1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Featured NASCAR Heat Evolution Released for Xbox One, PS4 and PC

Discussion in 'NASCAR Heat Evolution' started by Paul Jeffrey, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Yes - Xbox One

3.7%
  2. Yes - PS4

1.2%
  3. Yes - PC

11.0%
  4. No, still undecided

31.9%
  5. No, not interested

52.1%
  1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    Sim Racing News Editor Staff Premium Member

NASCAR Heat 8.jpg
    Dusenberry Martin Racing and Monster Games have today made available to purchase the highly anticipated NASCAR Heat Evolution for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Heat Evolution marks the highly anticipated return of the franchise to Monster Games, the studio behind the widely acknowledged genre leading NASCAR Dirt to Daytona, Monster Games and DMR have been working on NASCAR Heat Evolution solidly for the past 12 months in an effort to satisfy the long suffering NASCAR fans with a game worthy of the highly popular American sport.

NASCAR Heat Evolution launches today with a full representation of the 2016 NASCAR Xfinity Series car and track roster, boasting over 40 drivers and the 23 official NASCAR circuits, Heat Evolution is the only official NASCAR 2016 game available for console owners.

Check out the various developer diaries to learn more about NASCAR Heat Evolution:
    Developer Diary #2 - Gameplay
    Developer Diary #3 - Game Modes
    Developer Diary #4 - Tracks
    Developer Diary #5 - Cars

Featuring over 40 drivers, all 23 licensed NASCAR Sprint Cup Series tracks, and a variety of gameplay modes, NASCAR Heat Evolution is the first authentic NASCAR game for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

New Consoles:The first full NASCAR video game makes its debut on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
    New Gameplay Engine:Rebuilt from the ground up, NASCAR Heat Evolution brings back the fun and excitement of NASCAR you know and love.
    New AI:Whether you’re a rookie or a trained racing veteran, the dynamic AI system adjusts to your skill level.
    New Tracks:Daytona has risen, Colossus is fired up at Bristol, and your other favorite tracks are ready for the 2016 season.
    New Damage:With the all-new damage model, Darlington Stripes have never looked better, if you earn ‘em.
    New Drivers:Matt DiBenedetto, Chris Buescher, and others make their NASCAR video game debut.
    New Online:The online gameplay system has been rebuilt to ensure fun, competitive, and fast racing.

Recommended PC Specifications:

Processor: Intel Core i5 4690 or AMD FX 8320
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: Nvidia GTX 980 or AMD R9 Fury
    DirectX: Version 11
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Storage: 10 GB available space
    Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Soundcard
    Additional Notes: AMD HD5870 or better, HD6870 or better, HD7790 or better, R7 260 or better, R9 260 or better Nvidia GTX460 or better Series, GTX560 or better, GTX650Ti or better, GTX750 or better, GTX950 or better

NASCAR Heat Evolution is available now for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC, retailing at $59.99 in the US and €69.99 in Europe. Steam PC copies of the game retail for £44.99 in the UK.

NASCAR Heat 2.jpg

Although I have not yet had chance to try the game for myself, initial feedback and reviews seem less than positive by those who already have their copy. So far 35 user reviews have been logged on the Steam sales page for the game, with 14 marked as positive and the remaining 23 receiving the negative rating.

Head on over to the RaceDepartment NASCAR Heat Evolution sub forum to discuss the hot topics related to this game. Have a read of the latest news and share your experiences with fellow fans as NASCAR Heat Evolution hits the shelves.

NASCAR Heat 1.jpg NASCAR Heat 2.jpg NASCAR Heat 4.jpg NASCAR Heat 5.jpg NASCAR Heat 6.jpg NASCAR Heat 7.jpg NASCAR Heat 3.jpg

Have you tried the game yet? What are your first impressions? Still sitting on the fence? Which platform did you purchase the game for? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  2. Was surprised that it was already out, and was partly surprised by the not-so-big red "Mostly Negative" rating when I checked the store page on Steam.

I think I'll have to wait much longer...

3. Kris Vickers

Kris Vickers
    Hardware Staff

I can`t believe the amount of games that are releasing with DLC already available at launch date.

it`s plainly not DLC, but features they should have in the game but decide to charge extra for.

£44.99 for the base game and already ~£16 worth of DLC? No thanks.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

I'm pretty disappointed from what I read about it so far. I kind of fancied a nice offline NASCAR experience.

Anyone tried it yet? @Lars Hansen looking at you buddy :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I was expecting the developers to send a copy to RD for in depth review.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Had some hope for this one, unfortunately It does appear to be getting a lot of heat from unhappy people on Facebook and Steam... I might have tried it if it were cheaper and had good wheel support, but alas, no ...

7. By the way, RD why not making YouTube reviews to complement the written reviews? It would be really nice. Video is the way forward.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Utterly dreadful. I bought it on Steam once and got a refund, only to discover via YouTube that features such as simulation and manual gear selection were inexplicably hidden in a two option advanced screen accessed by an X button press. Bought it again as I thought maybe I've judged it harshly, but got another refund as it was still terrible.

Honestly, this is a step backward from the appalling Eutechnyx games, it's that bad.

Squarely aimed at the five year old console audience. So disappointing as the hype suggested a worthwhile improvement over recent Nascar games.

The AI is more challenging, but not in a way that realistically replicates driving in a pack of 700+ bhp beasts. They are merely programed as road blocks. Worse still, the AI will almost always come out better off from any sort of clash with the player car. Truly woeful.

At least Steam's refund policy allowed me to try it at no risk, but really how does stuff like this get released to a discerning PC audience who are going to write toxic reviews from the get go.

Didn't buy any of the DLC, and frankly that tells us a lot about the attitude of this new developer, making a wide range of expensive liveries available on day one. Yuck.

Avoid.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen
    RDs Ion-Engine....0-60 in six days. Staff Premium Member

• Like Like x 2
  10. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Ha! I knew you'd end up buying it :D

So seeing as I’m at work and can’t listen to the audio, give us a clue... good ? Bad? Dreadful ?

My guess is the latter, but I'm an optimist by nature so remain positive :D

11. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Judging by the reviews so far, it's probably wise they didn’t!!!

Because it's a lot of extra work and I have a voice made for the written word :D

• Haha Haha x 4
  12. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen

IMO it's not as bad as other people make it out to be.
    Is it the successor to NR2003? Definitely not.
    But it is a vast improvement on the Eutechnyx offerings? Oh yes.
    I think it in large part depends on what you're expecting. Make no mistake, this is a console game that got converted to PC, not vice-versa.
    As such, there'll be a lot of features missing that PC gamers have come to expect.
    No FOV adjustment, very little in the FFB tuning department, very few graphics options and so on.
    It's a game meant for jump-in-and-play, it's not in any respect a hardcore-sim.
    In the vid I make the comparison to F1 2016 (cue the ingrates throwing popcorn from the galleries) in that it's much more about selling the experience than having it 100% simulated.

So, in order of appearance:
    Graphics: Servicable. Nothing special (console port, remember?), but they look nice enough.
    Don't expect ridiculously shiny cars, with a ton of post-processing filters and you'll do fine.

Controls: This is where most people seem to have trouble. And it does need some work.
    My T500 didn't even get recognized, so I couldn't start the game without first editing an obscure text-file, definig axes and buttons.
    And it doesn't tell you which axes are supposed to do what, so it was a bit hit'n'miss. :D
    I did eventually get it to work, but an in-game section to define and fine-tune the controls is sorely needed.
    The upside of that debacle is that I figured out (by necessity) how to redefine buttons which you can't do in-game, so there's that. :roflmao:
    Anyway, once I got it set up, the FFB isn't at all bad. It's definitely not AMS/R3E/AC levels, but it does the job as far as I'm concerned.
    I don't seem to have the floaty feeling that other people are complaining about, and compared to NR15 it's much, much better.
    The cars in NR15 I couldn't even control. Literally, I've yet to finish a race in NR15.
    I will say that I usually run in Normal physics mode (since I suck at ovals), and I'll freely admit that once you switch over to Sim-mode the FFB does get a little wonky.
    Still think it's better than NR15 though. :)

Sound: See graphics above. They do the job, but they're not going to wow you.

Gameplay: Unsure. This is still very early days, and I'm in the middle of a real-life kitchen renovation so I sneak off to do a few races while e.g. the paint is drying. :D
    So I haven't even looked at the career mode yet (arguably the biggest selling point of the sim), and I've only done 2% races meaning no flags/pitstops.
    But the races are great fun. The AI is challenging, and it's aware of you so it doesn't smack into you.
    The adaptive AI (which is default) does take a little long to get to competitive level especially on super-speeedways but it will eventually get there.
    The races in the vid aren't really representative since I had no Track Rating at Daytona yet so the AI was set to the slowest pace. But I've had plenty of fun races once the AI got up to speed.
    The damage-model needs some work though (again, console port). It's very forgiving even on Full Damage, and you pretty much have to work at it to kill the car.
    Although with my skills that's not necessarily a bad thing. :whistling:

So, in closing I think DMR is being run over by their own hype-train.
    It's a fun game, but it's not the sim that they've alluded to.
    That said, DMR has a good history of game-support so I expect a lot of the issues will eventually be fixed.
    So if you're still on the fence, wait a while.
    There are issues to be solved, and at present I think the game is over-priced.
    So give it 3-4 months for the patches and the inevitable Steam sale.
    But I really don't think it's as bad as a lot of other people are making it out to be.

One final thing: The DLC policy.
    That's one thing that really irks me. No the policy, but peoples reaction to it.
    Hate it or love it, DLCs are the name of the game these days, no matter what franchise we're talking.
    It's a simple fact of life.

But......saying a DLC should've been in the original game is just wrong.
    The developers make a game, and set a price for it. They also get to set the prices for any eventual DLC.
    Oddly enough, most companies are in this business to make money.
    You, as a consumer, get to look at the pricing structure and decide for yourself whether or not you think it's worth the price of admission.
    It really is that simple.
    So please stop making claims that this or that 'should've been included in the base-game'
    Trying to convince people that you're entitled to something for free really makes you look petty.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen

You and me both.
    You should probably be thankful you don't have sound on that video. :roflmao::roflmao:

• Haha Haha x 1
  14. Lorenzo Bonder

Lorenzo Bonder
    #forçaChape Staff

I Could do that if I had the editing skills. I just have to put my voice acting techniques (lol I don't have any techniques at all I just like to do voices :p) to work.

• Haha Haha x 2
  15. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen

Then again, I could just do the narration in Danish, to the bewilderment of the whole of RD, except a select few. :D

• Haha Haha x 1
  16. Well, back in the day we used to get something called a paintkit with titles like this. This had a major advantage for developers, in that it encouraged the community to get invested in the title. This is surely a key reason why NR2003 continues to be a relevant oval racer to this day and, in almost every respect, is superior to Nascar Heat Evolution from a sim/gameplay perspective.

Rather than charging extra for these color schemes, the developer might have considered adding these into the game to bolster its wafer-thin feature set.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Keith Joyce

Keith Joyce
    Stercus accidit Premium Member

I saw an extensive car setup screen in one of the YouTube vids which the presenter had found by chance buried elsewhere in the navigation...:coffee:

18. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen

It's hardly buried.
    Once you start the race-session it clearly tells you what buttons to push to change the set-up.
    Granted, it's not the sleekest menu design but as long as you actually read what is on the screen, it works fine. :D

19. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen

Sure, it would've been nice of them.
    Which brings me back to my earlier point. Game-companies prefer to make money.
    So why would they give away for free what they expect they can earn extra money on?
    Even better, assuming that DMR have acquired the license for a few years (I don't know, but it seems plausible) why would they add in paint-schemes that allows people to do next years liveries, when they will presumably be trying to sell the 2017 game as well?

Like it or not, things have changed quite a bit since 2003, and it's a much more cut-throat gaming world out there.

• Haha Haha x 1