New Formula E Car Revealed - Pre Season Testing Begins Tuesday

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Formula-E-car-2016-17-SIDE-.jpg

Season 3 of the all electric FIA Formula E series is due to kick off on the 9th October amidst the spectacular backdrop of the Hong Kong ePrix. Whilst the teams and drivers gear up in preparation for the new season, fans have been treated to images of the new look front wing styling that makes up the latest Formula E car.

With season 3 fast approaching, the FIA have revealed details of the new look cars due to be campaigned by the 20 strong field of drivers. Visually the main difference can be found at the front of the car. Aggressive styled front wings add a futuristic element to the already aggressive styling of the current Formula E machine, whilst adding additional downforce at the front of the car. Although top speeds rarely exceed 135kph as the championship visits a host of narrow, twisting street tracks from Hong Kong, Marrakech, Buenos Aires, Monaco, Paris, Montreal and New York, additional front downforce is no doubt aimed at promoting closer on track action and increase the possibility to overtake in often difficult driving conditions.

Formula E CEO Alejandro Agag had the following to say of the new cars:
Formula E aims to be different, and this new front wing creates a look that’s different to every other car out there. I think this is a great addition to our car and further emphasises the fact that this is a modern, forward-thinking championship that is taking a completely different approach to all other racing series.”​

FIA President Jean Todt added:
The FIA Formula E Championship is not just a great environment in which to develop a completely electric powertrain with new battery technologies, but it is also a platform for experimenting with innovative solutions when it comes to designing single-seater racing cars.”
Formula E New Car.jpg

In other season 3 news, Mahindra Racing have confirmed fan favourite Bruno Senna, nephew of the great Aryton Senna, has been replaced as team mate to Nick Heidfield with highly rated up and coming Formula Three winner Felix Rosenqvist. Rosenqvist and Heidfeld have already spent time with the new M3Electro, completing almost 2,200km of running over 15 days of testing in July across multiple tracks in Spain.

Felix Rosenqvist: “I’m thrilled to join Mahindra Racing at this exciting time. Racing in Formula E will be something genuinely brand new to me. It’s a step into the unknown, but I’ve had a very warm welcome by Mahindra Racing and I have a strong and experienced team-mate in Nick. I’ve tested the car already and I look forward to intensifying our preparations during the two pre-season tests at Donington. I love new challenges and this is going to be a massive one, for sure. I’m fully aware that it will take some time to learn the trade of electric racing, as the technology in Formula E is so different to what I’m accustomed. You need to be fast, as always, but you also have to be clever and energy-efficient. I also find the calendar highly exciting. We’ll be racing on street tracks in some incredible locations, and I can’t wait for Hong Kong.”

Ten teams are currently signed up for the third season of Formula E, with many seats still available and further driver announcements expected over the course of the Donington Park pre season test. The full list of registered teams can be seen below:
  • ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport
  • Andretti Formula E
  • Faraday Future Dragon Racing
  • DS Virgin Racing
  • Jaguar Racing
  • Mahindra Racing
  • NextEV NIO
  • Renault e.Dams
  • Techeetah
  • Venturi Formula E

In other news, RaceDepartment will be attending the first official pre season test at Donington Park on Wednesday 24th August. Keep an eye out on RaceDepartment in the coming days for the latest images and news from Donington, and hopefully an exclusive interview or two from some of the top drivers in the series. Coming soon...

Check out the RaceDepartment Formula E sub forum to discuss the upcoming Season 3 for the FIA's all electric championship.

Looking forward to the 2016/17 FIA Formula E season? Like the look of the new car? Who do you think looks good for victory in the new season? Let us know in the comments section below!

I don't watch many other racing series than f1 tbh but holy **** this looks like a mean machine. At least the car shapes is something that is heading into the right direction in terms of motorsport. :thumbsup::inlove:

Well I'll be at Donington on Wednesday so hopefully I'll get some decent pictures of the new shape. Need to have a chat with someone technical to get more detail about if its just aesthetics or for an aerodynamic reason. They are usually good at speaking with the media about stuff, so hopefully something to share with you all later in the week...

The front view is not too bad and the front wing is definitely an interesting departure from the norm, but the rest of the design makes me think of the Dallara DW12... A tad on the fugly "what has been seen, cannot be unseen" side of things...:sick::sick::sick::speechless:

Is it just my impression or is this car rather long? SImilar to the actual F1 generation, where the proportions also look way off.

Agree with the comments that it looks like a DW12 bodykit, not really a popular look with race fans. Something like one of those Red Bull F1 concept cars would have been a lot better.

What this series has going for it are the green credentials and a great driver roster but the cars are still way too slow and changing cars in the middle of the race is still the dumbest thing ever.

I like the way these look now. Now if they can get the electric motors to make some more screaming and less RC car sound it would be great.

They can't make the cars much faster due to the safety of city tracks they race on.

...They can't make the cars much faster due to the safety of city tracks they race on.

Wrong way round. Even when they ran in Monaco they didn't use the full GP track. They don't race on permanent circuits because people would see they have Formula Ford like pace. I hope battery tech improves in the future so they can run on decent tracks but I it's going to take a long time to get there.

Very nice! Whether we like it or not Electricity is the future :( But at least we are attempting the future in the present.
For me personally i really like the look of this car. Yes the sound is nothing to shout about (Well you probably could shout louder than one) but it's what we have and in the future it might only be what we have...

Mahindra Formula E Car.jpg

New Mahindra M3Electro.

Drivers confirmed so far:

Renault e.Dams
Sebastien Buemi
Nicolas Prost

DS Virgin Racing
Sam Bird
Jose Maria Lopez

Venturi
Stephane Sarrazin
Maro Engel

Faraday Future Dragon Racing
Loic Duval
Jerome d'Ambrosio

ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport
Lucas di Grassi
Daniel Abt

Mahindra Racing
Nick Heidfeld
Felix Rosenqvist

Techeetah
Jean-Eric Vergne
Ma Qing Hua

MS Amlin Andretti
Antonio Felix da Costa
Robin Frijns

NextEV NIO
Nelson Piquet Jr
Oliver Turvey

Jaguar
TBC

Not sure about that nose, the wing is great but that extra extension past the front wing just seems unecessary and asking for impacts.

I can't wacth Formula E, the sound for me is the same of a RC eletric car and it's very annoying for me.

I've got a easy fix for you, i do it all the time. just mute your TV (Or whatever you're watching Formula E on) Go to Youtube,

Search for Lexus LFA sound, and play it for 1 hour,

Now you can watch FE in Piece with a lovely V10 sound in the background...;):cool::geek:

Gah these renders...!

My eyes my eyes!

Gotta love the driver protection slabs! Surely there was a more elegant solution in keeping with the rest of the design?

Dave

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 336 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 228 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 171 7.9%
  • < 5 years