New Mixed Reality VR Headsets.

Steve Bird

Come On Williams!
I've not seen a post on here previously (Although I bet there is one) so I thought I would ask if anybody has tried any of the ones released today like the Dell?

Im looking at the Samsung one which is release in the middle of December due to it having earphones incorporated (Plus a better resolution). If the pricing stays the same as it is in the US it will work out approx £380. Samsung are also doing 0% finance in the US if you pay it off within the first 6 months. Bargain :) More info HERE.

For those that don't know about them they are 6 DOF headsets that have sensors on the headset so you don't need to use external motion sensors dotted around the room. More HERE.

You'll find some Youtube videos of people with the developer editions. Which are basically the same ones as the consumer versions. The Window's HMDs don't have many compatible titles (under 40 at launch) to speak of yet so you won't get much in a way of useful impressions until they add SteamVR support later this year.

Even then, developers will need to add Windows Mixed Reality support to their games unless someone comes up with a clever Revive-type workaround.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info Jeremy. So we have to wait for the steam VR support and see if our fav titles will work or not

Yes indeed. For sim racing technically these Windows headsets tick all the boxes. And considering how many of these are hitting the market it's hard to imagine them not getting wide support. But as it stands buying one now doesn't make a lot of sense as it will be just sitting on a shelve staring and haunting you with it's dead inside out tracking eyes!

Upvote 0
I've not seen a post on here previously (Although I bet there is one) so I thought I would ask if anybody has tried any of the ones released today like the Dell?

Im looking at the Samsung one which is release in the middle of December due to it having earphones incorporated (Plus a better resolution). If the pricing stays the same as it is in the US it will work out approx £380. Samsung are also doing 0% finance in the US if you pay it off within the first 6 months. Bargain :) More info HERE.

For those that don't know about them they are 6 DOF headsets that have sensors on the headset so you don't need to use external motion sensors dotted around the room. More HERE.
Unfortunately samsung announced it will not be selling their hmd in Europe

Upvote 0
Interesting thing about the Mixed Reality headsets is definitely the inside - out tracking. Eliminating the need for lighthouses is huge for keeping your rig compact. Especially if you dont have a permanent setup.

Unfortunately samsung announced it will not be selling their hmd in Europe
Source?
Doesn't mean you can't important it via Amazon or such.

Upvote 0
Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR opened yesteday to normal customers in addition of beeing open only for developers. Played with it for couple hours and seems that from VR games I have in steam only Project Cars worked straight on, no such luck with Project Cars 2 or Assetto Corsa.

Have now had Acer Mixed Reality headset some weeks and I must say that so far the only mixed thing about is how mixed I am feeling about how unfinished product they managed to sell me... There still is no real content for it and sometimes it does bad things (which might be related to compatibility with 980ti)

Sure the picture quality is gazillion times better than on my other headset which is PSVR with PS4 Pro which also lacks those "killer games", but in every other aspect PSVR is far superior to Acer headset.

Upvote 0
Thats all good to hear. I wondering if these mixed reality headsets have any type of dropped frame compensation like the Rift and Vive use in their software drivers to smooth out low frame stuttering.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back