• "My mind is always racing." - Justin Bieber
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Need advice on PC upgrade

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by menacegtr, Oct 23, 2017.

1. menacegtr

menacegtr

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi guy's, i need some advice from you concerning upgrading my current PC. My motherboard is braking down, sound ports are going plus ethernet port is going. So this is what i have so far
    FX 8350 CPU
    Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard
    G1 gaming GTX 970 GPU
    16 GB ram
    Windows 10
    500GB 850 EVO pro + one SSD 1TB mechanical western HD
    Ok what i have is about £650 to spend, i already have a G1 Gaming 1070 still in box, so i need motherboard, cpu, ram. On overclockers there is this i7 6700k build with the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming Intel Z170 16GB ram and a Alpenföhn Matterhorn black air cooler For around the £650 delivered mark. Its a system that will be overclocked to 4.60GHz. 3 years warranty. I need to know if this is ok or is it to old? i don't know as i have always used AMD. I am not sure if an i7 is better than something like an i5 6600k 3.9GHZ or, i5 8600k coffelake?
    I feel like i need to go over to intel and use the new system for the next 3 or so years. I thought about Ryzen but i just want to move away and go intel as i have read so many things about a good i5-i7 system being so much smoother. Anyway guy's, as i said, i have £650 plus i have a 1070 waiting. Any good advice from people who know/have good pc experience as i don't want to make the wrong decisions. Plus i nearly forgot, i will only use new system as i am doing with my current system for sim racing right up to the current Project cars 2. No fps games or anything other than sim racing games. I thank anyone for advise on what to get
    Dave

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  2. MegamanAT

MegamanAT
    Premium

Ratings:
    +48
    i7 is the way to go. Do you have a link to this offer?

3. menacegtr

menacegtr

Ratings:
    +5
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  4. MegamanAT

MegamanAT
    Premium

Ratings:
    +48
    I won't buy an old Z170 unless you want to keep your current DDR3 RAM. Which could also be an option for you. Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3 or ASUS Z170M-E D3. They run DDR3 with Skylake and Kabylake. I have both of them. Gigabyte with i7-7700k and Asus with 6700k. Both running at 4,5GHz on all cores without any issues. Replaced 8380 and 9370. But if you plan to buy new DDR4 RAM too, I would strongley recommend you to by one of the new Coffelakes i5 or i7 and a Z370 Mainboard.

5. menacegtr

menacegtr

Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you MegamanAT. I didn't no you can use DDR3 on the Z170. It looks then i can no way upgrade to coffee lake i5/i7 and a Z370 board plus ram(16gb) with the money i am spending. Could you please give me an alternative way to get a nice setup for my money. I appreciate your advise

6. MegamanAT

MegamanAT
    Premium

Ratings:
    +48
  7. menacegtr

menacegtr

Ratings:
    +5
  8. menacegtr

menacegtr

Ratings:
    +5
    yes in leicestershire uk

9. MegamanAT

MegamanAT
    Premium

Ratings:
    +48
    yes, my z170 bundle is above, I will look at the z370 now

10. menacegtr

menacegtr

Ratings:
    +5
    i don't really want a micro atx board, i have a big full tower case, this will look silly in my case

11. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson
    I am the new Colin Mcrae I am Premium

Ratings:
    +3,050
    You could also look at some of Scan's motherboard bundles. And Ebuyer for that matter.

12. MegamanAT

MegamanAT
    Premium

Ratings:
    +48
    overpriced... If I look a the prices in Austria (everything in stock), I am at about 600€ = 540 GBP.

8600k: 299€
    https://geizhals.at/intel-core-i5-8...loc=de&hloc=pl&hloc=uk&hloc=eu&v=l#filterform

Mainboard: 120€
    https://geizhals.at/gigabyte-z370-hd3-a1699946.html?hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=pl&hloc=uk&hloc=eu

RAM: about 260€ for 16GB DDR4 2400
    https://geizhals.at/teamgroup-t-for....html?hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=pl&hloc=uk&hloc=eu

Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33: about 30€
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Fre...=1508765270&sr=8-1&keywords=arctic+freezer+33

And you could even save more by choosing different ram...

13. menacegtr

menacegtr

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for your help, am stumped, a lot to think about