• "Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

New Formula Two Car to Feature Halo Design, Pictures Revealed

Discussion in 'Motorsports' started by Paul Jeffrey, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +11,960
    Formula Two 2018.jpg
    The Formula Two series have revealed a new car for 2018, mirroring the recent trend set by its F1 big brother in the sporting of a controversial ‘Halo’ design.

Marking the first time the series formally known as GP2 has released a brand new car since its inception in 2011, the new for next year vehicle has been designed to more closely mirror the new aerodynamic direction of Grand Prix racing.

Lower at the rear, more aggressive in design and of course featuring the highly dubious looking ‘Halo’ design, the new Formula Two car has certainly turned plenty of heads during its reveal at the Italian Monza Grand Prix circuit.

Designed once again by famed Italian manufacturer Dallara, the new for 2018 machine will be powered by the Renault derived Mecachrome unit for next year, with horsepower expected to exceed the 620HP mark from the new 2.4ltr turbocharged unit, maxing out a 8,750 rpm.

“Our focus has always been on providing a powerful, safe and challenging car which will encourage overtaking, and thanks to the new aerodynamics package we believe this car will both enhance racing and provide even more entertainment for our fans” said boss Bruno Michel of Formula Two.​

Despite what is a visually appealing update to the new machines it is in no doubt that the inclusion of a halo device, something Formula One fans have been highly vocal about these past few months, that will cause the most noise from the general public.

Formula Two 2018 4.jpg

Seen as the latest in a long line of safety improvements for open wheel motorsport, the halo looks likely to be filtered down to many of the FIA sanctioned open wheel categories in operation today.

“The car has been developed to include improved aesthetics, as well as bringing the safety level up to the highest standards for single-seater cars – and to ultimately bring it closer to a modern Formula 1 car on both of these points.” Said Charlie Whiting, FIA Formula One Race Director.​

The car will make its public debut for the 2018 Formula Two season.

The F2 2018 car specs

Dimensions
    Overall length: 5224 mm (was 5065mm)
    Overall width: 1900 mm (unchanged)
    Overall height: 1097 mm including FOM roll hoop camera (was 1072 mm)
    Wheelbase: 3135 mm (was 3120mm)
    Overall weight: 720 kg (driver on-board)

Engine

V6 3.4 litre single turbo charged Mecachrome engine
    Rated to 620 HP @ 8750 rpm
    Fly by wire accelerator system
    Rebuild after 8000 km
    Maximum Torque 600 Nm

Performances
    Acceleration: 0 - 100 km/h, 2.90 sec
    Acceleration: 0 - 200 km/h, 6.60 sec
    Maximum speed: 335 km/h (Monza aero + DRS)
    Max. braking deceleration -3.5 G
    Max. lateral acceleration +/- 3.9 G

Safety standards
    Full FIA F1 2017 safety standards
    Halo F1 specification

Monocoque and Bodywork
    Survival cell - Sandwich Carbon/aluminium honeycomb structure made by Dallara
    Front and rear wing - Carbon structures made by Dallara
    Bodywork - Carbon - Kevlar honeycomb structures made by Dallara

DRS

Same functionality of DRS used in Formula One
    Hydraulic activation

Gearbox
    6-speed longitudinal Hewland sequential gearbox
    Electro-hydraulic command via paddle shift from steering wheel
    ZF SACHS Carbon clutch
    No on-board starter, anti-stall system
    Non hydraulic ramp differential

Fuel cell
    FIA Standard
    Premier FT5 125 litres

Electronic features

Magneti Marelli SRG 480 ECU/GCU including data logging system
    Magneti Marelli PDU 12-42 power supply management unit
    CAN data acquisition pre-equipment
    Beacon receiver

Suspension

Double steel wishbones, pushrod operated, twin dampers and torsion bars suspension (F) and spring suspension (R)
    Adjustable ride height, camber and toe
    Two way (F) / Four way (R) adjustable Koni dampers
    Adjustable anti-roll bar (Front/Rear)

Brakes
    6 pistons monobloc Brembo calipers
    TBC carbon-carbon brake discs and pads

Wheels and tyres

F1 2016 standard wheel dimensions
    O.Z. Racing
    Magnesium rims
    13” x 12” front F1 2016 standard wheel dimensions
    13” x 13.7” rear F1 2016 standard wheel dimensions
    F2 specific Pirelli slick / wet tyres

Steering system
    Non-assisted rack and pinion steering system
    XAP steering wheel with dashboard, gear change and clutch paddles, marshalling & VSC display

Camera equipment
    Roll hoop, nose cone and face shot camera pre-equipment.

Formula Two 2018 2.jpg Formula Two 2018 3.jpg Formula Two 2018 5.jpg

Check out the Formula One sub forum for more Grand Prix news and discussions!

Like the new F2 car? Happy to see wider adoption of the Halo design? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
    • Haha Haha x 4
    • Sad Sad x 4
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. Gopher04

Gopher04
    Old But Not Obsolete.. Premium

Ratings:
    +329
    Car looks lovely, Halo looks..:poop:

• Agree Agree x 17
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Antonio Castagna

Antonio Castagna

Ratings:
    +11
    Halo : for me is :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

• Agree Agree x 10
  4. samcar304

samcar304
    Premium

Ratings:
    +336
    I'm very happy with how the car looks. Can't wait to see it in action! I'm glad the FIA are forcing the Halo on the lower categories. If its on F1 there is no reason for it not be on the feeder series, GP3 is probably going to be next for the Halo. Nice to see the feeder car becoming more and more relevant to the series its under. +1 for the steering wheel too. Looks awesome.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Sad Sad x 2
  5. Rob

Rob
    XBO: OctoberDusk06 Premium

Ratings:
    +3,069
    The FIA is forcing themselves into bankruptcy. Of course, being good bureaucrats, they live of the toil of others, but one day those who do the work (and own the series) will be slapped in the face with reality. This halo will kill the sport. It's forced on a fan base who does not want it.

Think I'm crazy? Ask the NFL. One pampered idiot QB with no skills who makes $5MM a year sits during the national anthem because he hates his country (identity politics is a mental illness) and the NFL does nothing to stop it, so the ratings take a 10% hit. That's massive. Fans are loyal to a fault, but some things will trump that. The halo is that thing.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Haha Haha x 3
    • Angry Angry x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Glaurung

Glaurung
    Premium

Ratings:
    +777
    Nice looking car, expect a lot of downforce and also quite poweful :thumbsup:
    Good to see such an high level junior formula.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Alex Sadler

Alex Sadler

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't mind the halo, the way I see it is it's just another progression. People never like change and in the past we've seen similar situations, so I'm sure it'll grow on us all!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Sad Sad x 5
    • Angry Angry x 1
  8. Newhouses

Newhouses

Ratings:
    +2
    Alonso´s car! 3.4 V6. I want to see this car in Assetto Corsa!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lazarou

Lazarou
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,015
    Looks a technical marvel, halo looks better than I thought. It's the future so I aint going to stop loving motorsport so might as well get on board now. Now doubt the F1 teams will take it to the next level.

• Sad Sad x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Epistolarius

Epistolarius
    Premium

Ratings:
    +376
    I couldn't care less about the looks of the halo. Visibility for the driver is a bigger concern, but that's a compromise. Car looks nice, should be pretty quick and racing close, drivers on the ladder to F1 can race safely, what's not to like.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Matthew Allington

Matthew Allington

Ratings:
    +149
    That F2 car with a Halo seems to be about as well-recieved as DiRT 4.
    If it didn't have a halo it would've been like if DiRT 4 was actually what we hoped for - amazing! :whistling:

• Like Like x 2
  12. protonv5

protonv5

Ratings:
    +90
    Wow, they just love this Halo thingy. They must own a lot of stock in the company that makes it. Oh well, when it snaps off and punctures a drivers throat then they'll remove it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Lazarou

Lazarou
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,015
    Give over, that is way over the top.

14. Rob

Rob
    XBO: OctoberDusk06 Premium

Ratings:
    +3,069
    Halo on Justin Wilson's car? Same result. Halo on Massa's car? Same result. Jules? Same. Wheldon? Same. Not all fans are lemmings. Many have already left. Such a shame, since they really nailed the car design this year.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Angry Angry x 2
  15. John-Eric Saxén

John-Eric Saxén

Ratings:
    +744
    So in other words, what will trump the fans' loyalty and ultimately turn them away from the sport is a metallic steel bar added above the car, which doesn't even impact performance, races or the driving itself. No offense, but if there are really fans that follow F1 only because the cars look a certain way, then F1 is doing better without those fans IMO.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  16. John Addison

John Addison
    Premium

Ratings:
    +93
    What the procedure to get the driver out of the cockpit after a crash with that Halo in the way?

• Like Like x 1
  17. samcar304

samcar304
    Premium

Ratings:
    +336
    I think the only recent fatal accident it could have prevented is Henry Surtees. As really close non-fatal accidents go Power's Gateway crash was a close call. Same with Dixon at Indy. Although the Halo ain't the Answer for Indy. Its a whole different ball game.

18. Lazarou

Lazarou
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,015
    [​IMG]

• Haha Haha x 8
    • Love Love x 1
  19. Ilya Malyuev

Ilya Malyuev

Ratings:
    +68
    Soon in all rental karts!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Carlitox

Carlitox
    Premium

Ratings:
    +83
    We'll have to get used to it and we will. Over the years there have been so many regulation changes making the cars look ugly that eventually grew on us all. To name a few:

1983: Ground effect is banned, cars have tiny sidepods all the way in the back of the car and basically look like bongs.
    1989: Turbos banned, cars no longer have huge rear wings and look skinnier.
    1998: Car width shortened, cars look like a picture that has been resized in MS Paint.
    2009: You know that one. I can't look at that Renault without feeling sick. :roflmao:

Don't get me wrong, I hate this halo thing but I don't hate by any means a way of protection for the driver's head. I just think the halo is flawed and a knee-jerk reaction, whereas concepts such as the aeroscreen/shield or a full canopy could offer more protection than that. For now we have to roll with it and hope they get nicer when they are eventually used by engineers for an advantage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1