• You don't get fast in order to take part in club races, you take part in club races to get fast!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. #GiveAwayFriday. Win a copy of F1 2017 - The Game. Click here to join.

new patch

Discussion in 'DiRT 4' started by Eckhart von Glan, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Eckhart von Glan

Eckhart von Glan

Ratings:
    +691
    new patch being deployed atm, they say it's for machines with more than eight cores. didn't even know they existed, lol. no gaming tonight then, download does not start / work for me.

2. Ross Garland

Ross Garland
    A legend in my own mind... Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +1,960
    I guess demand must have been huge due to all the people with eight core PCs out there, so thank goodness they sorted it out before they worried about anything else. :whistling:

• Haha Haha x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Majuh

Majuh

Ratings:
    +106
    You need around 35GB of free space to install the patch, because the game basically unpacks all game data and then packs it again...

4. Ross Garland

Ross Garland
    A legend in my own mind... Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +1,960
    Yeah, it seems to do this for every patch so far. 30 second download, 10+ minute install time on a regular HDD. Very inefficient way of doing things. :O_o:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Eckhart von Glan

Eckhart von Glan

Ratings:
    +691
    aha, that's why it fiddles around on the disc for ages, looking for space to unload the whole batch. Ooops, only have 20 GB available atm. So this means I have to shift stuff around for the sake of a batch I don't need in the first place, cmon!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  6. robnitro

robnitro

Ratings:
    +30
    If you have windows 10 try compressing other games. Dirt doesn't compress well.

Cmd.exe
    Cd to the folder you want to compress
    Run this command at the prompt at the folder you're at:
    Compact /c /s /i /f /a /exe:xpress16k
    My assetto folder cut to half! No difference in load times

7. Eckhart von Glan

Eckhart von Glan

Ratings:
    +691
    i only have three games installed, it's family photographs and music that's eating my space, plus the harddrive wasn't the biggest one in the first place. during the next rainy afternoon i will get an old unused harddrive (i always save those when i discard a pc), plug it in, wipe it clean and put all my music on it, that should do the trick.

the longer i think about it, the angrier i get: shouldn't they call it "reinstall" rather than "patch"? iRacing patches take about 3 mins every couple of weeks, can't be so difficult, can it? But then again, I do not know the first thing about coding and these guys are called codeMASTERS, so they should know what they do, shouldn't they?

• Haha Haha x 1
  8. robnitro

robnitro

Ratings:
    +30
    With dirt rally, they had individual files, but for this they did the annoying thing that a lot of games started to do (due to console ports) with a single archive format... it doesn't really save any space either, it's just conformity...

9. chipo64

chipo64
    - crapandcrop - Premium

Ratings:
    +0
    This monday new patch manages my 8 cores. Cool!
    Just a detail: I just have to manage with foreign languages because Dirt 4 speaks German to me instead of French! :( Cool...

• Haha Haha x 1
  10. Majuh

Majuh

Ratings:
    +106
    You can change your game language in the Steam settings of the game.

• Like Like x 1
  11. chipo64

chipo64
    - crapandcrop - Premium

Ratings:
    +0
    Yop! Thank you Majuh. I will take a look at that, we never know... But it only speaks in German during rallycross races, the other parts of the game are in the good (French) language ;)

12. Ricky78

Ricky78

Ratings:
    +76
    Check the spoken language of your rallycross spotter in My Team -> Staff section, it's not related to the game language.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Eckhart von Glan

Eckhart von Glan

Ratings:
    +691
    after outsorcing the family videos to an old harddrive (and they just about fit on it, 2gb left, phew ...), downloading a partition programme to link the newly empty space on my data partition to my c: partition and cleaning all my harddrive, i am finally back in the game. all this for a patch i never needed in the first place, lol.