1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

New Ferrari chassis fails FIA crash test

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Chris Jenkins, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins
    Driving til the wheels fall off

Ferrari's bid to challenge for this year's World titles reportedly took a knock when their 663 failed its crash tests.
    A new regulation this season is that all chassis must pass the mandatory FIA crash tests before they can take part in pre-season testing.
    But, according to Finland's Turun Sanomat, Ferrari's 2012 chassis, dubbed the 663, failed on its first attempt.
    This meant it was back to the drawing board for Ferrari, who had to reinforce the structure before the second attempt at the tests.
    That test is reportedly scheduled for the coming week with Ferrari then set to unveil their new car on February 3rd before testing kicks off on the 7th.

Source: Planet F1

2. Interesting.. :)
    Says something about how extreme the car would be. Probably very "thin" but since that failed they just have to reinforce it and they are good to go.

3. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

Looks like they were trying to take risks on making the chassis lighter.

4. I wonder who they will fire for that one.

5. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Conspiracy! :)

6. Rupe Wilson

Rupe Wilson
    Keep Yoga real Premium Member

I thought things were supposed to fall off in a crash ,,, :oops:

7. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

From the bodywork, yes.
    The chassis must remain intact though.

8. Damn, and I was already cautiously excited about someone putting a car together which might be able to compete with the RB :( Can only hope this won't make them miss the first test...

9. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

I get the feeling that this happens more often than people are made aware of.
    I don't think its much of a big deal.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Exactly - it only gets so much coverage because 1. It's Ferrari and 2. It's new to this year that they won't be able to test with the car in its current state.

11. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

Apparently they were trying to make the monocoque lighter and it failed the side impact test.