• "Mwoah" - Kimi Räikkönen
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Featured NASCAR Heat 2 Updated

Discussion in 'NASCAR Heat 2' started by Paul Jeffrey, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +11,934
    NASCAR Heat 2 Updated.jpg
    NASCAR Heat 2 on PC has been updated today, adding a nice selection of updates and fixes to the latest officially licenced NASCAR game.

Developed by 704Games and forming the second release of the newly rebooted NASCAR Heat franchise, Heat 2 already looks like a considerable improvement over the original release of last year, adding more content, refinements in key areas such as playability and physics and the return of some of the often requested features from earlier in the life cycle of NASCAR games, Heat 2 is already proving to be a solid title and reasonably well received by the sim racing community.

Thankfully for those hopeful of seeing the game reach its maximum potential, it looks like 704Games have taken some time out of releasing and announcing DLC content to put time into updating the game, with a new patch released earlier today that looks to address some current issues and adds plenty of new features and support for players to enjoy.

You can check out the new build update notes below:
    • New input system, rebuilt from the ground up. Note: Users may have to re-map their controllers. Do this in "Options -> Controls -> Configure Controls."
    • Many wheels, XInput devices, and keyboard have default configurations already set up. These should work when attached, without extra configuration.
    • If your controller does not work when attached, use the keyboard to navigate to "Options -> Controls -> Configure Controls" to set it up.
    • Supports using multiple input devices at once. (For instance: steer with wheel, shift with shifter, gas/brake with pedals, control overlays with keyboard).
    • Deadzones can be configured in "Options -> Controls -> Other Settings."
    • Most DirectInput/XInput devices should be supported. If a device didn't work before, try it again.
    • Supports all buttons on devices, no longer limited to 20 buttons.
    • Now can fully configure XBOX controllers.
    • Can now assign controls to discrete functions in game. "Accept" no longer has to also control the "Race Info" display, for instance.
    • Can assign buttons/keys to steer, throttle, brake, clutch, etc. Just assign "Digital Steering Left/Right", "Digital Throttle", "Digital Brake", etc.
    • We now support having more than one force feedback device attached to your computer.
    • Player 1 and Player 2 can use different devices of any type; they don't have to both use gamepads or both use wheels. Set this in "Options -> Controls -> Other Settings."
    • Keyboard is officially supported.
    Other notes:
    • Fixed potential game hitch when spotter speaks.
    • Now award speed points for challenges.
    • Display purse on the race card for career.
    • Fixed "Race All Tracks" achievement.
    • Better pre-race camera animations in multiplayer.
    • Implemented some missing UI sounds.
    • In Career, if you race cleanly, your Rivals anger level will slowly decay over time.
    • Added new victory anthems.
    • Tied Victory Anthems to Effects Volume.
    • Improved offline race results for the AI.
    • Made top-end AI more difficult at some tracks.
    • Changed AI qualify logic.
    • Support "strict" yellow flags in single player. Set this in "Game Settings."
    • Fixed some crash bugs.
    • Other minor bug fixes and improvements.

NASCAR Heat 2 is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC now.

NASCAR Heat 2 Updated 2.jpg NASCAR Heat 2 Updated 3.jpg NASCAR Heat 2 Updated 4.jpg

Want to get involved in the NASCAR Heat 2 RaceDepartment community? Head over to the NASCAR Heat 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get yourself involved in the conversation today!

Have you tried the new update yet? What do you think of the game so far? Happy with the progression from the original title? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Pywackett-Barchetta

Pywackett-Barchetta

Ratings:
    +66
    New settings, speed points counting on challenges, remappable controls; sounds like improvement across the board! Definitely makes me much less hesitant to pick this up knowing they're actually fixing this stuff as they go.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Chobonator

Chobonator

Ratings:
    +112
    Technically, I could rebuy it and play another 1h44min and still be able to get a refund. Did they do something about the road feel? It was really hard to put the truck where I wanted at Mosport for example. :/

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rob

Rob
    XBO: OctoberDusk06 Premium

Ratings:
    +3,067
    I think that's technically called "NASCAR" or "driving a hog". :)

• Haha Haha x 1
  5. Chobonator

Chobonator

Ratings:
    +112
    I know what you mean, but there was so little detail in the force feedback...

6. Rob

Rob
    XBO: OctoberDusk06 Premium

Ratings:
    +3,067
    Yea, I agree...the first one was weak in this area, but Paul seems to think the ffb is improved. Since I could stomach the first one in SP, I will probably like this one. Esp. since SMS screwed the pooch with ovals again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. @apocapollo

@apocapollo

Ratings:
    +72
    There's not going to be much detail to the force feedback. I've seen the wireframe for some of the tracks. They don't laser scan so it's pretty basic. But they did patch in support for deadzones so that's nice.

• Like Like x 2
  8. michelforest

michelforest

Ratings:
    +2
    I would buy this title if it was possible to save a race. I don't have time to race a 50% length race in one sitting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Peter Hooper

Peter Hooper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +8,302
    That's a big issue for me too. I actually really enjoyed the first one but had to give up on it for that very reason. No save possible even between quali session and race so that just made it even worse. I did ask the devs about it and they indicated that it would be in this time so it's a big disappointment for me for sure.

10. Catalysis

Catalysis

Ratings:
    +13
    It's so difficult to do a full race in a single sitting, so I agree they badly need this, as well as allowing us to drive during cautions and pit stops etc. I still enjoy the title, but it could be so, so much better.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Peter Hooper

Peter Hooper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +8,302
    Exactly. It's not often I get the chance to sit and race for more than an hour at a time and other than just leaving a race paused, which means I can't use the console for anything else, there's no alternative.

12. mceci1

mceci1

Ratings:
    +11
    How about 704 make the store open in Australia, after all, we paid $80 for it, and it is available here

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ruy Horta

Ruy Horta

Ratings:
    +19
    Cannot get normal smooth performance with NH2, basically have given up trying.

Shame because the game has potential, LOD and AA are sub par for a PC game, but the racing can be fun at higher difficulty levels and longer races.

Maybe Monster will fix this, I hope they will, but in the mean time I'm done wasting time trying.

14. Ruy Horta

Ruy Horta

Ratings:
    +19
    +1 NH2 gets better with longer races (if you ignore pit ai), but no save limits the times when you can run a 50-100% race.

I'm having other issues, but this would be my first wish if I didn't have a video performance problem.

15. Michael Watts

Michael Watts
    XB1 Gamertag: michaei watts

Ratings:
    +1,144
    @Paul Jeffrey With this game continuously getting better is there anyway we can get a NASCAR Heat 2 League section?

• Haha Haha x 1
  16. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson
    Retro PC Sim Racer Premium

Ratings:
    +3,047
    I think we have more chance of a NR2003 club before that.................:rolleyes:;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Michael Watts

Michael Watts
    XB1 Gamertag: michaei watts

Ratings:
    +1,144
    Not all of us can still play a 14 yr old game on PC...

18. Ruy Horta

Ruy Horta

Ratings:
    +19
    The last update, well it is some small tweaks and a new in game controller setup, which at this point repeats history - NHE basically got some small tweaks and a separate controller setup tool, nothing significant after that. NH2 is basically the same core game with better AI routines, with the same visual performance and graphics settings.

The sad truth being that NR2003 is still the better NASCAR racing game. With the power of current level pc and console systems it would be a relatively easy job to create a good NASCAR title, especially if they license an existing racing game engine. Instead dev/pubs keep their focus on console market, but with games that are just not good enough to capture any market.

The graphics settings and quality of NH2 are a real disgrace for 2017, keeping in mind that this is their second game using the same engine. It may look good in 4k, what doesn't, but at 1080p with the in game settings it looks terrible compared to similar racing titles made by the competition - not all of them big budget either. I just don't understand the concept behind these games, not enough sim, not enough arcade, not enough refinement, not enough performance, too much detail where it doesn't matter, too little detail where it does. Summed up the last two devs for NASCAR games have not been up to the task, nor have the last three publishers. Just a waste of a good franchise.

I'd really be surprised if the last 2 games sold enough copies to got their money back.

Otoh, iirc NHE had an extremely short development time and NH2 was made on top of that, so maybe the cost was relatively low.

Keep in mind that I actually would love to see this title succeed and I am sorry to be so bitter, but if you decide to go for such a big license as NASCAR make your game worth the legacy that goes along with that title.

NR2003 was probably the last time when they achieved that level of quality that the brand deserves.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2