New points system for 2010?

Dave Stephenson

RaceDepartment Technical Administrator
Staff
Premium
I'm not sure I'd risk it for 5 if it means I might lose 20. I'd risk it to see Bernie shot for signing with Silverstone for 17 years.

Any chance of moving on the donnington lease as a going concern is right out of the window.

I'm for it. More difference between 1st and 2nd. 2 points just wasn't enough. Also more fight on track as now also no. 10 can have points.. usually those drivers drove for nothing.

I'm with you on your liking of the new system Mark but there will always be a mathematical probability that the title can be won by trailing home in 5th place. Especially if like last year someone wins lots of races back to back early on and then several different drivers get wins throughout the rest of the season.

S

Skippic

• Skippic

All happy!

Yeah, they created this new "radical" scoring system for people like you.

Let's see what the difference is to the previous system:

scoring.jpg

Wow! Now that's something so radical it will completely change this sport. Being first instead of second has been moved back by 0.1%. LOL

Dave Stephenson

RaceDepartment Technical Administrator
Staff
Premium
There is exactly my thoughts show with hard fact I love it. It still wont be worth risking life and limb for the 5 points as on another day the you wil be the opposite way around and everything will level out.

S

Skippic

• Skippic

Better solution

The only way one should take the risk from a mathematical point of view is if the potential outcome would outweigh the risk

In a formula:
potential score * probability of success >= original score

10 points * X >= 8 points

the probability of overtaking without suffering damage has to be at least 80%

If we change the scoring from what it was or what it will be (no real difference) to:
or in other words one gets twice as many points for overtaking the guy in front of him as he would staying in his place

the probability of overtaking without suffering damage has to be at least 50%

So they could take more risks (we know overtaking in todays races poses almost no health risk) and deliver more fun for the spectators.

One aspect that needs to be taken into consideration is that also the defending driver would take more risks and therefore diminish the probability of the attackers success.

But we don't really care that much about who takes the points (well we do) but we also would like to see more action and that would certainly be the result.

The only purpose for this new 25,20,15... scoring system is a differentiator at the back of the grid.

The 2x more points for each place is not the same as Mosley's medal proposal since in this case 2 silver medals would equal 1 gold.

God I hate Mosley!

David Garcia

Premium
I don´t know if it is better or worse, but I am against the idea of changing the important things in the soprt. Things that will make the historical data not important anymore.

@David: But does anyone really care about how many points drivers/teams have scored over the years as the system has changed so many times by now? At least that is my opinion.

What I do not like about this new system is that two 2nd places is worth as much as a win and a 3rd. Same as in the "10-8-6" system. If I was forced to change the current system to something like the new one I would have made it 25-16-12 or even better, use the old CART system of 20-16-14-12-10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1.

I grabbed this from another forum that someone made of past F1 seasons using the new 2010 points system.

:
Button - 243pts
Vettel - 203pts
Barrichello - 187pts
Webber - 178pts

Hamilton - 240pts
Massa - 239pts
Raikkonen - 188pts
Kubica - 178pts

Raikkonen - 271pts
Hamilton - 270pts
Alonso - 268pts