1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NASCAR Racing 2003 Review

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RaceDepartment, Dec 19, 2012.

1. RaceDepartment

RaceDepartment
    Administrator Staff

View the Post on the Blog

• Like Like x 1
  2. There is more NASCAR 2k3 in iRacing than people want to admit...

That said, when i picked up this game the day it came out, I never thought that 10 years later i would still play it for hours a week.. Its survived 3 wheels, 4 computers, and i still have the original CD (not DVD!) that it came on.
    The new mods, and new tracks, and new graphic updates keep it going strong, 10 years later (well 10 in February).
    Its held up against any EA offering, and even makes the new console only game look silly.
    Yes it has a few short comings, but they can be overlooked when out on the track, racing at 200mph, door to door with the other 42 cars.
    You can pick it up and do quick races, or the full tour of 36, and its still a ton of fun to race.
    The community that still supports this game makes some amazing FREE mods with a level of detail that should be included in new programs.
    The cars handle as they should, the tracks look and feel right (with the bumps and all).

If you can get it, do it.. its worth every penny.

3. Oh and how could i forget- the paint shop! any car you can dream of can be painted with templates and imported into the game... and best of all its easy to do it (basic photoshop or draw experience needed).
    Oh and the endless screen shots and replays i could post.. lol

4. Liam Jenkins

Liam Jenkins
    FSR Commentator

Exactly!! I fell in love with it again recently :D

5. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Even after almost 10 years a great game. Can get a good prize for it if you still own a copy as the second-hand market for NR2003 went nuts at some time.

6. Tom

Tom
    Staff Emeritus Staff

90€. Sounds legit.

7. it was going for as high as 250 and iirc seeing one on ebay for 300... makes me wish i had a second copy.

8. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson
    Technical Administrator Staff Premium Member

Then I'm rich! This was my first PC racer of any kind and the title I purchased my first PC FFB wheel for, back in the days you could actually by them and other useful gaming equipment from your local PC World.

I was never any good at it. Nor did I like Nascar as a sport. It's still far from my favourite branch of motorsport but it was just so compelling and addictive. I always ran full length and it must have been 6 months before I finished a race. Probably another 12 before I completed one without eating the barriers/grass/pit-wall :D

NR2003 will always be the pedestal title for me. I arrived after GPL, the birth-child of it all for many around here.

Great read Liam, look forward to your choice of Christmas present. Bad year for that piece :D

Tom Endres sounds about right, you can have a new in wrapper from the US for $250 + delivery :O unlike GTL which Namco bandai sell for £0.99 :D

9. I am fortunate enough to own a copy of this in its original box with CD and manual. I wouldn't part with it though - it's the best racing game I've ever played.

I'm an F1 fan but this game introduced me to NASCAR. I started racing at Daytona and it was SO hard that at first my objective was to complete a lap then 2 laps... despite the difficulty it felt very real (I know, I know... how would I know it felt real if I've never driven a real NASCAR - well I have driven a real car and it felt a lot more like that, just much harder, than most sims).

When I bought Codemasters F12010 I was hugely disappointed - not because its such a bad game (it's a 7/10 for me) - its because I was shocked that seven years after NR2003, a game was released that except for the graphics wasn't in the same class as NR2003. Not even close.

The interface, the replay studio (yes - full replays, multiple cameras, full editing - awesome!), full car tweaking and set ups, easy-access to game and AI tweaking to get everything just how you like it. And it supports widescreen!!!

Eventually winning Daytona (and Taladega and Richmond and...) was one of the most satisfying moments in sim racing for me.

I have kept an old PC with Windows XP simply to keep playing this game (it won't run on Vista - or at least it won't for me - dunno about Windows 7/8).

Attention all racing game developers - and especially our good friends at Codemasters - hunt down this game, buy it and learn how its done.

You can't have mine though.

10. Martin Maaskant

Martin Maaskant
    Premium Member

In those days they knew how to make a sim. Papyrus was one of my favorites. They also had an indycar sim that. Nowadays Papyrus went up in Iracing. I never bought this one and I regret it. And I agree that Codemasters would learn a lot by looking at this sim and also the Microprose GP series.

11. Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan

Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan
    Mr. C Premium Member

great article Lyam, now ho is gonna donate me this game Dave Stephenson :)

12. Liam Jenkins

Liam Jenkins
    FSR Commentator

Thanks for the feedback guys,

13. Liam Jenkins

Liam Jenkins
    FSR Commentator

If you wanna run it on Windows 7 or Vista you can disable the DEP in command prompt and it works fine :)

14. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson
    Technical Administrator Staff Premium Member

LOL, I will never ever ever part with a copy of this game :D

15. NR2k3 certainly is an excellent choice, I can't believe nine years after this release none of the new ones can't beat this tittle.
    I had iRacing, but there is no IA so I prefer to race at NR2003. It's better to support who develop new cars, tracks and mods for NR instead paying every year expecting a great game and get disappointing.
    I'm not saying iRacing isn't a great game, actually is better then NR at physics, graphics. The FFB is almost the same. But the NR AI is almost perfect.

LONG LIFE TO NR2k3!!!

16. Re installed my copy after reading this and a couple of the new mods! I forgot how much fun and how good this sim is. They were way ahead of their time.

17. Liam Jenkins

Liam Jenkins
    FSR Commentator

Couldn't agree more! :D I'm happy I have breathed some life into the sim and you enjoyed the article :)

18. It says a lot about our hobby that it's possible to be nostalgic about old titles. But this really was the heyday wasn't it. I've never enjoyed online as much as single player and it was never done better than with this absolutely classic. You can step into an iRacing stock car and still totally feel the lineage from NR2K3 - and, as others have said, the old game actually has AI. The modding has never stopped and, with Eutechnyx underperforming so woefully, there's a big gap in the market for a Nascar sim on PC. Which reminds me - whatever happened to the long promised ARCA Sim Racing X Patch? - seems to have been in beta forever.

19. Just could never understand why Nascar racing was "shelved" by so many leagues over the years?
    I started my sim racing with Nascar 2003 and have tried so many leagues who sooner or later give up on it. As all the comments above, it's one of the most exciting and enjoyable series still out there. As I do not particulary like iRacing as such, but if they are...or planning to run the series, i would join just for Nascar.

Viva Nascar Viva!!!

20. played two full season against AI in this game, loved it to death before online racing came along and even the best possible AI seemed kind of dull in comparison. The best feature for me was, that you could stop and save the game at any point in the race, which was a real boon for a family man like me with kids still rather small at the time :)
    Great writeup, sure brought back some memories