My rallytrack WIP

Wanted to ask if anyone has any good ideas how to make road and terrain junctions little less noticeable with BTB? Im using only diffuse maps to get sufficient good look, later i add bump and specular.
If there is nothing to do about it then i just put a lot of grass on it rather than start using max.:rotfl:

I have max texture question. I made sign and all looks good in RBR and BTB but i dont know how to put texture back side of the sign. I can see from the back what is written on the front, i dont want that:)
index.php

I have max texture question. I made sign and all looks good in RBR and BTB but i dont know how to put texture back side of the sign. I can see from the back what is written on the front, i dont want that:)
index.php

I'm afraid you must add another parallel plane, with some offset, with another texture. Or make a thin box and texture it (make sure normals point outwards)

'm afraid you must add another parallel plane, with some offset, with another texture. Or make a thin box and texture it (make sure normals point outwards)
That is principal right, i will explain the easiest way. first create a square texture (front and back), all out of the sign make black (at alphachanel). than create a square plane in 3dsmax and map it with uvwunwrap. next copy the plane with a little bit offset (choose plane, than pull with holden shift button the axis in the right way), turn it and move the uvw map on position of backside texture. Make stake same as tree trunk. last attach all.

create a box is not the best way, because if you not maping the side surface, ingame the object will flickering. It is to much work for waste too, nobody see ingame that you have planes and no box.

Lamda

index.php
If you need I can provide you my signals' 3ds file (from European Road Elements Xpack) to start to work from it.
Let me know mate! :wink2:

• DMz

That looks brilliant!

http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/blend/blend.html

heres a way of blending 2 images in photoshop using layer masking which i find a quick and easy way to achieve a similar result. Yours does look much nicer however.

You can also use feathering selections in photoshop to create fades between 1 image and another. As long as you set your surfaces up to have a transition material section, just assign a random unused texture to it in btb, then just mod the texture in pshop after youve exported. Using the blending tool in btb can then be done as well if you want "randomise" that blend but it can be done much quicker production wize and look as good imo without heavy use of blending and shaders.

That is principal right, i will explain the easiest way. first create a square texture (front and back), all out of the sign make black (at alphachanel). than create a square plane in 3dsmax and map it with uvwunwrap. next copy the plane with a little bit offset (choose plane, than pull with holden shift button the axis in the right way), turn it and move the uvw map on position of backside texture. Make stake same as tree trunk. last attach all.

create a box is not the best way, because if you not maping the side surface, ingame the object will flickering. It is to much work for waste too, nobody see ingame that you have planes and no box.

Lamda

My sign plate is flickering in RBR by showing my parallel plane texture. How can i fix that? I moved planes more apart from one another but no big changes, still flickering

• jharro

My sign plate is flickering in RBR by showing my parallel plane texture. How can i fix that? I moved planes more apart from one another but no big changes, still flickering

a quick hack to double side rendering is to set the culling mode in the fx file, in example if your material is using "BTB_Diffuse.fx" open that file with a text editor and search for:

CullMode = NONE;

this setting basically controls the rendering of a polygon based on it's normal direction(or winding). there are 3 options for the CullMode, "NONE", "CW", "CCW".
"NONE" forces the rendering of the poly regardless the normal direction(ie. objects are doublesided).
"CCW" and "CW" are disabling rendering for poly with normals pointing to camera or away from camera. normally "CCW" should do the trick, if not then flip the mesh normals.

CullMode = CCW;

if this doesn't fix the flickering you are probably editing the wrong .fx file or you need to increase the space between the front and back surfaces of that sign a little bit more.

a quick hack to double side rendering is to set the culling mode in the fx file, in example if your material is using "BTB_Diffuse.fx" open that file with a text editor and search for:

CullMode = NONE;

this setting basically controls the rendering of a polygon based on it's normal direction(or winding). there are 3 options for the CullMode, "NONE", "CW", "CCW".
"NONE" forces the rendering of the poly regardless the normal direction(ie. objects are doublesided).
"CCW" and "CW" are disabling rendering for poly with normals pointing to camera or away from camera. normally "CCW" should do the trick, if not then flip the mesh normals.

CullMode = CCW;

if this doesn't fix the flickering you are probably editing the wrong .fx file or you need to increase the space between the front and back surfaces of that sign a little bit more.

I did everything you said, no luck. Flipping normals only made sign darker. Changed every CullMode to CCW in Program Files\SCi Games\Richard Burns Rally\FX\BTB_Diffuse.fx. Textures are only diffuse, no bump, specular or multiply. Increased distance between planes. Why there is no flickering when i create new project? I dont know what im doing wrong. Starting to hate that sign:)
Attached my sign 3ds file with textures.

Attachments

• Objektid.rar
    85.8 KB · Views: 120

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years