New 'Go Faster' With Aristotelis Vasilakos Video: Engine and Gearbox

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Go Faster Aris Assetto Corsa Tutorial.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni physics engineer Aristotelis Vasilakos has released his second 'Go Faster' tutorial video, this time with a focus on car engines and gearboxes.

On the back of a popular first release in his series of 'Go Faster' videos, Aris once again takes to the home of the British Grand Prix at Silverstone to impart some useful driving wisdom using the Assetto Corsa simulation and a selection of cars. Unlike last time, Vasilakos takes us on a tour of the ins and outs of faster driving using not just the trusty BMW M235i Racing but also the incredible Mercedes-Benz 190E EVO II of DTM touring car fame.

Whilst last time out Vasolakos had a focus on the physical driving line and braking techniques one should employ in order to become a competitive driver, this time around the talented physics creator turns his attention to the more technical aspects of setting up a car to best suit the conditions and ones on driving style. With such a large and complicated array of different settings that can be employed on any single car, Aris has in his near 30 minute video paid special attention to gearing and engine settings and how best to maximise this element of the car setup in order to provide a safer, and faster, driving experience.

When quizzed on the reasons behind these recent tutorials, Aris had the following to say:

"The first ethical reason is that I always thought that simracers should talk about driving, racing, cars. Not bickering around on sterile flames about which is the best sim and who's penis is longer... So I take advantage of whatever knowledge I have gained through all these years on the subject and try to express it in a way that doesn't annoy people, clear and simple enough to be understood from newbies and just a hint of "high end" stuff so that aliens and engineers can join in and take it from me and push it further, sustaining the discussion.

The second reason is that we want the channel to grow, to gain respectable numbers. For the money? Well I doubt it we can get it to numbers that YouTube will start to pay us good enough, but certainly we won't say no hehehe. But the main reason is that with a big enough channel, we can go to the automotive makers and ask real cars to try on real tracks. And then we can convince them to sponsor us to make the Game&Track show even bigger. This is our main side project, mine, Maurizio's and Davide. This show on a real track is free for everybody and we organize on site competitions. Winners get to do taxi laps on supercars with us or professional drivers... and maybe this year we might have the opportunity to put some simmers to try some cars on the side of official instructors!

Still early times but we really pushing behind the scenes to convince as many sponsors as possible!"

As with the first driving techniques video, the latest release is both entertaining while at the same time providing useful information aimed at increasing players enjoyment and competitiveness in Assetto Corsa. I for one hope that these two video releases are the beginning of a series of releases from Aris, and prove themselves to be useful for new and experienced sim racers alike.

Assetto Corsa is a racing simulation designed by Kunos Simulazioni and is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Oh boy do we like mods! If you do too then we have you covered with our fantastic Assetto Corsa modding archive. From downloads to a place for mod discussion, we have it all for you to enjoy, check it out today! If you don't fancy trying out some of the awesome community created tracks and cars then drop in on our Assetto Corsa sub forum to chat about the game with your fellow fans. Interaction and threads make forums fun, so start one today!

Have you enjoyed the latest video from Aris? Did you learn anything interesting that could be used out on track? What topic would you like to see Aris cover next? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
It's simple. With shifting earlier, you are not stressing the engine, and thus using the Torque to propel you forward more instead of trying to use raw power, as most modern race cars engines, although have a limiter of say for example 7000rpm, you actually loose power around the 6,500 mark to "save them"

This is why you should never flat line a racing car. I love his racing style as I have done this for a long time.

Use the Torque Luke :laugh::laugh:

depends on the engine surely? some engines keep producing more power all the way to the redline at 8600rpm

depends on the engine surely? some engines keep producing more power all the way to the redline at 8600rpm
Yep, and even if the power falls of a towards the redline. When shifting up you are "going" somewhere to the left on the power graph (potentially) ending up with less power then before the shift. You should stay in the current gear until you'll end up with more (or at least equal) power in the next gear than you have currently or until you can't rev any higher.

Dear Aristotelis, thank you so much for your effort and those two videos.
I enjoyed very much to watch the first one and it changed my driving completely.
What a pity that you or Kunos haven´t done this earlier.
Because I got Assetto Corsa from the first days and I was always wondering about those Aliens.
I thought that I was just not spending enough time with this beautiful simulation.
Everyone should see your videos, I will recommend them to everybody who I will speak about Assetto Corsa, I promise.
You have done a great job Aristotelis, your accent is great and very entertaining.
I don´t want to see short videos, please don’t cut them.
Of course thank you Kunos too for this amazing simulation, I love it from the first moment of driving, this is what I was always was dreaming about.
My pc is very old, I haven’t changed my hardware for many years and it is unbelievable how great the game looks on it – fantastic job guys!
I didn’t expect that the second tutorial will came out so quick, I am patient and will look forward to the next one.

I have only two suggestions:
Would it be possible to get more information about the chosen car like Troque or Power on the loading screen when waiting for the next online race?
This will make sense after what I saw in the second video.
When will you start finally sell Kunos T-Shirts?!
I love this logo and would like to see how many people are running around with them in the streets, universities or schools.
I will recognize likemindet people from far away and we will have a great topic to start conversations.
Maybe I will meet some aliens than ;)

So thank you again Aristotelis, thank you Kunos and of course thank you Racedepartment for posting this here, thank you so much!

With best regards
Tommy

Dear Aristotelis, once again, GREAT JOB.
Keep them coming.
Who knows - us newbies might even want to start wearing Aristotelis T shirts ;)

It is not just the newbies who can improve listening to Aris, some of us, like me, have done it wrong for a long time. Aris gave us a map we can understand so we finally understand we're the **** we are supposed to go instead of running around in circle wondering why we are not improving.

Dear Aristotelis, thank you so much for your effort and those two videos.
I enjoyed very much to watch the first one and it changed my driving completely.
What a pity that you or Kunos haven´t done this earlier.
Because I got Assetto Corsa from the first days and I was always wondering about those Aliens.
That is not the job of Kunos but your own :) And unfortunately I (and others) have often begun a thread like "When to shift right" "where exactly is the apex" etc. But very less feedback.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 336 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%