New Features added

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
The forum update of today brought a couple of new features that you might like:
  • Selective quoting of message. You can use the good old trusted way of quoting or.... do selective quoting: simply highlight a piece of text and insert it into a quote :) (can even quote from entire different forum posts)
  • Online status indicator. You post avatar now shows a green light when you are online. Handy to see if friends are online.
  • New options to create polls, try them :)
  • Status update box on the forum main page where your latest profile posts are shown.
  • Many more smaller improvements you'll discover by actively participating on the forums :thumbsup:
  • New prefixes for modding forums. You can now quick select and filter modding categories by their prefix. The different categories are highlighted above the modding threads. Of course for a better overview use the downloads section instead.
  • Box showing latest submitted videos and photos (note to self and @Dave Stephenson we need to optimize the images)

Last edited:
I like the new layout but would it be possible to include the alerts on the floating bar that sticks at the top of the page as you scroll down. It's not so bad on a pc but I access the site mainly from my mobile and it's a real pain having to scroll back to the top of some of the really long pages to get to the alerts :thumbsup:

Is is possible to keep using an old layout permanently, instead of having to get used to each new layout scheme at each update?

Agreed. And without sounding too harsh, I really dislike the removal of the separate games list, when it was working fine like it was before.

EDIT: I see the games list is back if I change the theme to Sandbox. Not that obvious, but at least we know now.

EDIT 2: Sandbox theme removed now as well...

Last edited:
The previous updates brought a few new features but foremost we've managed to fix more than 100 little style/css issues that caused tiny errors in the browsing experience, pageload and more. The current layout loads much faster on mobile devices (which equals 20% of our visitors), aligns better and overall runs much smoother on all major mobile and desktop browsers, which was a pain to achieve.

I am working on a few fixes and bring the notifications / alerts to the old position, although it still beats me why its a problem as you only see new notifications on a pageload, which means you are at the top of the page 9 out of 10 times anyway :)

The fix also brings back the bottom navigation bar and some small fixes on loading external javascript which will make the pages load even better than it does now.

However a few concessions will have to be made on the navigation bar where most likely the "members" tab will disappear again in favor of the live stream link we badly needed. By placing the visitor tabs one level lower means we run out of space otherwise.

One thing that still needs to be coded properly (as the prior one was hacked in) is the subforumlisting for games. Haven't figured out yet to do it properly.

Edit: the notifications might go back to the top after all when mobile users conclude that all their navbar real estate has gone. Most of the items collapse now due to a username, inbox and alerts need to be displayed as well. Choices, choices, choices.

Last edited:
The previous updates brought a few new features but foremost we've managed to fix more than 100 little style/css issues that caused tiny errors in the browsing experience, pageload and more. The current layout loads much faster on mobile devices (which equals 20% of our visitors), aligns better and overall runs much smoother on all major mobile and desktop browsers, which was a pain to achieve.

I am working on a few fixes and bring the notifications / alerts to the old position, although it still beats me why its a problem as you only see new notifications on a pageload, which means you are at the top of the page 9 out of 10 times anyway :)

The fix also brings back the bottom navigation bar and some small fixes on loading external javascript which will make the pages load even better than it does now.

However a few concessions will have to be made on the navigation bar where most likely the "members" tab will disappear again in favor of the live stream link we badly needed. By placing the visitor tabs one level lower means we run out of space otherwise.

One thing that still needs to be coded properly (as the prior one was hacked in) is the subforumlisting for games. Haven't figured out yet to do it properly.
For me both on the PC and when on my phone I can be reading a post and new notifications may appear which means once I have finished reading the page I have to scroll back up to the top to see them. Alternatively, I may leave the page and get on with something else and then when I return have to scroll back to the top to see if there's anything noew appeared. Like I say it's less of an issue on the PC where I can simply press CTRL-HOME to get to the top of the page quickly, but not so on my phone. With them on the floating bar they are always visible and easily accessible :thumbsup:

Then you need to take a closer look as there is a jump icon on the right on your mobile device that neatly brings you up and down the page with a single click :thumbsup:

Unless your mobile device is not supporting it. If so please let me know if that's the case.

before this new layout, browsing this site with mobile device i currently use (Samsung Galaxy V, with Firefox) was like a pain. that's why i prefer desktop site, despite the fact that my fingers are too big for mobile devices LOL.
now it runs much smoother, cleaner and easier than before :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Agreed. And without sounding too harsh, I really dislike the removal of the separate games list, when it was working fine like it was before.
Sorry it took a long time to fix and it's not entirely the same as before, but all the games are now on the first page again and in a new side by side two column layout.

This one should be bug free also :) Hope you like this.

Need to find a way to elegantly display the latest post in each forum. On the things to do list :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 132 13.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 95 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 70 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 139 13.9%