DiRT Rally New FFB patch.

o you may have noticed a small patch for DiRT Rally release today and we are pleased to say that yes... this is the FFB update (otherwise known as v0.4.5).

This latest update has been built off the back of your feedback since launch; it will change how the game communicates to you through your wheel or pad and make everything feel much more intuitive.

Alongside that we’ve also added a whole suite of advanced wheel options to help you fine tune your set up. You can read more info about what we’ve done here.

We’re also pleased to say we’ve included a new batch of supported wheels. If your wheel isn’t on the list don’t worry, we are continuing to work our way down the list and we’ll be adding more as DiRT Rally’s Early Access continues.
  • Logitech Driving Force GT
  • Logitech Driving Force Pro
  • Logitech Formula Force EX
  • Thrustmaster T500 RS Racing Wheel
  • Thrustmaster T500 RS F1 Racing Wheel
  • Thrustmaster T300 RS
  • Thrustmaster TX 458
  • Thrustmaster Ferrari F430 FFB
  • Fanatec CSR Elite Wheel
  • Logitech MOMO Racing Wheel (keyboard required for some controls)
  • Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel (keyboard required for some controls)
As ever thank you again for your support, we really hope you enjoy this latest update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ol Dan somehow got very quiet after my request for those photos !
I wonder why :roflmao:

I don't think anybody needs to prove anything to random commenters on the internet. You want justification from people of their credentials? If you wan't people to go out of their way for your benefit, maybe you should give them a reason to. What makes YOU worthy to be the judge of our experiences? Show us that justification.

"We are all waiting here..."

Distractions aside, FFB is a lot better. Car feels like it weighs a lot more. I felt much more confident with the car handling and had fewer incidents. (Pace notes still suck badly.)

Forza CSR: 360 degs, Drift 5, spring and damper off
In game: All at 100 except SAT at 120% and Suspension at 20%

I'm actually enjoying it. But it seriously needs proper replays from trackside and not those pathetic Dirt series type replays where it cuts to internal, wheels etc. Spoils the whole game for me.

And I think we end the discussion about "showing off" real life things, and any discussion about that.
Also no point in dragging anything about sexism any further either, that is even more OT.
Any post about the things above, or similar, or any effort in trying to drag the discussion on, without staying on topic will be deleted.

This thread is about the FFB Patch and the effects that have had on the game, and tips&tricks regarding that.

I'm actually enjoying it. But it seriously needs proper replays from trackside and not those pathetic Dirt series type replays where it cuts to internal, wheels etc. Spoils the whole game for me.

Yeah two big things I'm looking for are replay camera control (nothing fancy just WHICH camera without reverting back to cycling through each camera which is hugely annoying and seems easy to fix with is extra annoying) and 2) arcade bringing me back to track ; let me find my way back and do a service crew IF i want to like RBR

*Mod Edit* See post 89*Mod Edit*

Now, on the topic, I have just unlocked Adv setup for the S4 and the default one runs at 10:90 F/R center diff ratio. I pushed it to 40:60 and felt more from the front wheels. Don't know if it was just me or if it really makes a difference, which is awesome!

Took one day break, and gave it another go, and still the settings below are what I ended up with.
Nice weight, maybe too dampened effects (need to see about that later), accurate, informative and absolute blast to drive.

T500RS
Drivers; 60,100,100,0,100... by game
Advanced Wheel Options;
Soft Lock - on
Calibrated to 1050 degrees
(rest default)
Vibration&Feedback;
SAT - 42% (Too much SAT and the wheel tries to self align itself too much and results in wiggle of death)
Wheel Friction - 20%
Tyre Friction - 100%
Suspension - 75%
Tyre Slip - 85%
Collision - 70%
Soft Lock - 100%

Yeah two big things I'm looking for are replay camera control (nothing fancy just WHICH camera without reverting back to cycling through each camera which is hugely annoying and seems easy to fix with is extra annoying) and 2) arcade bringing me back to track ; let me find my way back and do a service crew IF i want to like RBR

Forgot the stupid dropping out of gear does anyone understand that? Has it been acknowledged as a bug? Cool if done right but seriously...wait I think I remember this needs a transmission upgrade? Right?

I don't think anybody needs to prove anything to random commenters on the internet. You want justification from people of their credentials? If you wan't people to go out of their way for your benefit, maybe you should give them a reason to. What makes YOU worthy to be the judge of our experiences? Show us that justification.

"We are all waiting here..."

*Mod Edit* See post 89*Mod Edit*

Last edited by a moderator:
It does happen less with fully upgraded cars.
Not sure about career mode (still haven't touched it), but in custom events I'm pretty sure the cars are all fully upgraded and have been for a couple patches now. The only time there is a problem is when using an H-shifter + clutch configuration. Never have it popping out of gear or anything in sequential mode. Can also hop in RBR and not have a single dropped or missed gear. I'm more than willing to accept fault when it's my mistake, but there's been many times now I've come up to a corner and I'm on the brakes with the clutch in. Go to downshift and all I get is the grinding noise. So incredibly frustrating.

One thing I really noticed after a few days of play was how much crisper and natural the FFB is for the modern WRC cars (Gamermuscle noted this too in his DiRT Rally VR video).

Assuming that the problem is as various guys on GTP have postulated (namely the FFB and physics are out of whack at higher steering lock degrees) I decided to test with:
- 900 degrees in drivers
- 60% steering saturation (I.e. 540 degrees actual lock)
- soft lock disabled
(Thereby bringing all cars to the WRC steering lock)

The vintage cars I tested definitely felt more logical like this. I found myself enjoying for instance the Subaru quite a lot more than running it at 720 degrees, and I think it was not just the reduced steering lock, it was the FFB feeling more "in sync" with the experience.

Supposedly 360 degrees lock is still best for being completely in sync, but I find that too twitchy.... This compromise isn't bad, and I found myself easily more in control of the car than at any point since DiRT Rally launch.

I found this on steam forums. It feels really good on my G27, props to guy who did this.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/310560/discussions/0/594820656472081727/
Nice find, thanks! Where do I set the other parameters (ie. SAT, wheel friction, ... collision, etc.)? Can't find them. Thanks.
EDIT: No wonder, I haven't updated builds yet (last saw at v0.3+). The Vibration/FFB windows only had 3 options (Vibration..., Wheel Strength/Weight). So the Vibration/Feedback menu has changed to have new options?

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 372 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing