New GTX980 - now GSCE graphics looks terrible

i just bought a GTX980 and 3x benq 144hz 24" monitors (upgraded from a GTX590) and now the colors in GSCE are all horrid... its as if the gamma and brightness are cranked up and its using 16bit, like the load screens and menus look as it they don't have enough color depth and are looking grainy and pale.

iRacing looks fine, desktop looks fine, GTR 2 Fine.... just GSCE is terrible.

I did a clean install and patched up to 1.21 and ran sync. still no good.

running the 344.80 drivers

and just to add...the performance boost i was hoping to get over the 590 in iRacing and GSCE looks to be sporadic & minimal at best too :(

feeling like i wasted big $$$ for little gains

any ideas on the horid colours ???

Even on a 660Ti I love the look of GSC. Takes a bit of playing with settings.

Yes it does. With a little experimentation with the settings GSCE looks great in my opinion.
gscebac1_zps53cc6664.jpg

GRAB_013_zps6ca129c1.png

GRAB_007_zps945ec16e.jpg

Once I clicked the pics twice (second time for full size) it really hit me; this is what I love about these older engine based sims. Everything is so sharp and clean, it's not full of pretty-but-fake, artistic and dramatic, looking effects like in so many other games (Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, etc.) like a ton of bloom, blurring, DOF, over dramatic-and-stylized lighting (as if the game takes place in some type of fairyland planet, etc.).

There are a few exceptions, for eg. DOF, and DOF only while A. watching the game from a TV cam, and B. only when you're watching the game from a TV cam and happen to be going for that "I want to feel like I'm watching on T.V. rather than feeling like I'm actually there at the track myself" look.
You hit the nail right on the head! A perfect explanation of how things are. Good remark and I follow your posts on settings, you give sound advice and that helps all of us!

Sorry to dig up an older thread. I love the way GSCE looks - with the exception of the whites in game. They are so bright that all detail and texture is completely lost on my setup. I'm running a GTX 780 TI and the other colours seem rich and full and clear. But the white is almost painful. :cool:

I have turned off gamma adjust.

Can anyone suggest a way - perhaps using sweetfx - to mute the whites a bit and bring back some of the detail?

just to clarify with the problem i had in my initial post, and did appear that the game wasnt using the colour/contrast/brightness etc that i had setup via the NVCP... i was fortunate enough to come across a ver good article on my monitors that had settings and profiles I could apply to the monitors to "dial them in" properly rather than using the NVCP to adjust. since then the game has looked normal again... link to article
http://www.displaylag.com/benq-xl2430t-review-144hz-gaming-monitor/#prettyPhoto

You hit the nail right on the head! A perfect explanation of how things are. Good remark and I follow your posts on settings, you give sound advice and that helps all of us!
Thank you for the kind words :)

Sorry to dig up an older thread. I love the way GSCE looks - with the exception of the whites in game. They are so bright that all detail and texture is completely lost on my setup. I'm running a GTX 780 TI and the other colours seem rich and full and clear. But the white is almost painful. :cool:

I have turned off gamma adjust.

Can anyone suggest a way - perhaps using sweetfx - to mute the whites a bit and bring back some of the detail?
I noticed that when I downloaded the official SCE SweetFX that the whites became more crushed (flat, bright, solid white, loosing more details) other than that everything looked nice with a slight "pop", nothing too drastic and "fake" looking (thank goodness), but if you're getting white crush without even using the SCE SweetFX then I'd say something is up with your monitor. Try different modes. I would try the standard mode and edit the monitor's brightness, contrast, colours and gamma modes (if you have these, I'm basing this off of a BenQ).

Make sure your Windows' ICC colour profile is default as that may have become messed-up/changed/edited. Reset all your GPU control panel colour/contrast, etc. settings.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help! I did just as you suggested. I have to play with it a bit more to see if the proper ICC makes much of a difference. On a very cursory first try I don't notice a huge difference.

I agree the sweetFX profile exacerbates the problem - also the text on signs looks more fuzzy to me when I enable it. I have an older Dell u2410 and it has several different modes so I will play around to see if there is one that helps.

Cheers

It's true that the whites do blow out a little even by default with GSC, there's not a great deal to be done about it, although we try to minimize the effect on default tracks, it maybe more noticeable on mods...
It looks wonderful and it's a very, very minor price to pay for such a subtle but at the same time noticable improvement to the overall look of the game. I wouldn't worry about it one bit :)

With a GTX970, MSR at 4X times resampling of 1920 x 1080p, and MFAA - I have finally reached visual nirvana -not only with this racing sim but all the others. No need for variant d3d.dlls any more!

Lovely jaggy free environments.

Woohoo!

I was about to start a new topic about this but I'll it here anyway, as it seems to about the same subjects, more or less:

I have a 3.5 GHz six-core CPU with 8 GB RAM and a GPU with 2 GB VRAM (More than the recommended settings for SCE) and even on low settings I get very low fps on a race with full grid while other sims, like Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2, runs like butter on high to max settings in a race with full grid. Am I doing anything wrong? It's a fresh install and configured only with the config tool and in-game settings (No ini file tinkering).

I was about to start a new topic about this but I'll it here anyway, as it seems to about the same subjects, more or less:

I have a 3.5 GHz six-core CPU with 8 GB RAM and a GPU with 2 GB VRAM (More than the recommended settings for SCE) and even on low settings I get very low fps on a race with full grid while other sims, like Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2, runs like butter on high to max settings in a race with full grid. Am I doing anything wrong? It's a fresh install and configured only with the config tool and in-game settings (No ini file tinkering).
Here you go --> http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/large-framerate-boost-w-practically-no-image-quality-loss.97304/ :)

Last edited:

Thanks but even with your tweaks I couldn't get a consistent framerate in a race with more than 10 cars. When hot lapping in any track it works great even on Ultra: 60+ fps with no lag spikes, no stuttering, no glitches. But when more than 10 cars are visible on screen, it goes down to around 18~25 fps. I've also noticed some cars disappearing after passing by me and popping back in after a few metters.

Edit: These are my settings.

Last edited:
Note - you need a 900 series card to run these settings. I have a GTX970 - 4GB.

Nvidia Control Panel
upload_2015-5-25_19-56-24.png
upload_2015-5-25_19-46-3.png
upload_2015-5-25_19-46-25.png
Nvidia Inspector - only changed pre-rendered frames to 1 and power profile to single display and maximum performance.
upload_2015-5-25_19-46-53.png
In game display settings:
Everything on full but for Texture filter - choose Bilinear or Trilinear. Anisotropic gives poorer results when using MFAA.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 279 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 190 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 191 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 139 7.5%
  • < 5 years