• You don't get fast in order to take part in club races, you take part in club races to get fast!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Featured New NASCAR Heat 2 Dev Diary Details Rivalries and Career Mode Features

Discussion in 'NASCAR Heat 2' started by Paul Jeffrey, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +11,028
    NASCAR Heat 2 Rivalries.jpg
    The latest 'Developer Diary' video from 704Games has given us some insight into the returning 'rivalries' and career mode features coming to NASCAR Heat 2 this fall.

Looking to take another step up in engagement and feature depth since taking over the official NASCAR licence back at the beginning of last year, 704 and Monster Games have revealed an old NASCAR game favourite will be making a return to the series later this year, with driver rivalries finding its way into the title in a bid to add more life and character into the ever expanding offline career mode of the game.

Revealed as part of a short development diary video release, 704Games have come through with some details about how the new offline elements of the official NASCAR videogame will look come release day in September.

For those of you not able to watch the video right now (looking at you people who should be working and not cruising the internet), Gameinformer have produced a very useful written summary from the diary release, which can be seen in full below:
    • The career mode starts in the truck series. As you go through your initial season you'll get Hot Seat Race offers in the next series. Meet the criteria in these and you could get an offer to jump up to Xfinity at the end of the year. When you accept a contract with a team, you take over one of their cars and replace that driver. Overall, there are no driver retirements, and the other drivers will stay in their series and do not migrate up with you.
    • You can race in multiple series at once, and even do a multi-series race weekend if the schedule aligns.
    • You can stay in the same series if you want.
    • Brad Keselowski stopped by the Monster Games office and helped the team with one big aspect of NASCAR Heat 2: Driver rivalries and friendships. Both are naturally formed by how you treat drivers on the track.
    • The rivalry system has a ramp-up period so you're not going to see a driver go crazy if you have one run in. Tempers will boil over, however, the more you go at it. Driver relationships cool off somewhat between seasons so rivalries and bad feelings between drivers are not permanent. The studio says it wants to also make it so large wrecks at a plate track, for instance, don't make you a bunch of enemies just because you got caught up in The Big One.
    • You also get driver feedback from Keselowski and others via a message system, both as a way to help you and give some driver flavor to the mode. Messages about your rivalry status with a particular driver pop up after races.
    • Monster is currently working on other ways to involve the drivers in your career.
    • Team momentum is earned by strong finishes at the track from week to week. The idea is your strong performances lift your team members and crew ultimately giving you stronger, better performing cars.
    • In general, the longer you stay with one team, the better that team gets. This allows you to build and improve one of the lower-ranked teams in real life. This replaces the last game's facilities upgrade function.

NASCAR Heat 2 will release on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC September 12th 2017.

NASCAR Heat 2 Rivalries 3.jpg NASCAR Heat 2 Rivalries 2.jpg

Want to know more about NASCAR Heat 2? Need to kill some time whilst we await a release? Fear not, you can always hang out in the NASCAR Heat 2 sub forum and get involved with the community, we even plan on having a mods and online racing section post release too!

Quality feature or quick gimmick? What do you think of the 'rivals' element of NASCAR Heat 2? Let us know in the comments section below!

2. NASCRAP

NASCRAP

Ratings:
    +7
    That is not a sim and NASCRAP is not a sport.

• Haha Haha x 4
    • Angry Angry x 4
    • Sad Sad x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pywackett-Barchetta

Pywackett-Barchetta

Ratings:
    +62
    I am a bit worried about the Rivals system there, since the EA games were far too wildly touchy on that front to be fun for me (it was about the point that Carl Edwards was lightly tapped and went into a screaming frothing rage and dropped everything to destroy me that I gave up on 2005: Chase for the Cup), but this definitely bodes well career-wise. The actual core gameplay's gotta hold up still, but it's getting clear that a lot of love was put into this one, at minimum, and if all this does hold up, it could be quite a lot of replay value with each season changing subtly.

The black-and-white video menus look badass, too.

4. Ilya Malyuev

Ilya Malyuev

Ratings:
    +66
    This one looks painfully bad, and people bash AMS look...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chobonator

Chobonator

Ratings:
    +59
    They both look bad in their own little special ways, like a three-legged mangy chihuahua and a rabid old skunk.

6. EduCalza

EduCalza

Ratings:
    +1
    amazing!!! cant wait for this awesome game....

7. Ole Marius Myrvold

Ole Marius Myrvold
    JWB 96-13 Staff

Ratings:
    +3,132
    Never had much of an issue with that, however, what frustrated me was that I could be best mate with Jimmie Johnson in Nationwide(or National or whatever it was called in that game), while Jimmie Johnson was my biggest rival in Nextel...

• Haha Haha x 1
  8. Chobonator

Chobonator

Ratings:
    +59
    Friend or foe in this one?

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  9. pvlnt

pvlnt

Ratings:
    +1
    Of course, NASCRAP is not a sport because there is no such thing as a "NASCRAP". Maybe you've made a typo and meant "NASCAR"? And I assure you, in terms of sport, NASCAR is a great sport.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Dave R

Dave R

Ratings:
    +204
    I'll be buying it just for the chance to run some trucks around Road America, Mid Ohio, Watkins Glen, Sonoma, and CTMP. I place this game largely in the same category as the F1 series (has the season, cars, and tracks of the series). It's not sim, it's not super hardcore, but if last year is any indication, it will be fun. I just hope the plate AI has been improved.

11. Ryno917

Ryno917

Ratings:
    +220
    Wait.. wait... Mosport will finally be in another sim?
    About damn time. Hopefully this gets some good sportscar racing mods at some point to go along with that brilliant piece of tarmac. AFAIK Mosport has only been in two racing games; GPL and SCGT. And the newest of those was released in '99. It's been far too long.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Dave R

Dave R

Ratings:
    +204
    Yep this is the first time I've seen it in a game in ages.

13. Chobonator

Chobonator

Ratings:
    +59
    Mosport is available in iRacing, and as a mod in Automobilista, Race 07, rFactor, etc.

14. NASCRAP

NASCRAP

Ratings:
    +7

• Haha Haha x 2
  15. Ryno917

Ryno917

Ratings:
    +220
    Ah, right! Forgot it was in iRacing.

I'm aware of the mods, but I just wish the place got more love from developers. It's such a wonderful circuit, it'd be nice for it to get more exposure. Attendance figures aren't the greatest, because most people in the Toronto area don't even know about it these days.

• Agree Agree x 2