New Jersey GP delayed for 1 year

Bruno Sousa Ferreira

Strategy Mister!
From sky sports F1
The inaugural New Jersey Grand Prix, scheduled for 2013, has been shelved for a year over ongoing construction delays.
Plans were in place for the first race on the Weehawken track to take place next season, with millions of dollars being spent to transform 3.2 miles of city streets on the Hudson River waterfront.
Foundation work was due to begin in early autumn but is yet to get underway and engineering permits are still required before any work can go forward.
There are also concerns remaining over funding the project and Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone said he had reached the end of the road in terms of waiting for organisers to get things sorted out at their end.
"It is not going to happen next year," Ecclestone said.
"If they came up with the contract with us and we were satisfied the question is could they carry out the work in six months? Winter in New York is not good.
"There's not a lot going on with New Jersey. They are still running around trying to get their finances sorted out. I think if suddenly they found the investors they would be okay. They are looking for investors."
Mayor of Weehawken Richard Turner admitted the delay was a logical step, saying: "I think it makes more sense to me."
The decision leaves Ecclestone with a vacancy to fill on the 2013 calendar, although there are reports that he is already in discussions over a Mexican Grand Prix

When I say this in Skysports (TV) I though they were talking this years American GP.

Bernie Ecclestone has revealed that F1 will not head to New Jersey next season due to a lack of funding.

The race had been included on next year's calendar but only provisionally as it was marked as subject to confirmation.

However, it now appears that confirmation won't be coming as while foundation work had begun on the pits for the 3.2-mile street circuit, a lack of investors has brought the project to a halt.

"It is not going to happen next year," Ecclestone told Eurosport-Yahoo!

"If they came up with the contract with us and we were satisfied the question is could they carry out the work in six months? Winter in New York is not good.

"There's not a lot going on with New Jersey. They are still running around trying to get their finances sorted out.

"I think if suddenly they found the investors they would be okay. They are looking for investors."

Ecclestone, though, is hoping that in time New Jersey will play host a grand prix.

"I've not been there recently but it's a super circuit," he said. "The backdrop is why I decided that is the place to do it."

New Jersey's failure to make it onto the calendar, though, won't leave fans a race short as reports claim Ecclestone is already in talks with Mexico to fill the void.

Formula One (F1) and the Grand Prix of America at Port Imperial (GPA) announced today that the inaugural race has been movedfrom June 2013 to 2014 due to ongoing construction issues on the unique riverfront street course. Both F1 and GPA expressed confidence that the race will occur in 2014.

“We are going to be racing at Port Imperial, unfortunately just not as soon as we hoped and expected,” said Leo Hindery, Jr., promoter of the annual event. “We promised Governor Christie, the Towns, the sport and its international fans the best possible experience, and unfortunately we need additional time to ensure that happens,” he continued.

“We remain 100% committed to the Grand Prix of America at Port Imperial and the race could have no better partner and friend than the CEO of Formula One, Bernie Ecclestone,” said Mr. Hindery. “We benefit greatly from his experience and counsel and from his support.”

“I remain totally committed to the Port Imperial race and its unique location and attributes, and we will continue to work closely together to realize our dream in 2014,” said Formula One president and chief executive officer, Bernie Ecclestone. “As Leo says, we are still going to be racing at Port Imperial, now however in 2014.”

The construction issues cited today include the additional time needed for the development of complex Hudson Riverfront facilities and for finishing the second pits and paddock garage on the site.

GPA and F1 pointed out that significant progress has been made toward developing the race, including substantial construction of the first garage and other permanent facilities, extensive trackengineering and operations planning, hiring of senior staff and partnering with key vendors to manage hospitality, security, ticket sales, transportation planning and operations.

The Grand Prix of America will run on a 3.2-mile street circuit at Port Imperial along the Hudson River and the Palisades in the towns of Weehawken and West New York, N.J., with the New York City skyline as a backdrop. Fans will be treated to three days of action, including Formula One practice and qualifying sessions, support series races and Sunday's Formula One race.

The above is from the press release i received today

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back