New markings for Pirelli tyres

Chris Jenkins

Driving til the wheels fall off
From Planetf1.com:

Pirelli are set to introduce more distinctive tyre markings at the Turkish GP, colouring the entire sidewall of their tyres.

This season, Pirelli opted to use different coloured lettering for their compounds, however, there were complaints that they are barely visible.

The Italian manufacturer then added stripes for the Malaysian and Chinese GPs. But, those too have proven to be difficult for TV audiences to make out.

As such, Pirelli will now colour the entire sidewall of their tyres.

"From Turkey you will see a new marking on the tyres," motorsport director Paul Hembery told ITV.

"The colours will be full colours on the sidewall and it will look much more significant the amount of colour we put in so the black can't get in the way when it's spinning.

"It will become far more visible."

What makes me think that this is going to look AWFUL?!

From Planetf1.com:

What makes me think that this is going to look AWFUL?!

Pirelli is now facing the same issues as Bridgestone in the last couple of years. They have invested millions and millions to get into the F1 and apart from the season introduction phase people don't talk enough about the Pirelli brand.

I think they will keep changing stuff the entire year to make the news.

I remember Bridgestone wanted to have coloured sidewalls back in 2009 I think it was and the teams flat-out refused because it clashed with their liveries too much.

Gerhard_Berger_1986_Detroit.jpg

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 403 16.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 274 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 262 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 191 7.8%
  • < 5 years