1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Mystery Markings

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by still_guns, Jun 8, 2016.

1. I'm perplexed by the presence of a strange marking on every F1 car, in more or less the same place. In the video below, you can see what looks like an 'N' or a 'Z' inside a circle on almost every single car (save for some blurrly footage). What purpose does this marking serve for it to be present on every F1 car for over 15 years?

2. Andrew

Andrew
    Global Moderator Staff Premium Member

The 'N' indicates the presence of a button which when pressed puts the car's transmission in Neutral. This is to assist the flag marshals in recovering cars which have expired somewhere out on the circuit and have to be pushed off or away from the track - or to a point where a crane can grab them.

Similarly, the 'E' is the emergency cut off button for all electrical power in the car, so the presence of that electricity doesn't do anything potentially harmful to anyone involved in a vehicle recovery situation, or more importantly so the car doesn't electrocute anyone who might be trying to rescue the driver from the wreck, or by sparking start a fuel fire.
    n.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  3. Omer Said

Omer Said
    Weresloth Staff Premium Member

Actually, "E" represents Ecclestone's domain and every team has to include that letter on their cars. I have no idea about the "N," but there are many rumours regarding Nilluminati and such organizations.

• Haha Haha x 5
  4. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43
    Nice apex, I'll take it! Premium Member

Nope, that E is the extinguisher. If you were out there trying to turn the electrics off and you pressed that button, you'd be a very unpopular marshal.

The electric cutoff button looks more like this
    [​IMG]

5. Andrew

Andrew
    Global Moderator Staff Premium Member

6. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43
    Nice apex, I'll take it! Premium Member

I've got my info from being a marshal for 6 years, I know what markings are what

• Haha Haha x 2
  7. Tobias Röhner

Tobias Röhner
    Germany's greatest Indycar Fan. Staff Premium Member

Will there be a Heineken button on any cars?

• Haha Haha x 1
  8. Timmieturner12

Timmieturner12
    Premium Member

Ecclestone seemingly changed his motto from "think before you drive" to "drink before you drive"

9. JamesU

JamesU
    Premium Member

Weirdly enough, after reading this thread i was watching P2 and Alonso reaches out of his cockpit to push the N button so he can just roll into the pits!

• Like Like x 1
  10. JamesU

JamesU
    Premium Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1