My new F1 and GT wheels :)

Been getting into iRacing lately and on the iRacing forums, I saw someone making a GT wheel and F1 wheel made out of plexiglass. With alot of drivers there saying that it helped enhance there experience with certain cars decided to try it out as it was much cheaper than getting one of the F1 custom wheels that are out currently. Also been looking for awhile to get my SLI PRO mounted and use my buttons, encoder and rotary switches too. Just got them all in yesterday and I must say it makes open wheelers and GT cars that much more immerse imo. Absolutely thrilled with the way they turned out. Pictures are from my phone so they aren't the best quality. Now it's time to start practicing! Can't wait to try these out with FSONE09 and FSR as well. Enjoy! :)

photo15g.jpg

photo14m.jpg

photo13t.jpg

photo12mt.jpg

photo11vi.jpg

photo10l.jpg

Couldnt help myself, had to register :)

And thanks for the praises, much appreciated. Have been making the wheels as of late to fit both the 25 and 27 so that if someone changes in the future, would not have to get a new wheel or modify existing.

I'll try to get here a few times a week, so hopefully see abit more of me.

Upvote 0

And thanks for the praises, much appreciated. Have been making the wheels as of late to fit both the 25 and 27 so that if someone changes in the future, would not have to get a new wheel or modify existing.

So your the Charlie that everyone is raving about! lol

You better get some pictures up and some tutorials (obviously without doing yourself out of sales!)

Welcome to RD and hope to see you racing too! :)

Upvote 0
Hehe. Indeed it is the man, the myth, the legend known as the Plexiglass wheel making man known as Charlie!! :) Welcome to RD. Was wondering when you were gonna join us! :)

@Jonathan, if you are set at getting the Red Bull F1 wheel and also purchasing the SLI PRO to add to it, just think how many buttons and switches you want on the wheel and take it from there and contact Charlie when you are ready. He can customize it to just about anything you would like to have on the wheel. If I was gonna get another one that Red Bull one is very niiiice! :)

Upvote 0

Hi Charlie and welcome.
You havent got time to post here until you have finished making my wheel........LOL.
From what Iv'e seen of your work and from what contact with you I have had then I can confirm that you are a legend, I can't wait to see my wheel in the flesh. Hope your working hard.

Upvote 0
been going like crazy at them, but even i need a break now and then. :) Got burnt out last week. mon-thurs working on them till 10-10:30 pm after all day frantic at work, then back up at 5:30am, wasnt doing so good friday. so started pacing myself a little better.

And thanks for the welcome all!

Upvote 0
I would like to know the same thing Ivan. I have just been guessing and going off of pictures of real wheels. I make mine anywhere from 270 to 285 for any of the formula wheels. so its more a customer preference.

Upvote 0
I've decided to help those who may be indecisive in buying a wheel off Charlie by posting the process by which you order the wheel, and then I'll add the progress photos as they come.

So, obviously, you email him with your idea, and after you bounce around possible extras (like displays, buttons, cables, grips, carbon covering etc.) you come to a cost. I will be paying 288 in all for my wheel, which is payable in an instalment before he starts making the wheel, and then another instalment when he completes the wheel. Having bounced around the ideas, he'll send you an AutoCAD drawing of button placement etc., with the chance to move them around to where you want them to be. I've attached my CAD drawing as a JPG for you guys to see what you get.

As I get progress photos, you'll see them.

Upvote 0
Cool Tom!! Excited for u and to see how this will look at the end. Keep those progress pics coming. :)

After getting both the F1 open top and GT wheel from Charlie, don't think I could ever go back to a stock G27 one. Really enhances the immersion factor while racing imo.

Upvote 0
Charlie has emailed me and there seems to be a delay on receiving parts which has had a knock on effect and caused delays. He said this in an email so thought I would post it in here:

if you know of anyone thinking of ordering a wheel, let them know am not taking any more for a bit until can get better on track. dont want to keep pushing shipping dates out. If they want to be put on a waiting list, i can do that and contact them when i am back on track for shipping dates.

Can't wait to get me wheel :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting that Leigh. if an avg 8 week lead time is ok, then can order, but to me, seems a bit long. One other thing would like to be let known concerning grip material. I had been offering it as a new feature. (Leigh you have mail :) ) I had tested it as far as trying to twist it off, but was unable to. i had not used it for any period of time and was convinced by a few others to try it. I did with reservations, it is not going to be offered anymore. I will leave it up to the customer to apply it if they want to. Seems it is starting to wear in the thumb area.

Upvote 0
i agree, thats why think just go back to my original wheels and stick with that. a little plastic cleaner/polish gets the grips back to beautifl again, same with the clear would use if i paint the grips. Its what i use on the painted body to finish polish the clear once cured if i need to cut and buff. Guess can always use gloves if need be. I dont, and dont have a problem with the clear grip on my williams wheel.

Upvote 0
Could you not still offer the grip as an optional extra?

Inform people that it isn`t perfect and will wear. But you can garentee that some people will want it anyway, as they might not want to use the wheel nekid OR be bothered sourcing their own grip material.

Just a thought?

Upvote 0
well, i suppose i could offer it, but would really rather not. the two that have replied about, both happened in about a month. I think its quite sticky even if a bit wet with sweat or wet with water when cleaning it during the process. Part of my reason for using the plex, was the uniqueness and looks. If someone wants to put it on themselves, i can point them to the link to order it.
Thanks for the thought though :) and for the record, i think the wheels look MUCh better with nekid grips!

Upvote 0
I wish I could easily get my hands on one. I would love to do a few guides on wrapping, maybe even dipping these things.

I have wrapped a few things with both handle bar tape for bikes, and bat tape. Both would produce different looks depending on the tape, but I think the right feel would be achieved. Plus, it is super easy to do.

I have also seen pistol grips wrapped in bike inner-tube, and it looked really good.

Just some ideas for people with these wheels.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back