My solution for VR fogging/heat!!! VR MUST READ!

so, i've solved a main issue for rift/vr in general. sometimes i'll do a 90 minute race. during that time the display gets rather warm and will usually fog up, creating numerous issues with visibility as well as comfort. i also run into this doing the more vigorous games such as superhot.

what i did was purchase an aquarium air pump at my local pet store along with 25 feet of tubing, i already had a Y connector but those are available as well. you put the hose on the pump and secure it to your cable however you like, i used velcro cable straps. then you run it up the top strap and put the Y connector near the part where the headset joins the top strap, using each side of the y you run it down the part where the headphones are and basically pull a little bit of the foam away from the face guard, not removing it but just leaving a small opening for the tubing to pass through. i used medical oxygen tubing as it's smaller diameter and more flexible. then i just put the tubing slightly inside the headset and point it either up or down. the tiny pump is so quiet you don't even hear it running.

it has completely eliminated any fogging and drastically reduced the heat issues! it also just makes it a little less stuffy having a small amount of air passing through the opening.
i initially bought a 5 gallon appropriate pump, but had to swap it out for a 40 as the amount of air wasn't enough to to the job. the tubing kind of stinks like plastic but it's much better, maybe soaking it or leaving it unwrapped outside or something would eliminate this. i initially thought of packaging and selling it as a kit but i'm not sure anyone would pay much for it.. what are your thoughts?
my phone's camera is broken so i'll have to borrow one later and shoot a few pix to illustrate.

https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-77848-...=1506710697&sr=1-5&keywords=aquarium+air+pump

I like the solution, I haven't actually suffered any heat/fogging issues at this point. I tend to have the Rift loosely fitted on my face anyway, I get discomfort across my forehead if I have it fitted too snug, so there is a slight gap at the bottom which allows a little air flow.
My summer is on the way and it gets pretty hot here in West Oz, even with Air conditioning and I just happen to have an air pump from my tropical fish breeding days so I'm already set to go if I need to add airflow to the Rift.

Thanks for sharing this clever idea:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This is an awesome idea, i sometimes race with a fan on a chair pointed at my face to alleviate some of the fogging. If i start a race and forget to turn on the cieling fan by lap 15 i have to blow upwards into the mask to try to unfog the lens but that doesnt do much for the sweat rolling down my glasses. between the tire wear and the fogging/water its almost like driving in the rain at times :roflmao: ill definately look into this thanks for sharing!

Upvote 0
Its just way too much messing around not to mention DIY solutions are bound to fail, I do not see why we should spend so much money and then spend our own time fixing the products problems, it is not like we got it for free. I just got my rift and not enjoying it at all, also I have really bad centering issues. The camera is always off centre, as in I am always sitting just right or left of the steering wheel no matter how many times I re centre the issue does not go away. The pixels are just waaaaaaay too bad, it makes the racing lines look like they are made out of tetris cubes, the brake markers are un-readable, and tbh I do not understand what the rave is about, the immersion is dead, I do not feel like I am in a 3D environment I just feel like that there is a screen strapped waay too close to my face and when I move the camera moves with me, all in all I found the experience a pain! Will give it a few more days before I return it for a refund - the VR is an expensive experiment and I see a good future for it but atm it is way off standards, I will rather spend the money on two more monitors which work as intended and then wait the 3 or 4 or however many years they need before the VR is a pleasurable experience. It is true that it is a great time to be a simracer with all these products available to us and SIM's however VR is not a part of the crew just yet.

Although VR rated 18 videos (if you know what I mean) are mind blowing, almost reached out to touch her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I own the nose free VRCover and non-nose free Widmo VR cover. Comfortable: yes. Fogging: worse on both, most worse on Widmo VR cover because it blocks the nose gap. Now I let my Rift heat up for 10 minutes before use by opening Oculus Home manually: no fogging problems anymore.

Upvote 0
IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG
IMG_0279.JPG

Upvote 0
I never experienced fogging/heat problem, with proper hmd placement on ur head u should have enough free space for airflow on face side
still impressive pump setup :D

Upvote 0
@bloozmahn, what kind of airpump are you using?

Recently i bought the Rift and i have also the issue with fogging.
Therefore i like to try your solution.
I have an airpump, but it delivers only 50l/h of air / 3 Watt. (almost nothing)

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 76 12.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 55 8.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 37 6.0%
  • < 5 years