• "Bite off more than you can chew and then chew like hell." - Peter Brock
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Thrustmaster 24 Hours of Le Mans (LIVE)
Click the cross to dismiss this video
Dear fan, please make sure to like the video and subscribe to our channel to be eligible to win this round's prize provided by our sponsor.

My random skins

Discussion in 'Team ORSM' started by ea_silver_ghia, Nov 16, 2015.

1. ea_silver_ghia

ea_silver_ghia

Ratings:
    +64
    I've just added another car to the first post. It was a massive challenge to paint. It only took me about 2 years! Hopefully a lot of it can transfer over to the Commodore version because it was far from basic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz
    SpeedyMite Racing Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +1,109
    Yep, very impressive paint! It sure was a challenge… Well done! :thumbsup:

3. Emyr27

Emyr27

Ratings:
    +2
    Fantastic job ! :) I loved the two COTF Holden & Ford prototypes :)

4. ea_silver_ghia

ea_silver_ghia

Ratings:
    +64
    I know I've been quiet on here recently but a few months ago I decided to have a go at a retro series. There's still quite a few more to do, and I've also done the team's 2nd car (when applicable) but this is a taste of what will be coming in the new year
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. mceci1

mceci1

Ratings:
    +10
    You legend EA. Keep up the good work that is absolutely awesome. We appreciate your work

6. Russo997RSR

Russo997RSR

Ratings:
    +2
    WOW EA you have done an incredible job mate. Take your time mate.

7. ea_silver_ghia

ea_silver_ghia

Ratings:
    +64
    So I've decided to expand the range of years I'm covering with these. At first, I was going to focus on the EB-EL, VP-VS era, but have decided to start covering the AU and VT-VX era too. I'll also start releasing them soon as individual skins rather than a complete mod. I just want to do pitboxes, maybe drivers suits as well before I start releasing them. Till then, here's a couple more teasers, including the first AU based design.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. mceci1

mceci1

Ratings:
    +10
    Nice work EA, these look awesome

• Like Like x 1
  9. Emyr27

Emyr27

Ratings:
    +2
    Your retro liveries look really good :) Look forward to using them ! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. ea_silver_ghia

ea_silver_ghia

Ratings:
    +64
  11. Emyr27

Emyr27

Ratings:
    +2
    As you have already made many DJR skins, do you intend to skin the 2017 DJR Penske ? That would be great, simple but great liveries :)
    Again, congrats for your work, your retro cars are really good :thumbsup:

12. mceci1

mceci1

Ratings:
    +10
    That would have to be done on the FGX Emyr23. It would be easier for EA. I know when I first joined up here two years ago. I thought it was an easy process but working with people and doing my own skins for our online racing league I realise its not so simple to do it tidy. It is a good question though, I think a few people are working on the 2017 cars. Also good work on the retro pack EA, it looks awesome

13. ea_silver_ghia

ea_silver_ghia

Ratings:
    +64
    It's probably easy to tell I'm a DJR fan! Emyr, I can do it on the RSM FGX. It shouldn't be too hard as it is a relatively simple design. It is a great looking car though!

mceci, you're right. Before I started skinning cars for rFactor, I had no experience doing this sort of thing at all. I'm sure people who work with photoshop for a living would know all sorts of shortcuts that I don't. Making the lines on different surfaces line up, making sure the colours look right, and getting the logo placement spot on can be very time consuming. The retro stuff is easier to do the base designs (as they're traditionally very simple) but the logos can be pretty tricky, as many of them are for businesses that have since changed logos or disappeared, and sometimes it can be very difficult to work out just what the logos are from the low resolution photos and video quality from the 1990s.

14. Emyr27

Emyr27

Ratings:
    +2
    True, it should be on the FGX, but I'm not using RSM mod, I'm still sticking to ORSM. The cars look better in ORSM to me. That's why I asked about making it for the FG Falcon, although it wouldn't be perfect obviously.

15. mceci1

mceci1

Ratings:
    +10
    That's fair enough to have that opinion Emyr, but most skinners are using the RSM mod as it is a CoTF mod and the best and easiest to use. The templates are relatively easy to use and the quality of the cars are good too. Remember this was RSM's first mod and they have done a good job at it. Much better than others that are out there and it will get to ORSM's standard as the modders learn more information.

16. ea_silver_ghia

ea_silver_ghia

Ratings:
    +64
    Personally I prefer the ORSM mod too but the RSM mod is still quite good. I prefer the ORSM models (just a shame they don't have the newer cars) and find them easier to skin as there aren't too many trouble areas where logos stretch and distort (the ORSM cars have the odd one but the RSM mod has a lot more). I could probably do it on both models to be honest.

17. mceci1

mceci1

Ratings:
    +10
    Fair call. I wasn't being hostile to anyone it just seems all the new cars are being done on RSM

18. ea_silver_ghia

ea_silver_ghia

Ratings:
    +64
    Nah I get you. I do prefer to do the newer car on the current models. The RSM models are pretty good but not quite as accurate to the real cars as the ORSM cars are to the older spec cars. But still an FGX paint scheme will always look more accurate on an FGX, even if the models are slightly lower quality, hence while I still do the newer car in the RSM mod.

19. Emyr27

Emyr27

Ratings:
    +2
    RSM did a good job, and since they are the only mod using the newer cars it's great to have this mod available. ORSM cars have a level a details that not many mods match though, which is why I keep using it personally. Anyway, looking forward to any skins made by you EA ;)