My motion sim upgrade

I recently upgraded my Next Level V2 motion to the V3. It has sound insulation so is a bit quieter and also the positional sensors via the encoder is more precise now so slower movements and bumps feel better and smoother. Anyway for anyone maybe interested I am linking a mini review I have done. The vid show Project Cars but I am mostly racing in RRRE now that VR has been implemented and it is really good. The motion goes so well in VR and is hard now to race without it. cheers :) Be great to get a thumbs up if you like the vid, thanks.

Last edited:
Yeah good point, actually I have not experienced any problem having the sensor just placed on top of my PC (upper center in pic). In VR my experience is that I subconsciously seem to hold my head level while being moved by the motion/seat and I think this is what we do in real life too. But the range of movement is not huge at about 10 to 12 degrees in all directions from center and I see the movement of the suspension of the car especially in an open wheeler and it feels like it exactly matches the motion movement. Others might have different experience and certainly on motion sims where the whole platform (wheel, pedals etc.) move it would be better having the sensor fixed onto the moving cockpit.

I also added another vid of driving using the Rift in VR. It does look from the image on the screen that everything jumps around alot but it is odd because inside the Rift you do not get that sensation and everything does feel in sync with the motion and on screen movements, so I cannot explain that !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey guys,

I've recently purchased the V3 platform and am very impressed. However I feel some sims handle the standard settings better than others. @blanes do you have any recommendations for settings to get the most out of the platform? I primarily run all the sub settings at default and have adjusted the main intensity slider down on AC and DR, and up on RBR. Raced AMS last night and it felt amazing although i can't remember if i turned that main setting down or not. And as i ask your settings came through on the video lol. So do you leave main setting at 1.00 and adjust the individual sliders to achieve desired effect? I have never raced a real car so i guess i just want to get it as authentic as possible.

Any suggestions? Also you now have me interested in VR. I have a triples setup and never paid much attention to VR yet. With motion it now makes more sense but. Spending money makes you spend MORE money! Looking forward to your feedback. I've asked the support team to get me some sort of guide for the tuning but haven't heard anything yet.

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

I've recently purchased the V3 platform and am very impressed. However I feel some sims handle the standard settings better than others. @blanes do you have any recommendations for settings to get the most out of the platform? I primarily run all the sub settings at default and have adjusted the main intensity slider down on AC and DR, and up on RBR. Raced AMS last night and it felt amazing although i can't remember if i turned that main setting down or not. And as i ask your settings came through on the video lol. So do you leave main setting at 1.00 and adjust the individual sliders to achieve desired effect? I have never raced a real car so i guess i just want to get it as authentic as possible.

Any suggestions? Also you now have me interested in VR. I have a triples setup and never paid much attention to VR yet. With motion it now makes more sense but. Spending money makes you spend MORE money! Looking forward to your feedback. I've asked the support team to get me some sort of guide for the tuning but haven't heard anything yet.

g'day Anton, glad you are enjoying it too, I haven't been on mine for 3 days and starting to get withdrawals :speechless: It is such fun to race with the motion running. I always leave the speed at Max and the others sliders differ according to the title. I usually start by putting the overall intensity at 0.8 and then adjust the other sliders according to track & car. Some tracks that are very bumpy like Nordschleife it is good to drop the bumps down to .7 or lower according to how much you want to be knocked about. Heave I like turned up to feel a jolt going over big bumps or rapid changes in elevation. I do not like being pitched forward too much under breaking so I usually have that at 0.5 or 0.6 but I like the surge effect so have that at 1.0 or 1.1. It does really come down to personal preference and sometimes I like everything turned up a little and other times just race with the effects very subtle so have the intensity of everything dropped down some. The other factor I see affects it is your body size as smaller frame people will be thrown about quite alot so turning intensity down is better for a comfortable experience. The good thing is you can Clone the settings and try things out. The formula cars in Assetto are really wild unless you turn Pitch and Surge right down low.

RaceRoom Race Experience seems much better when all the effects intensity is turned up higher than usual and I think is something in the way the physics is output in that game as I notice I also have to turn everything up higher for my buttkickers and AccuForce wheel. It is as if the data is heavily filtered or something, I am not sure.

VR is a perfect match for motion as it just feels really great, but it is not essential and I still like to race sometimes on my big screen because the motion works just as well for the immersion factor. Good luck trying things out and have fun mate :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

I would like to ask isn't it harder to control the brake pedal when the seat is moving? like you want to trail brake.

Have you compared your lap times with the motion on and off?

It looks fun, I might get it and race offline races/hot lapping and power it off for online racing.

Thanks for your feedback
Kevin

Upvote 0
Yeah that was something I thought before I had tried a seatmover type of motion platform like this one, but you don't feel limited at all as mostly the motion cues are short sharper movements intended to trick your brain into experiencing a simulated effect of g-forces. A really good explanation is found here:- http://www.cxcsimulations.com/products/motion-pro/how-it-feels/
That gear is very expensive high end stuff but the principal is exact same. Also there are couple of reviews of V3 that show & explain better than I can.

Laptimes - Well at first it definitely made me slower by a little, but I 'aint Speedy Gonzales to begin with, however with it properly tuned in and in VR I am finding I get so focused that my laptimes are now on par or slightly faster ! Tuning the profile for a subtle effect is key and is the best anyway. The vids you see of people thrown around at speed look cool but when you are racing yourself then for realistic feeling of immersion it is true a little goes a long way which is said in one of those reviews I linked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah it looks good, I don't know much about it only that it is a guy in the Ukraine starting out and it uses simtools.

I mainly started this thread to talk about the V3 NL motion that I bought. Maybe you could start a more general thread about what other motion options are out there. Seems there would be a few people interested to contribute.

As for the Next Level V3 availability in U.S. John Sabol told in that review at ISRTV, March was when it would be widely available.
https://www.amazon.com/Next-Level-R...srs=15183097011&ie=UTF8&qid=1487484709&sr=8-9

Upvote 0
Hi Mark,

Great video, you got me considering this option for motion again.

Could you help me out and take two measurements for me?

-Total height of the frame of the nex level motion V3? Where seat will be mounted on.
-The distance between the mouting holes of the seat left /right

That will help me determine whether my GS-4 seat will on fit it.

Also because of the heavier weight of the GS-4 seat: Did you test the seat with someone who's a bit heavier and how does it impact the speed?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi Mark,

Great video, you got me considering this option for motion again.

Could you help me out and take two measurements for me?

-Total height of the frame of the nex level motion V3? Where seat will be mounted on.
-The distance between the mouting holes of the seat left /right

That will help me determine whether my GS-4 seat will on fit it.

Also because of the heavier weight of the GS-4 seat: Did you test the seat with someone who's a bit heavier and how does it impact the speed?

Thanks

Yeah mate no worries, the total height is 199mm and the distance between mounting holes on each side (front to back) is 270mm with a 15mm tolerance at the front so the frame can slide a little to position easily before bolting on.
The width between the mounting holes is 355mm centre to centre.

The specs state weight upto 130kg and while I am a big unit, I am not quite so large and it seems to throw me about considerably when dialed up to 100% but in fact it goes upto 250% but I have never run it at that intensity. Weight does impact for sure as a few light weights around 60kg have been on the rig and I had to dial it right down to around 30 or 40% because it was just too much. Regarding the GS-4 seat, if you are considering I would recommend emailing the guys at Next Level Racing and ask them directly because you do not want to get it only to find it is too much.

Those measurements come from these diagrams on the manufacturer website:-

08.jpg
09.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks mate :thumbsup:

The GS-4 seat should fit nicely and i think the height won't be any issue.

I'm waiting a response from simx about the actual weight of my GS-4 before i can start mailing Next Level Racing.With my weight combined i'm guessing the total is gonna be somewhere around 120kg.

What's your opinion on that?

Just two more questions about the motors

-Can you fix/hold the seat when getting in / out?
-Do the motors hold when powered off?

Upvote 0
Re the weight I guess it is ok, but I probably would not want to be so close to the limit, however see what NL say about it as perhaps 130 is conservative and it holds more. The motors have electromagnetic brakes so when the motion is inactive you hear them make a locking noise so there is no movement of the seat getting in or out when it is off. Those brakes come on and off automatically and seem to be something extra that is good for such a seat mover.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot mate.

I send them an email with a couple of questions. I really hope that the weight won't be a problem.

The more i read about the next level motion V3, the more i like it. It ticks all my boxes:

- small footprint
- light weight
- silent
- reasonable affortable
- can be mounted to my own rig
- 2 year warranty
- European Manufacturer
- VR-motion compensation

Can you comment on VR Headway, does it work for you?

Upvote 0
Yeah that was something I thought before I had tried a seatmover type of motion platform like this one, but you don't feel limited at all as mostly the motion cues are short sharper movements intended to trick your brain into experiencing a simulated effect of g-forces. A really good explanation is found here:- http://www.cxcsimulations.com/products/motion-pro/how-it-feels/
That gear is very expensive high end stuff but the principal is exact same. Also there are couple of reviews of V3 that show & explain better than I can.

Laptimes - Well at first it definitely made me slower by a little, but I 'aint Speedy Gonzales to begin with, however with it properly tuned in and in VR I am finding I get so focused that my laptimes are now on par or slightly faster ! Tuning the profile for a subtle effect is key and is the best anyway. The vids you see of people thrown around at speed look cool but when you are racing yourself then for realistic feeling of immersion it is true a little goes a long way which is said in one of those reviews I linked.

Thanks for your reply Blanes, really appreciate it :)

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot mate.

I send them an email with a couple of questions. I really hope that the weight won't be a problem.

The more i read about the next level motion V3, the more i like it. It ticks all my boxes:

- small footprint
- light weight
- silent
- reasonable affortable
- can be mounted to my own rig
- 2 year warranty
- European Manufacturer
- VR-motion compensation

Can you comment on VR Headway, does it work for you?
The way I read it, the V3 can take the weight of a seat plus a person weighing 130 Kg. Not the combined weight of a seat and person totalling 130 Kg.

Does anyone who owns a V3 have dimensions for the Steel Side Panels?

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 302 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 151 7.7%
  • < 5 years