My thoughts about the forum and the community

BhZ

Simdriver for Singularity Racing
Lately i've been particularly active on this forum and i took part to many discussions. One in particular got my attention. It was about the fact that fast drivers don't help rookies during practice. I think it's true, but at the same time i think many rookies don't even ask. I raced a lot recently on RD and i think i remember just one question in something like 8 races: "what wings are you guys running?". That was the only question that someone asked during practice. This got me thinking about the community and the forum and i noticed that the majority of the posts here on RD are about peripheral issues, graphical issues, news, random stuff. Now, in a simracing forum i'd expect more questions about cars, tracks, driving tecnique...Asking question in a 30 minutes practice just before the race won't make you a better driver for the simple reason that if you are not already a great driver, 30 minutes are barely enough to stay on track and possibly find good braking points. What will make you a better driver is to ask question on the forum, get an answer to it and apply in an offline session what you just learned until it becomes natural.
Everyone is free to do whatever he wants and race every night with a different car in a different track, but my advice is to take at least half of the days you'd race to just choose a car and a track and practice. Push the car, be curious about where is the limit of it. That is the only way to actually improve. Racing every day doesn't give you the time to get confidence with a car or a track, so you will improve, but at a much slower speed and you won't have time to work on the setup, because it's useless to work on the setup if you still have to find the limit of the car.
So my request is as follows: Ask about anything related to a car or track here on the forum, even if it's a stupid question, there are people here ready to help.
I also have a suggestion for the RD staff: In order to improve the quality of racing on RD, it would be cool in my opinion to have nights where instead of racing, you guys set up a server with a car and a track (possibly a combo that will be used in the next RD event) where people can sign up (like in a normal race) and practice for a couple of hours. So you have some sort of "practice event" where people willing to improve can learn more and where hopefully some of the fast guys (which usually practice a lot) will come as well and help.
Just to be sure, since english is not my first language, i want to specify that this is just my opinion and advice to try to improve the quality of driving. Let me know what are your thoughts about it and if you have other ideas that could make this forum a better place.

What i meant (this is getting repetitive) is that if you sign up for a race, instead of asking for the setup once the practice start, have the courtesy to ask it before so that we can then focus on ourselves in those 30 minutes of practice.

Which is sound advice. Just keep in mind not everyone has the time to do that beforehand, I know there's been several times where I'm scrambling to get home in time for the race and didn't have time to discover that my setup was crap for that track.

First of all, a setup is just a little part. Anyone with a good amount of hours on a sim will never lose to a rookie with a good setup. Second of all, when i started playing ac i knew nothing about cars, so that's not needed to make a good setup. The guides are, in my opinion, way too simplified and they don't help much, which is why people should ask question instead of saying "i cant make a setup" because it just require to try and get a feeling of what happens.
I cleared a lot of Special Events on Gold. The time gained from default to a custom setup is quite high. Rookie can beat veteran with a good setup versus a bad one. Race cars are so easy to drive that it's impossible to be 4~5sec off pace & the only reason why it's uncompetitive is simply because of the car setup.

I did a setup guide on steam, that is easy to understand for gamers & it's specifically made for AC using the official tyre app. No need for subscription nor have to pay premium to read it.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=912315488

Which is sound advice. Just keep in mind not everyone has the time to do that beforehand, I know there's been several times where I'm scrambling to get home in time for the race and didn't have time to discover that my setup was crap for that track.
With all due respect, it's hard to believe you do not have 3 minutes to use your phone and type "Can anyone share his setup?". Still, that's is not the point of the OP. I cared more about a possibility to learn more as a community. I see people starting to not give me any kind of respect, which i thought wasn't allowed. Probably is better to forget this post since it has become a way to attack me instead of a normal discussion (not you obviously, thanks for your feedback).

With all due respect, it's hard to believe you do not have 3 minutes to use your phone and type "Can anyone share his setup?". Still, that's is not the point of the OP. I cared more about a possibility to learn more as a community. I see people starting to not give me any kind of respect, which i thought wasn't allowed. Probably is better to forget this post since it has become a way to attack me instead of a normal discussion (not you obviously, thanks for your feedback).

Now you're just telling everyone what they should do in your own mind, how they should use their time before and after a race. Respect goes two ways you know. You've been calling less skilled members lazy and not wanting to improve, exactly how do you believe you should be respected for your opinions after comments like that?

I was referring to sitting down and figuring out how to setup the car, not just getting a setup from someone. I must have misunderstood your comment, apologies. And yes, I never meant any disrespect towards you and I think others have just mistook your tone due to the language barrier (it came across a little harsh at first but I eventually realized that wasn't your intention and you were only trying to help).

Now you're just telling everyone what they should do in your own mind, how they should use their time before and after a race. Respect goes two ways you know. You've been calling less skilled members lazy and not wanting to improve, exactly how do you believe you should be respected for your opinions after comments like that?
The point is that "i do not have time" and "i prefere to spend my time differently" are two different things and some of you are saying they are the same thing. The truth is that if you never improve is because you prefere to race instead of train, which is totally fine imho. Just don't say you do not have time. As i said before, you decided i'm a **** and whatever i will say, you will interpret it the way you want so that i can keep being unrespectfull.
And last thing, let's say i lacked of respect...your move is to behave like i do? It seems very clever.

I was referring to sitting down and figuring out how to setup the car, not just getting a setup from someone. I must have misunderstood your comment, apologies. And yes, I never meant any disrespect towards you and I think others have just mistook your tone due to the language barrier (it came across a little harsh at first but I eventually realized that wasn't your intention and you were only trying to help).
No problem, anyway you've been the most polite possible and thanks for have taken the time to understand what i meant since apparently i had difficulties making myself clear. Sadly from this post will just come out that i'm a bad person.

@BhZ I understand the underlying sentiment you're trying to convey here, noble as it is it will not be well received by all. I made a similar rant/post in the premium lounge. Simple fact is that you have many people with differing opinions/life characteristics/etc. along the spectrum of sim racing or sim racers.

While I too would like more to see the community talk more about setups, how to extract the tenths, different lines etc (how there's a hidden tenth or so in a GT3 car at Monza just by taking a different line in the easiest of turns, found it by accident on lap nr 5,543 in AC alone). Instead there's more talk about how a Panamera takes up a car spot in the game, or why the AI at max settings doesnt behave like like my brother @Dragos Haba and kick my ass. Those things are irrelevant to me, but they are relevant to others whose circumstances are different than ours in an innumerable amount of ways. Further, I know the value in finding things our by yourself, through practice. Setups are not a dark art, they take time, research and testing. I can appreciate a good setup much more now with my past experience then when I was new to the genre/game. However they do make a difference and whoever asks may get it. IMO the setup problem is much deeper, but that's for another time ;P

What's important is that here at RD if you want to improve and get better, truly, then you have the resources via setup archives, human interaction and online practice races/leagues. If you want it, it is there. Ask for it.

I also agree that some querries by single time posters about "I need a setup for Spa with the 488 for a 2:08 lap time for my league race" are not the type of person that will get help, and in general is not the type of individual that is a usual resident of RD.

@BhZ I understand the underlying sentiment you're trying to convey here, noble as it is it will not be well received by all. I made a similar rant/post in the premium lounge. Simple fact is that you have many people with differing opinions/life characteristics/etc. along the spectrum of sim racing or sim racers.

While I too would like more to see the community talk more about setups, how to extract the tenths, different lines etc (how there's a hidden tenth or so in a GT3 car at Monza just by taking a different line in the easiest of turns, found it by accident on lap nr 5,543 in AC alone). Instead there's more talk about how a Panamera takes up a car spot in the game, or why the AI at max settings doesnt behave like like my brother @Dragos Haba and kick my ass. Those things are irrelevant to me, but they are relevant to others whose circumstances are different than ours in an innumerable amount of ways. Further, I know the value in finding things our by yourself, through practice. Setups are not a dark art, they take time, research and testing. I can appreciate a good setup much more now with my past experience then when I was new to the genre/game. However they do make a difference and whoever asks may get it. IMO the setup problem is much deeper, but that's for another time ;P

What's important is that here at RD if you want to improve and get better, truly, then you have the resources via setup archives, human interaction and online practice races/leagues. If you want it, it is there. Ask for it.

I also agree that some querries by single time posters about "I need a setup for Spa with the 488 for a 2:08 lap time for my league race" are not the type of person that will get help, and in general is not the type of individual that is a usual resident of RD.
I understand what you are saying. Still it's sad that seems impossible to have a simracing forum more focused on setups and cars than anything else...

@BhZ While I too would like more to see the community talk more about setups, how to extract the tenths, different lines etc (how there's a hidden tenth or so in a GT3 car at Monza just by taking a different line in the easiest of turns, found it by accident on lap nr 5,543 in AC alone).
I'm still waiting an in-depth explanation of how you those Monza times Haba-san.[/QUOTE]

On topic about the topic. I have some disagreements on what is posted here but Cris summed up best what I was wanting to talk.

I understand what you are saying. Still it's sad that seems impossible to have a simracing forum more focused on setups and cars than anything else...

As you've seen in many threads and some interactions with people online, your type of racer is a rare breed. There are many that just want push button solutions not just in simracing but other aspects of life as well, there are also ones that are just too afraid to ask or to even race online because they are not good enough which is a shame because I've met some of the nicest fastest ppl on here.

In summary, just be there for ppl when they need help if you want to, we all have choice. I for one appreciate that you brought up the issue. It shows that there's some change but not much.

I think that to be able to feel the nuances between the given setups or to be able to make one on Your own is only possible after you are good enough at driving. Otherwise you'll run inconsistent laptimes and you'll never know if a lap is faster due to the changes you made in the garage or you just managed to find better lines on key-points of the track. So first learn the basics, the track, the limits of the given car and only after all these things comes the setup magic.

I think that to be able to feel the nuances between the given setups or to be able to make one on Your own is only possible after you are good enough at driving. Otherwise you'll run inconsistent laptimes and you'll never know if a lap is faster due to the changes you made in the garage or you just managed to find better lines on key-points of the track. So first learn the basics, the track, the limits of the given car and only after all these things comes the setup magic.

@BhZ Here's one of your breed.

The correct way to do things IMHO. Bottom up, seem easy right?!?!?!11

Agreed Zoltan, full marks.

@BhZ Here's one of your breed.

The correct way to do things IMHO. Bottom up, seem easy right?!?!?!11

Agreed Zoltan, full marks.
That's exactly the same advice i gave 2 days ago in another thread. Ok, so...what comes to mind now is maybe to open a thread to discuss about how to organize between those who want to improve? Or does that sound bad in any way?

That's exactly the same advice i gave 2 days ago in another thread. Ok, so...what comes to mind now is maybe to open a thread to discuss about how to organize between those who want to improve? Or does that sound bad in any way?

No it doesn't sound bad at all. Make threads where that is welcome, totally up to you, build it and they will come. It might not be right away, but it will happen. Things take time, just like how you got to where you are in life, simracing, it was not overnight and at times it was a struggle. It's also normal that individuals not on your wavelength won't pick up what you're saying precisely, so be mindful of that. Hopefully I can catch you in some races if time opens up, that's one currency I dont have a lot of.

It needs to be noted that RD, and its club races threads can be used for this purpose and more than just a "sign me up" sound chamber. Since those threads are used for online racing, IMO the main tool that will make you better "racing with humans", they can be used for constructive inputs to improve the general level of racing. Why not start there.

It needs to be noted that RD, and its club races threads can be used for this purpose and more than just a "sign me up" sound chamber. Since those threads are used for online racing, IMO the main tool that will make you better "racing with humans", they can be used for constructive inputs to improve the general level of racing. Why not start there.

One problem with that is that your audience is only the people who have signed up for that race and shortly after the race is done the thread may die off. It's a good place to start though.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back