunity to get mileage and additional data during qualifying runs.
There would be more cars on track and longer running for the spectators, so ultimately attendance would go up.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back