New F1 replica wheel by Sala Motorsport

Hi guys,

Came across this new company that is making an exciting new product. It's an F1 wheel that is made with the exact same pre preg autoclave process of the actual f1 wheels. Probably the closest thing to the real thing and some how even better!

Its been posted on the leo bodnar forums but I'll share it here as well for those that are considering the ultimate f1 wheel rim. Here are the details of the wheel.

SalaMotorsport are 80% complete on the new F1 Sim steering wheel and it will be available in the new year.
This wheel is pre-preg carbon fibre construction and will use the new Leo Bodnar SLI-F1 unit and has 28 control buttons,switches and dials, all fully programmable.
Made in the exact process that the real formula one (£45,000) wheels are made and only the best materials and top quality switches from Leo Bodnar are used in its construction.
Production wheels will have Alcantara grips, leather or suede, clear extra led’s and Electrical Lifeline quick release bosses with adapters for all types of wheel base.
It will be come in its own flightcase for protection.
More updates to follow.
The Salamotorsport website will be up and running at the start of 2013.

The interesting thing is he's gonna definitely consider making other f1 replica wheels in the future.
There's currently adapters for ecci and g25/g27, but he will be making adapters for the CSR elite and also the CSW.
The lifeline quick release comes with an option of either wired 4 pin or 8 pin. The 8 pin will definitely come handy for wiring the 4 wires that connect to the extra vibration motors that come with the CSR-E rims and the CSW rims. And can be purchased pre wired from Scott by Sala Motorsport. There are no information as to when this will be launched as it is also very dependant on launch of the SLI-f1. All dimensions and details, Scott seems to be striving to get them as close as possible to the real lie counterpart. In my opinion, it looks worthy of a display piece, to be framed in a man cave!

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

He's even built his own autoclave for this
file.php

How long will you wait for mr.Bodnars Sli-F1?Will it ever appear to?Ask questions about ...I think that it is not in this form comes on the market.The problem seems to be bigger.:(

PGP

Upvote 0
Sala Motorsport.
I just got off the phone with John, I caught him before his morning coffee or tea even judging from his voice ;)

We will not have to wait for too long anymore and the pricing without the enclosure surprised me! :)

And a question btw, how do you 'control' the flex on the shifter? I mean, you manufacture the part, what if it is too stiff? Can you remove material where the flexing should occur and will that make it 'softer' so to speak?

Upvote 0
Good news there William about the SLI-F1! The shifter part on my Amalgam is really quite soft. The spring and the switch itself seem to provide the most of the resistance force. (I use Knitters for many reasons).
The work at Sala looks great so far!
By the way does anyone know what the little toggle switches do beind the grips at the top in the real car?? I was thinking of hooking them up to a remote controlled light system in my sim room to vary the ambient light condition in accordance with day/night/weather.

/Jessun

Upvote 0
There are two stickers at the top corners, one RF and one K - Rear flap (DRS) and Kers I believe. They are from what I can gather a hint for what the pushbuttons on the rear of the grips do. (These buttons and the top toggle switches I ask about are not found on the TM replica).
But I am not Alonso, so I don't know any of this for sure.

/Jessun

Upvote 0
There's funnily enough also a RF button on the front left. I think it's a simple duplicate to make sure the driver don't miss an opportunity to press it with the wheel at odd angles, but I don't know if this button is linked to some settings. On my wheel I connected the two in parallell so I can press any.

/Jessun

Upvote 0
Spoke to John at Leo Bodnar today and there still does not seem to be any sign of the release date for SLI-F1 (The only thing i am waiting for), He will though speak to Leo and get back to me. I will though strive to put even more detail in the product so that the delay time is well used.

Cheers
Scott Law
Sala Motorsport.

Upvote 0
Sure is kind of a waiting game with leo bodnar when it comes to releasing the sli-f1. I'm sure Scott has them all done already. Noticed the buttons have pretty much the same washers and nuts to match the actual f1 steering wheel.nice. Work of art indeed.

Upvote 0
Leo Bodnar seem to be a little closer to releasing the sli-f1 as far as i can tell, so i hope we can do some building soon.

We have 12mm thick 6 hole 70pcd adapters to lifeline quick release wired for your off the shelf wheels and UK to U.S 3 hole adapters to convert old wheels such as roso to the lifeline Sala Motorsport system.

Scott
Sala Motorsport.

Upvote 0
The finish line is now in sight as we have started to receive the parts that we have been waiting for and production can start back up to get the many wheels out. The first customers on the list will be contacted when the units are finished and packed in there flight cases.

Sala Motorsport.JPG

A few unfinished wheels..
Sala motorsport formula 1 steering wheel back.JPG
Sala motorsport leather grip.JPG
Leather Grips..
Sala motorsport alcantara and suede grips.JPG

Alcantara and Suede.
Sala motorsport f1 wheels.JPG

More updates soon.

Scott.
Sala Motorsport.

Last edited: