• "Mwoah" - Kimi Räikkönen
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

New Need for Speed Payback Trailer Revealed

Discussion in 'Other Racing Games' started by Paul Jeffrey, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +11,914
    Need for Speed Payback Trailer.jpg
    Electronic Arts have released a new Need for Speed Payback trailer at Gamescom, revealing more footage of this polished looking arcade street racing title.

Scheduled to release in just under three months time across both console and PC, Need for Speed Payback will represent the very latest entry into the hugely popular and long running driving / racing game franchise.

Containing the usual mix of exotic cars, seemingly endless tuning options and the now expected large scale police chases and general chaos, Payback looks set to be a return to the routes of a title that has seemingly shifted focus between each release of the series.

Now benefitting from what the developers claim to be an all new and improved police AI, the player should find a more dynamic and challenging battle with law enforcement as they look to navigate their way around Fortune Valley. The local police will come in a number of different guises within the game, and should "work together as a unit, utilising manoeuvres as a group and adapting their behaviour based on your speed", providing a much more realistic and challenging set of behaviours than seen in previous Need for Speed games.

As always the title appears to be presented slickly with high level graphics, immersing players in the fictional world of the three playable characters. Former street racing champion Tyler Morgan (The Racer), Mac (The Showman) and Jess (The Wheelman) will be playable within the game story as they attempt to navigate the fictional streets of Fortune Valley.

Thanks to the current Gamescom event in Germany, Ghost Games and EA have released a brand new trailer featuring plenty of stylised footage from the title, which can be viewed below:

Payback will feature five type of car classes as standard, broken down into the game staple of 'Race' where players will take to the streets in head to head competition against other drivers and rivals within the game world. 'Off road' will take the player onto a variety of surfaces from dirt and sand around twisting roads and killer jumps, giving both car and driver a different visual and driving feel to the main world environment. 'Drag' will be focused around the ability to accelerate and achieve high speeds in the quickest way possible, pushing car, player and tuning options to the edge of performance as you race against rivals and the stop watch for victory and the credits those wins are rewarded with. "Drift" will be for specially designed cars to perform wild drifting manoeuvres around the standard game map and special drift locations. The 'Runner' class looks set to be a special kind of car to be used within certain jobs in the game story mode. Featuring little styling differences to the usual car categories, these vehicles will be required to help the player progress the story script and earn the right to move further into the virtual world of Need for Speed Payback.

Need for Speed Payback will be released on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC November 10th 2017.

Need for Speed Payback Trailer 2.jpg
    Need for Speed Payback Trailer 3.jpg Need for Speed Payback Trailer 4.jpg

For more news on this and other games involving two and four wheels, check out the Other Racing Games sub forum here at RaceDepartment. Drop in, have a browse and leave a comment today?

What are your impressions from the footage of Need for Speed Payback revealed so far? Do you like the look of the new game? Would you consider purchasing Payback once it releases later in the year? Let us know in the comments section below!

2. snyperal

snyperal

Ratings:
    +68
    Has it got any Porsche?

3. danracer2000

danracer2000
    Premium

Ratings:
    +35
    for sure they will have an incredible ARCADISH porsche :DDD

• Haha Haha x 1
  4. Leonardo Chaves

Leonardo Chaves

Ratings:
    +211
    There's a Panamera on the opening shot, so no Porsches confirmed.

It would've been kind of ironic if the current situation was everyone but EA has Porsche lol.

• Haha Haha x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pywackett-Barchetta

Pywackett-Barchetta

Ratings:
    +66
    The actual animation looks pretty neat and classic NFS:MW styled, but the incessant chatter over the whole thing tells me they're going all-in to an unbearable degree with the forced story. Shame.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. darkelf1

darkelf1

Ratings:
    +45
    Really love underground series....:D

• Haha Haha x 1
  7. @apocapollo

@apocapollo

Ratings:
    +72
    I think maybe I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed NFS 2016. A lot of people dismissed it for the usual reasons, but it was the most enjoyable drifting physics that I had experienced. The open-world was more interesting than any of the other open-worlds from the franchise's past decade. And the mixed-reality cutscenes where they superimposed a live rendering of the players' customized car into a full motion video of real life actors in a real life scene was incredibly clever. And there was lots of post-release free DLC.

These games are supposed to make the player feel like a badass, and NFS16 did that well. Hopefully Ghost Games can carry that momentum into NFS:p.

Of course it helps that the game and Frostbite engine are absolutely gorgeous.
    [​IMG]

8. Azure Flare

Azure Flare
    Forever a backmarker Premium

Ratings:
    +457
    Actually, that would be hilarious.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Haha Haha x 1
  9. Abe Dekok

Abe Dekok

Ratings:
    +5
    Damn pretty game graphics wise, but the story mode and flibby wibby physics is kinda unsettling for me

• Like Like x 1
  10. M-Bimmer

M-Bimmer
    Premium

Ratings:
    +84
    Same here. Really enjoyed NFS 2015. Unfortunately, the game was not that long so upgrading and customisation killed and consumed massive time along with snaping shots all over ventura bay :roflmao:.

Still Will wait for a good offer before pulling the trigger on Payback...

[​IMG]Back_to_Ventura_Bay by M-Bimmer, on Flickr

[​IMG]#NeedForSpeed #VenturaBay #SnapShotPro #GhostGames #EA by M-Bimmer, on Flickr

11. danracer2000

danracer2000
    Premium

Ratings:
    +35
    may be forza horizon series are far better than NFS last ones?

12. ozm8ey

ozm8ey
    Premium

Ratings:
    +9
    once you play forza horizon 3, the crew, etc its impossible to go back to nfs

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Matthew Allington

Matthew Allington

Ratings:
    +146
    If there's one thing I can give credit to NFS for these days it's that the graphics are outstanding and demolish every sim title out there in that regard.

But really, I could'nt care less about NFS :p

• Haha Haha x 1
  14. Hash_V8

Hash_V8

Ratings:
    +56
    Crap....Cops....
    My butthole is puckering from cringe already, I get the cheese for cheese sake, but seriously, even with that in mind it is still a hard swallow, I dont even think they are being ironic with it.

15. SamuelSouza

SamuelSouza

Ratings:
    +1
    lol at the cop van destroying all the cop cars...

16. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek

Ratings:
    +1,117
    latest NFS was fine, so I don't see reason why not to get this one, if the car list will be interesting ( nice to see more normal cars like 3 series BMW sedan..etc)

17. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT

Ratings:
    +28
    True, may be they'll add Hot Pursuit Expansion. That would be quite awesome.
    NFS2016, couldn't even get to proper races because of the stupid unskippable "Dude, bro" cutcscenes.(barf).
    Rivals was not bad, but really hard to get back to after FH3. Hot Pursuit 2010 is the best.

• Love Love x 1
  18. DriftMachine

DriftMachine

Ratings:
    +9
    Great just what we need. Another controller game. How about supporting a true sim rig.

• Haha Haha x 2
  19. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek

Ratings:
    +1,117
    you have plenty other games in that department
    something like this isn't imo suitable for more serious sim

• Like Like x 1
    • Angry Angry x 1
  20. @apocapollo

@apocapollo

Ratings:
    +72
    Assetto Corsa, Project CARS, rFactor, iRacing, Automobilista, RaceRoom, DiRT, F1, etc

Sim racers have more options than ever and you still complain that other games are being made for other types of people.

I just think it's funny how some people think that things they don't like have no right to exist.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Angry Angry x 1