New PC, Strange FPS.

Hello Guys,

Ive been out of AC for a long while (Last April) Due to us having twins (Now one!) so ive built a new PC.

Im getting around 180-200FPS with no other cars on the track, but as soon as i add AI or join an MP server my frames drop right down to as low as 30, should there be such a drop?

Firstly congrats hehe and about AC,well with your configuration it should work fine...From 180 to 30 that is a drastically drop and its not normal unless you have smoke at maximum and reflections to high aswell.
I`ve done a search on that CPU and found this.
  • PROS
  • Offers the best integrated GPU performance on any platform to date. Supports AMD's Mantle API, and heterogeneous system architecture (HSA).Better CPU efficiency than previous AMD APUs.

• CONS
  • Total CPU performance isn't dramatically better than the chip it replaces. Intel cores still offer better CPU performance for the money.

• BOTTOM LINE
  • The AMD A10-7850 APU's great graphics performance and new computer features are partially undercut by the CPU performance.

Firstly congrats hehe and about AC,well with your configuration it should work fine...From 180 to 30 that is a drastically drop and its not normal unless you have smoke at maximum and reflections to high aswell.
I`ve done a search on that CPU and found this.
  • PROS
  • Offers the best integrated GPU performance on any platform to date. Supports AMD's Mantle API, and heterogeneous system architecture (HSA).Better CPU efficiency than previous AMD APUs.

• CONS
  • Total CPU performance isn't dramatically better than the chip it replaces. Intel cores still offer better CPU performance for the money.

• BOTTOM LINE
  • The AMD A10-7850 APU's great graphics performance and new computer features are partially undercut by the CPU performance.

Im beginning to think that the CPU is just poor to be honest, I got it very cheap (£65) so its not a problem, will just use in another small machine, think i'll have to go back to Intel.

Ive ran tests this morn and on the line at Monza with these settings -

Fullscreen | AF 8x | AA 4x | FXAA OFF | Shadows High | PP MED | World Detail HIGH | Motion Blur OFF | RQ LOW | RRF LOW

I get 180fps, add in 8 AI and it drops to 60fps, go for full grid and its 30fps and 99% Occupancy warning, i think the CPU is just terrible to be honest, no way should be getting these sorts of frame drops. Im very impressed with the 290X though.

yes, cpu bottleneck it appears. although, it's surprising that the amd chip is performing that badly; could be another issue somewhere.
AI is cpu intensive - should be improved for 64-bit cpu when the game engine switched to 64-bit sometime in the future.
the graphics will easily cope with AC at any detail level.

Yeah sounds about right..CPU issue
It's definitely not a cpu issue as I use an A8-3870k which is a **** ton worse than an A10-7850k & I have no issue with the cpu at all. AC uses just over 60% of it.

Editing to clarify that the usage is in Multiplayer with around 15 or so people.

2nd edit, Tried a career mode race, averaged 80ish fps at Vallelunga w the Abarth 500. All settings max except AA (x4) but x4 sparse supersampling is on in nvidia inspector. I usually don't use the post processing effect but I did in the video below.

Apologies for this post but I feel as though APU's get really bad rep when they're not too bad at all :D

(I would have an I5 anyday over an APU though haha)

Last edited:
What frames are you getting and settings please Danny?

Edited my post Simon.

I will edit my settings to reflect yours then I will post the results :)

Currently uploading video (Action! locked it at 60fps)

Attachments

• 2015-04-29_00001.jpg
    2015-04-29_00001.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 198
  • 2015-04-29_00002.jpg
    2015-04-29_00002.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 2015-04-29_00003.jpg
    2015-04-29_00003.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Check the cpu temperature in operation - it could have a problem such as overheating which would slow it down drastically (i.e. throttling & creating the "bottleneck"). The heatsink might not have been fitted correctly / and/or the thermal paste hasn't been applied right.

Check the cpu temperature in operation - it could have a problem such as overheating which would slow it down drastically (i.e. throttling & creating the "bottleneck"). The heatsink might not have been fitted correctly / and/or the thermal paste hasn't been applied right.

I'm running an NZXT KRAKEN X41, CAM software reports up to 90 degree, BUT and its a big one, no one seems to be able to read correct temps except AMD overdrive and bios, AOD reports a thermal margin of 46 degrees and motherboard never above 45.

Danny than you very much matey, will look later when not on phone.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 302 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 211 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 152 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.6%